Notices

This anxiety is aweful

Old 09-06-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This anxiety is aweful

For anyone out there suffering from anxiety after a binge, bender, whatever, hang in there, I'm with you. Every little pain and associated thought that goes through my mind seems life threatening. This has put me in the ER twice with a heart attack scare and a stroke scare- things that I made up in my mind. Our minds are so powerful, why is it so hard to make it stop craving? Fortunately, everything turned out fine. The lack if sleep and anxiety over several days is killer and not worth another drink!

I finally got about 4 hours sleep last night after about 7 days crappy/no sleep. I think tonight is the night.

It takes time, but I think this weekend wil be a new day and much brighter!

Thank you all for the support here. I am so glad I found this forum.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, I remember the anxiety. It put me in the hospital twice, too.
I remember one particularly hungover day when I hid in the closet I was so freaked out.
And to think I lived like that for over ten years. Existed, actually.
Thank God I never have to t through that again, if I just don't pick up that first drink.
Thanks for your post.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there.

I know the anxiety may feel crippling now, but it won't forever.

Mine has decreased on major levels the longer I stayed clean.

A lot of the initial anxiety is the body getting shell shocked from loosing it's coping mechanism.

That takes time, but it gets considerably easier as time goes on.

Early sobriety is scary and messy and exhausting. It's terrible for the first few months...or it was for me.

However, if you hang in there and get some time under your belt, you'll be amazed at how good you can feel again.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
All is Change

One of the pithiest sayings in AA is 'this too will pass'. So true. Before it does you have to put up with uncomfortable stuff. The more you can put up with it the more it passes. Hang in there.

I have found that much of my anxiety has eased with a change in diet. Some foods like wheat, gluten and dairy irritates my bowels and make me anxious.

Exercise, walking et.c. helps too. My therapist explained it's something to do with adrenaline production. Be happy.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by starcco View Post
things that I made up in my mind. Our minds are so powerful, why is it so hard to make it stop craving?

Because, apparently, the anxiety and the craving are one in the same. I've come to find that out the hard way, relapsing after 6 months. Having been sober for that long, it became clear after just a few drinks that my body produced a ton of anxiety over the next few days.

That is what every drinker experiences all the time, non stop. The only hope is to end the cycle and we all know what that means.

Hang in there- it really does pass.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Alcohol and other sedatives affect GABA, the neurotransmitter that is the body's natural braking system. As the GABA system is being artificially increased by alcohol and sedatives, the receptors for GABA itself downregulate. Remove the alcohol or other sedatives and the body is in a revved up state with no way to dampen the stimulation...hence crippling anxiety. It takes time for the nervous system to produce new GABA receptors and for the anxiety levels and physical symptoms like trembling or vomiting to subside.

Alcohol withdrawal was bad enough. Try throwing klonopin or other benzo(s) into the withdrawal mix. I seriously would have shot myself in the head if I'd had a gun.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Quick update. Thank you al for the replies.

Well, I finally slept through the night last night without constant anxiety and sudden panic attacks. This was after five days of drinking and three nights on no sleep, which actually equates to eight nights no sleep (passing out is not really quality sleep).

For some reason, I was still tired today after a full night's sleep. I am also still bloated. Has anyone else experienced this? Hopefully I can sleep good tonight.