Notices

Drinkers who quit who are/were on BP medication

Old 09-06-2018, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinkers who quit who are/were on BP medication

Hello all, I was wondering if any drinkers on BP meds who quit drinking were able to do something about switching Meds, or got off them completely? I am concerned about potential liver damage from those Meds even though I quit drinking. Is that even a concern once you quit? Are there other safer Meds?

Thanks!

Old 09-06-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm on 3 different BP medicnes. All do different things to keep my BP down. When I was in ICU, my liver was TERRIBLY damaged...even with those 3 medications that I've been on since I got out of the hospital 2+ years ago... my blood panel came back with all normal numbers a week ago.

So, not only did my liver function improve while on my pile of meds, but they returned to normal.

Doctors take all of our history into consideration when prescribing meds once we're sober. I wouldn't worry about it. Just be 110% honest with your dr.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
I'm on 3 different BP medicnes. All do different things to keep my BP down. When I was in ICU, my liver was TERRIBLY damaged...even with those 3 medications that I've been on since I got out of the hospital 2+ years ago... my blood panel came back with all normal numbers a week ago.

So, not only did my liver function improve while on my pile of meds, but they returned to normal.

Doctors take all of our history into consideration when prescribing meds once we're sober. I wouldn't worry about it. Just be 110% honest with your dr.
Do you mean after you quit 2 yrs ago? Sorry, just don't follow the time you quit, unless that was the ICU part. Thanks for your reply.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by starcco View Post
Do you mean after you quit 2 yrs ago? Sorry, just don't follow the time you quit, unless that was the ICU part. Thanks for your reply.

I'm 2 years and 6 months sober. I was admitted to the ER and placed in intensive care for a week.

I'm not sure what they had me on when i was in the hospital.

Once I was discharged, I was put on 3 different meds for my BP.
That would bave been 1 week into my 2 years and 6 months of sobriety.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sober style

I was on Lisinopril, Amlodipine, and Atenolol back when I first quit drinking. The combination of weight loss, daily exercise, and no alcohol got me off them for good, haven't taken anything in over a year now. I always hated how they made me feel so that couldn't have been better, score another triumph for the sober life.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
I was on Lisinopril, Amlodipine, and Atenolol back when I first quit drinking. The combination of weight loss, daily exercise, and no alcohol got me off them for good, haven't taken anything in over a year now. I always hated how they made me feel so that couldn't have been better, score another triumph for the sober life.
I'm on 2 of those...Lisinopril and Amlodipine and they added metoprolol because of my initial heart damage and irregular rhythm that was caused from years of untreated withdrawal.

My dr did say pretty much exactly what Snazzy did. I could get off all 3 if i lose enough weight. I also have to take meds for my kidneys and pancreas.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was taking blood pressure meds while I was drinking. A few months after I quit drinking and started exercising (I think it was about 6 or so months later) my doc suggested stopping taking the meds for a while and monitoring my BP - it was back in the normal range, so I dropped the meds. My BP has been good since then. My A1C (blood sugar) level has also improved.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the replies. I was just trying to see if BP meds will cause liver damage if you have to stay on them, even if you quit drinking.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

i'm not a doctor but i have a friend everytime he quits drinking his BP drops and he has to get off his BP meds or he starts passing out etc..

if anything its osmething to take into consideration when one quits and to talk to there doctor about.