Notices

Sober 7 months

Old 09-06-2018, 05:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober 7 months

I don't post much, but I read a lot on here. That helps a lot.
It has become easier staying sober, but not going to lie I still find my self thinking about drinking sometimes. But its getting easier to stop myself. I just think about all the bad stuff. Hangover, trying to look for left overs or waiting for the store to open while withdrawing.
Anyways sitting here drinking coffee and feeling pretty good. Last year it would've been beers to get ready for work. Glad those days are behind me.
If your just getting sober, there is hope. If I can stop you can too.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations Tomtj on 7 months! That's just awesome.

I think it is perfectly normal to still be thinking about drinking. It seems, though, that you have a good perspective and you aren't glorifying your drinking days, which seems healthy to me. As all of this gets further and further in my rear view mirror, I still think about drinking and about the insanity I was living. Like you, drinking beer to get ready for work is on that list. What's worse, I (you too maybe) was somehow able, for a time, to convince myself that I didn't really have a problem even as I was drinking beer for breakfast. Crazy.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear from you Tomtj - and congrats on 7 months
I had brief thoughts about drinking all through my first year - but they did get weaker and less frequent,

As I'm oft to say it's not thinking about drinking that marks the success or failure of our recovery - its what we do about those thoughts thats the real measure

sounds like you're doing great

D
Old 09-06-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks sober
Thanks dee
Old 09-06-2018, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
That is awesome.
I am 4 and a half moths sober and mysponsor told me that I will get those thoughts probably for a long time but it is what I do about them that matters. I had a problem with my washing machine the other day and the first thought that popped into my head was "I need a drink", I had no Control over that thought but I just laughed at it and told it to get lost. I DO have control over what I do with it. Before I would have just acted on that impulsively. I think the danger is when we then start entertaining those thoughts. They need to be shut down quickly.

Edited to say ahhhh Dee! Just read your reply will you be my sponsor???????!!!!!
Old 09-07-2018, 06:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you guys!!!
Thinking about all the positive things within 7 months is a great moviter. Got a pretty good pay increase at work. Don't know if I'm doing that much better or I was just up for a rise. Been working for the same company for 14 years. Having more money to spend on my family. Wife and kids are happier. My wife hasn't said don't be drunk when we get home. Use to run down to the store and get high octane beer when she went to do some errands.
Wow the things I would do and I think nobody notices..lol
Old 09-07-2018, 12:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done
Old 09-08-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job, Tomtj!
Old 09-09-2018, 04:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats on 7 months! Keep it up, it just keeps getting better and better!!