Notices

Corporate policy on drinking at work events

Old 08-29-2018, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Corporate policy on drinking at work events

My organization sent out a memo reiterating the corporate policy on drinking at corporate events etc. The more I read the statements about how alcohol can lubricate and enhance corporate functions and then the next sentence talks about how you can lose your job and all the negative consequences of alcohol in excess.

So to my point, I found myself getting aggravated about this policy. Why don't we just scrap it. Why do we need to offer alcohol and the company having to make a written policy and to put down in the policy that it's imperative that teetotallers can feel welcome at these events. Why not just prohibit alcohol at work functions. Why on earth do we need drinking at these events when it is such a hassle that we have to have legal department remind people about said policy. After five years of not drinking I don't see any point in drinking at work events period. I know there's always someone saying that, oh it can be a social lubricant. Why on earth can't we be ourselves at all times. I'm fed up with the way alcohol in western culture is so prevalent. Sorry for the rant. P.S. I know I don't have to drink and yes I know some people like to do it, but why on earth does it have to be every you go.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My husband's work used to provide the full cocktail experience at Xmas including rounds of shots before and after. used to. The last time his work did that?

-a female co-worker sexually assaulted a male married co-worker in front of his wife
-about ten people vomited in the restaurant and in the bathrooms
-several people jeered and heckled the CEO speech
-the company spent upwards of $10,000 just for the open bar
-another female co-worker had to be reprimanded for sexual harassment or at least raunchy behavior unbecoming a professional in a work related event
-the female co-worker who actually assaulted was fired

so basically what alcohol does is remove all higher level thinking and let people loose with uncontrolled behavior. Now his work does closed alcohol (paid) bars with open dessert bars, this year they have planned a taco bar with beer only.

I agree with you. I loved that licentious part of booze but boy, can it cause major problems for professional conduct and reputations.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I visited an old employer recently. This is a large national company, distributor of a brand of machinery that is a world leader. It is a big show. It used to be quite boozy, especially in the sales are where I worked. As far as expenses went, we would more often be told off for not spending enough on entertaining clients. I don't think anyone was told off for spending too much.

This year, the entire company goes alcoholic free. Even the board room bar is goin. No booze on the premises or in the vehicles. This company has always been a trendsetter. I would anticipate many other companies will follow suit in the coming years.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I visited an old employer recently. This is a large national company, distributor of a brand of machinery that is a world leader. It is a big show. It used to be quite boozy, especially in the sales are where I worked. As far as expenses went, we would more often be told off for not spending enough on entertaining clients. I don't think anyone was told off for spending too much.

This year, the entire company goes alcoholic free. Even the board room bar is goin. No booze on the premises or in the vehicles. This company has always been a trendsetter. I would anticipate many other companies will follow suit in the coming years.
Having alcohol-free functions will certainly make the company's lawyers and insurance providers happy.

I remember firm functions from when I was a young man, and many of us drank way too much to be seen or heard in public.

Glad I don't have to remember what I said when I wake up after a firm dinner or soiree.

I remember firm drunken parties from the 1980's in which attorneys would hook up with the staff.

The firm quit sponsoring those parties.

There was too much sex and drunk driving going on.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Why don't we just scrap it. Why do we need to offer alcohol and the company having to make a written policy and to put down in the policy that it's imperative that teetotallers can feel welcome at these events. Why not just prohibit alcohol at work functions. Why on earth do we need drinking at these events when it is such a hassle that we have to have legal department remind people about said policy.
Because most people aren't alcoholic and have no problem having a drink or two.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Because most people aren't alcoholic and have no problem having a drink or two.
Technically your are right, but you got to admit that it doesn't do anything for a company but creating a hassle and potential legal problems. There are absolutely nothing positive about drinking at company events in my opinion. Even the non alcoholic drinkers can put them selves in very embarrassing positions and even in legal trouble. I'm still baffled why companies even bother with the stuff. My opinion only, yours may vary.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tnman1967 View Post
Technically your are right, but you got to admit that it doesn't do anything for a company but creating a hassle and potential legal problems. There are absolutely nothing positive about drinking at company events in my opinion. Even the non alcoholic drinkers can put them selves in very embarrassing positions and even in legal trouble. I'm still baffled why companies even bother with the stuff. My opinion only, yours may vary.
I agree.

More harm than good can come from drinking in the work/office party context.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I first arrived in New Zealand I saw an office job that looked good. Got to near the bottom of the ad and my heart sank. It said:

"We have a BYOB Christmas party and often enjoy a staff cheeky drink on Friday after work."

So everyone who works there is a complete pisshead, basically? I would have loved working there a few months ago
Old 09-25-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by tnman1967 View Post
e. I'm still baffled why companies even bother with the stuff.
One of the phrases I learned from my counselor is "Not for me". I deal with Anxiety and OCD and one of my problems was always obsessing about things that really had no relevance at all to me. Since you don't drink anymore, I would think your company's policy on alcohol consumption would fall in that category for you, no?

Alcohol is never going away, and most people don't have a problem with it - so companies and others have to have policies to deal with it. That's just part of life. Just like they have to have policies covering just about every other facet of employment.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Although the end of your post drops the P.S. that suggests you know what some of the responses to this are going to be I am still going to say - what other people do with their time, bodies, spirit, money, families, jobs has absolutely nothing to do with me not pouring booze down my throat. I certainly am not free from judgment, in fact I have to keep my self-righteousness in check in these newly sober days - but at the end of the day I think it's just a waste of time to get upset about the way in which booze is consumed and valued in society.

I'm better, my life is better, my soul is finally free. That's what matters.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think that some ‘social’/‘team building’ assume drinking. Occasionally we have awaydays and then dinner afterwards. It strikes me that most of my colleagues, certainly the less extroverted, would not enjoy the event if, like me, they are sober. After all, we have generally spent all day together/talking. I’m past feeling any social pressure to drink but it does strike me that these evenings may be a treat for those who drink, but less so for those of us who don’t.

As a result, I don’t do things with the teams I manage that are to some degree lubricated by alcohol. We have celebrations, treats etc for the team but they need to be accessible to all if there is an expectation everyone does them.

Some folks go out for a drink together amongst themselves and that’s of course fine. Equally, a few of the more sporty of us do the odd 5k together, but I wouldn’t organise a team jog and expect everyone to turn up. There are plenty of other enjoyable things to do as a team and we try to choose ones that don't assume a certain lifestyle.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

I totally agree. A very good and accurate example of the way alcohol is perceived and advertised in our society. The whole culture of drinking is utterly absurd. Even the medical profession says don’t drink, it’s bad for us in a multitude of dreadful illnesses and diseases then in the next sentence: only drink so many units a day.?!?!