Notices

Alcohol

Old 08-24-2018, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol

I just read that alcohol is now the leading cause of death and disease in the world.
There is no safe amount of alcohol to drink, new study finds.
Don't know how to post a link, just google alcohol.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sadly, it's not the least bit surprising to me anymore.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is a very good reminder. This finding was discussed in several different media outlets, including CNN just this afternoon:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/23/healt...udy/index.html

I've believed this to be true for some time, despite being an alcoholic myself. The alcohol industry will of course tell just about any untruth or half-truth to sell its products (e.g. drinking a glass of red wine per night is actually good for you), and it frightens me to think the amount of weight the advertising industry holds in terms of influence on young people. They manipulate words and statistics in order to increase sales at the expense of people's health; it's truly shameful.

This article will hopefully serve as a wake-up call to those teetering on the question of whether or not to stop drinking.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Heard it on the radio and being a few weeks into recovery, it really resonated with me.

If I was still drinking it would have been water off a duck's back, sadly.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VigilanceNow View Post
e.g. drinking a glass of red wine per night is actually good for you
I fell hard for that one a few years back: it's good for my heart, and a pleasant way to unwind after a long day! Mm, tannins! Guess how well that worked out for me?
Old 08-27-2018, 02:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep, red wine was always my first choice. Middle class, sophisticated, good for the heart (several swear words in this space!).

Alcohol can cause any cancer in the body. It gets everywhere. Frightening.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah - unfortunately that old "it's good for you - better than no alcohol" lie was one that I hid behind for years too
Old 08-27-2018, 03:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

If it helps somebody, that's great. However, alcohol has been around for thousands of years and it'll be around for thousands of more. How I choose to deal with it is strictly up to me.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Can't say I ever thought alcohol was good for me! As long as it "worked", I was going to ignore all health warnings. Now that alcohol is causing the problems rather than masking them, it's a different story. Thankfully withdrawals happened and the negatives became frighteningly apparent.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I see plenty of people in my life for whom alcohol is a fun diversion. I was just at an engagement party and most of the people there, though there were a few outliers, had a drink or two at most. If it was the old me of course, I'd be as deep in the drink as anyone. For us, alcohol is a real poison.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if I believe that one drink a day is harmful, I'm thinking that since all of this is based off independent reports of alcohol consumption then there are too many lies in the mix. Alcohol has a way of getting people to lie.

I have only come across "one drink a day" people in the geriatric population and not even age 70, more like 90. My mother will only have one drink, but not daily. Back in the 70's when my parents had wine at dinner, she'd have 2-3. Now, her One drink is actually one or 1/2 of a drink, but it's about twice a month. My dad's an alcoholic so she doesn't drink in the home.

One of my best friends told me, "I only drink one glass or one cocktail. I never have more.". so then on three separate occasions with me together we polished off four bottles. with her easily putting down almost two of those bottles, then on other occasions we'd go out and order a wine flight or two and she'd put away at least four full glasses and not even look tipsy. Now, I dont really think she's a lush like me. But she does NOT have one drink! And I've heard the one drink lie from others also.

So in conclusion: my theory is these "one drink a day" people don't exist because they are believing their lies and just spreading the lies...daily drinkers have more than one. And one drink a day people rarely drink.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Really? I thought it was cigs that was the most in causing death. I mean a beer wont kill you but 12 everyday yes. Better to stay sober then to risk any type of cancer. The sad thing is that even when people are extremely healthy vegan work out everyday they can still get cancer so idk whats safe haha.