Notices

Stupid Question

Old 08-24-2018, 12:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stupid Question

So iv been cutting back on alcohol and i have had minor withdrawls which are almost gone. If I get a beer with my mom at dinner are they all going to come back? or no? Im not planning on getting drunk or anything just something casual.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

'I'm not planning on getting drunk or anything', said every alcoholic ever.

Is it worth the risk?
Old 08-24-2018, 01:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Aniol - the fact that you've had "minor" withdrawal symptoms suggests that there has been more than a little drink involved, possibly over a longish period of time? Plus you're here on SR and you've had concerns enough to cut down the amount that you're drinking and I think, just my opinion, that you have your answer right there as to why it's not a very good idea to pick up the bottle. Best wishes.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There's a big long thread on it on the first page - I asked the same question and the resounding response was yes - once you get them it means your brain chemistry is more or less permanently altered. This was born out in my experience too. Plus, once you get them, it makes it much harder to have just one drink. It was previously a really tough mental struggle. But after WDs, it's a very unpleasant physical struggle too. The positive thing is the sensation will make you more likely to give up as it's so damn unpleasant - and ultimately dangerous.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Damn.. well I cant even get beer even if I wanted to I was just gunna share it with her at the restaurant but maybe you guys are right. I never drink in excess with family members I live with them. Usually only with friends but that just sounds like denial huh?
Old 08-24-2018, 01:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yixi View Post
Aniol - the fact that you've had "minor" withdrawal symptoms suggests that there has been more than a little drink involved, possibly over a longish period of time? Plus you're here on SR and you've had concerns enough to cut down the amount that you're drinking and I think, just my opinion, that you have your answer right there as to why it's not a very good idea to pick up the bottle. Best wishes.
And yes before I was partying almost every day for acouple weeks with friends and my brother. We drank alot alot. So I think your right.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry for the dumb question guys I know its stupid. I just usually do that with my mom when we go out and have dinner.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can make new traditions aniol

D
Old 08-24-2018, 04:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Damn.. well I cant even get beer even if I wanted to I was just gunna share it with her at the restaurant but maybe you guys are right.
I knew I had to stop drinking when I came close to death after a blackout. So, I thought, I'll just have five light beers per day, that's not drinking. It was the day I had 12 beers that I realized I'm an alcoholic and got to AA. Alcohol is alcohol.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When it comes to alcohol.

One is too much and a thousand is never enough.

It's the first one that gets you drunk. Cos once you have it, you on the path and it only leads one way. Best advice, don't go on that path.

Personally, I still go out with friends and go to pubs etc, but I just have a coke. It's my new "usual". the bar maid just pours one out for me. The thing is, it's not a hardship, I like coke.

What I'm saying is, you're still out, you're still having a drink, but you're not taking alcohol.