Notices

Managed a week without drinking , Part Two

Old 08-12-2018, 03:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Managed a week without drinking , Part Two

Thankyou for the replies Dee , August and Skipper .
Although I read these threads on a near daily basis , ( and will catch up if I miss a day or two ) , I'm not really one for posting . I may start posting more if things get particularly bad . Another reason is that I'm useless with all this social media business. This is the third time I've typed this out , as I sent the other two in the reply thread and they didn't appear . That's why I'm sending it as if it's a new thread. Apologies for the confusion .
A couple of days after I stopped drinking , I came down with a chest infection and I've been too busy coughing to want to be drinking !
Although I've told myself many many times in the past I want to stop drinking , ( and believed it ) , I feel this time that I truly do .
It helps that I'm not experiencing any withdrawal symptoms , ( chest infection ?!? ha ha ) .
Between posts , I do have a plan of sorts , although not a particularly good one . I feel I need to add to this but this is what I have so far :
To keep as busy as possible . To not carry any money for when the cravings return big time ; ( they haven't been too bad this week, although I had a couple of moments ) , and when I can start breathing again , to go to the gym .Nothing worse than doing a hard slog for an hour and then ruin it by imbibing . It's lucky I hate the gym as I would probably drink otherwise !
Thanks again and regards to all.
P.s.I don't read the , " occasionally we like to count " , posts as they have never applied to me . Now with 8 days under my belt , I may read these also !
Old 08-12-2018, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad to hear from you again, How do you think we can help you? Do you want to quit drinking permanently? That progress took a long time for me.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Summer. Sound to me like you know what needs to be done ( make a better plan, engage on the site more, take care of your health, etc ). I found SR to be a great place to help me in all those areas, hope we can help you too.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Even though there is a bit of a learning curve to online forums, I think the value is in the interacting. I hope you spend a little time learning to use the posting side, it creates a kind of accountability and introspection that just reading doesn't do.

You can always write your posts somewhere else and then copy paste them to a thread until you get it down...like in OneNote on a PC, or in the Notes section of your phone.

Best thing is to put down the drink. Everything else gets easier.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the advice August , Scott and biminiblue.
I do want to give up drinking permanently and am at that stage now that I'll try virtually anything.
What people can do for me is just keep posting , as although I'm still a bit reticent in doing so , I realise that if they didn't , then it wouldn't help people like me . I know that sounds a bit hypocritical but I'll get there at that stage where I post more , and who knows , even I may be able to give someone advice one day . I know this is for life right , (once an alcoholic always an alcoholic as they say , not that I've been told as such ) ; and that I'm going to need backup for the rest of my life , so need to read these posts . There are no quick fixes . I was reading this sight long before getting the courage up to post , back in December last year and hopefully won't leave it so long , ( and with much better results ), until the next time !
Which is Calendar Month 4th September if everything goes to plan ; (although tomorrow , Monday , is another milestone of sorts as it's 10 days , Double Figures) !
If I post before then , it'll be because I would like someone to give me an urgent pick me up because I'm faltering ; or because I've already faltered and fallen and telling you all that I'll be seeking professional advice . But I know that ain't going to happen . Not this time .
Regards and thanks again.
P.s.Good advice about pasting . I know how to do that and have copied and pasted this , so if it does go in the stratosphere somewhere , I won't have to type it all out again. It takes me forever. So much quicker to write but at least typed out you can read what I've written !
Old 08-12-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everyone has different opinions on this, but I will share what worked for me.

Use your language and your self-talk to indicate that you are done with drinking, and you are more likely to be done with drinking. "I really feel that I am done this time" which is close, but "I am done with drinking for good" is better.

Self talk. How do we perceive ourselves? Do we see ourselves as good? As strong? Or as a person who can't quit? Or can't make firm commitments?

Tell your brain out loud and the people you know out loud when situations arise, "I have quit drinking. I am a nondrinker." Daily, picture yourself going about daily life and even unusual life events as a nondrinker.

you need to tell your own brain every day that you don't drink, that you have quit, until your own brain believes this. Believes it completely. And then the fight is gone and you are sober. Alcohol makes you lie to yourself. Stop lying and tell yourself every day the truth, and your intention moving forward.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Everyone has different comfort levels and interest in it onlineforums and such. In real life help is crucial to me. Other than the keeping busy stuff, truly. Have you thought about an AA meeting or other type of support?

A plan that involves specific sobriety and then recovery tasks and priorities like committing to being sober no matter what is something most of us with some sober legs under us find critical to success.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for the advice Stayingsassy and August.
I am using more positive words now and trying to think that things are going to be ok , instead of how I may have thought , which was , "with a bit of luck , " and " maybe if I can do this " etc . In a previous post , I was writing with words/phrases such as , " hopefully, " and "If I can do this ; " whereas in my last post I was mentioning about falling off the wagon and replying to myself that it wasn't going to happen.Not this time. So I'm trying to have that winning mindset .
I have thought about AA, (or some form of group meetings), but that would be the last resort. Going back to the last , or one before last post , I said if I did fail again , (ok , not very positive thinking there ! ), I would seek professional help and that would encompass that. The thing is though , one of the reasons I drank was anxiety in social situations so I'm reluctant to put myself through that. Saying that , the thought of going to a meeting fills me so much with dread it's actually a deterrent for my possibly drinking again !
Regards and thanks again.