Notices

Woke up thinking I had been drinking

Old 08-11-2018, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Woke up thinking I had been drinking

What a scary feeling, I had a dream last night that I was drinking . I remember vividly that I drank one glass of beer and didn't realize it was beer. Not sure how that was possible. Then I agonized for the rest of the dream if that was a relapse or not. What a horrific dream. I'm kind of surprised since I haven't had any dreams like that since I was newly sober five years ago.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like the classic anxiety induced "Final exams" dream where I fail and don't get into the University of my choosing! It surfaces about once a year. Glad to hear this is the first occurrence in five years. That's comforting to know.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate! I a man not as far along with you, here at two and a half years, but just the other day a friend was sharing his recent drinking dream at I think eight years. I have one from just a few months in I don't think I will ever forget, and one from a year and a half or so that was kinda funny, not completely terrifying like the first I mention, yet still...notable. Can't say how grateful I am to wake up sober!
Old 08-11-2018, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had a drinking dream the other night actually and it is an odd feeling waking up and being aware that you dont drink, but in the dream you were certainly drinking. I remember glass after glass of watered down gin and tonics and an inability to get drunk, the dream was literally just me, sitting at a table, drinking watery g&t's. Very strange. This happened just a few nights ago but hasn't happened for months before that.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sober 26 years and have a drunk dream from time to time and they're never enjoyable.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, those kinds of dreams are common, even many years into sobriety. But then again, having bad dreams/nightmares is just a part of life - and the subject is not always about drinking either.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have them on a semi regular basis. It makes sense I’d have them. Being drunk half my waking hours for years was a big part of my life. Why wouldn’t I think about that as I sleep? But it’s only in the same category as my dreams of being back in high school or seeing dead loved ones, just my brain thinking back on my memories.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I woke up overnight feeling hungover again.

It's not happened for a couple of weeks, but it does take some self re-assurance that you didn't touch the stuff.