Notices

Hi, all

Old 08-09-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, all

Hope everyone is hanging in there! Been busy off indulging in and reckoning with a food addiction and a 30 pound total weight gain and a stress fracture, so I've been busy and not drinking. Or exercising. Of course.

My foot hurts like the dickens. None of my clothes fit. But I'm still sober, married and employed. So bam, killing it! (Not.)

Anyway, hope the site has been free of diseases, accidents, deaths or imprisonments: what's in store for us if we continue to return to drinking. I'll take the weight gain. It's easier to correct than liver failure (although eating could get me that also), family dysfunction, wrecked relationships or death.

Is it easy to face life with all its difficulty? No. Is it easier than the ******** of alcoholism? Yes. It just takes time to see it.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sassy,

Love this fresh dose of optimism!!! Let's be real here -- you ARE killing it! Sorry to hear about your stress fracture; ouch But hey, you're looking at all the things you have, and it has inspired me to smile

Thanks for that!
Old 08-09-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey they didn't blot out my bad word! Does that mean we're all swearing in here now? Because I could really get behind that.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great to have you back. I was wondering what happened to you.
Yep, food won't mess up our lives like alcohol. I'm kind of addicted, too. But my metabolism is so fast and I work out keeps in check.
Now trying to get off a nasty coffee addiction.

Anyway, great to here from you and stay sassy!
Old 08-09-2018, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry about your foot but great to hear of your progress stillsassy

D
Old 08-10-2018, 04:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your foot, but I agree with Vigilance, you're killing it in other areas. This area, most importantly.

I'm really struggling with food issues and weight right now too. I wanna join a gym but I'm just not sure I could and not over do it and end up hurting myself worse in the long run.

An old timer once told me "As long as you don't drink, everything else is subject to change"

That always gives me hope. No matter how many times I fall flat on my face with the diet or exercise or am in too much pain to get at it at all, I remember that.

I'm glad you're back from your trip. Your words of inspiration and head on approach of kicking the s#it out of this illness is something this place needs.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Well said SS! Kick the sh*t out of that alcohol demon
Old 08-10-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Staying,

I adjusted my eating lifestyle over the last several weeks to a protien and high quality carb approach.

I learned it while listening in on a conversation at the gym.

I can eat a bunch, but I try not to eat any processed carbs/sugars... e.g. bread, pasta, sweets. I pretty much drink water, coffee, and tea only.

I periodically...every 3 to 10.... days eat what ever I want. But, the go to diet is healthy proteins...chicken, beef, fish....and quality carbs...like spinach, cabbage, squash etc. I use cheese, mayonnaise, apple cider vin., olive oil, seasonings etc. All the time too.

When I was a drunk I was stuck at about 250. It was in a pathetic high bp diabetes and death inducing state.

When I quit being a drunk, I slowly, as in still going, improved my diet and ramped up the physical activity.

I am sitting at 215 today. My lowest weight was 197, but that was a lot of water weight.

I believe diet is 80%. Diet changes everything.

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Agreed 100% - whatever life throws at us, it's much easier to face without alcohol holding us back. Hope your injury heals quickly Sassy.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Staying,

I adjusted my eating lifestyle over the last several weeks to a protien and high quality carb approach.

I learned it while listening in on a conversation at the gym.

I can eat a bunch, but I try not to eat any processed carbs/sugars... e.g. bread, pasta, sweets. I pretty much drink water, coffee, and tea only.

I periodically...every 3 to 10.... days eat what ever I want. But, the go to diet is healthy proteins...chicken, beef, fish....and quality carbs...like spinach, cabbage, squash etc. I use cheese, mayonnaise, apple cider vin., olive oil, seasonings etc. All the time too.

When I was a drunk I was stuck at about 250. It was in a pathetic high bp diabetes and death inducing state.

When I quit being a drunk, I slowly, as in still going, improved my diet and ramped up the physical activity.

I am sitting at 215 today. My lowest weight was 197, but that was a lot of water weight.

I believe diet is 80%. Diet changes everything.

Thanks.
I believe it too. In fact, part of the reason I wasn't here is I was struggling so hard with food that I didn't feel like I had anything to give here and my problem seemed so different to me than what people are struggling with at SR even though I know addiction really is just addiction.

I recommend the show "Mom.". whoever wrote that show knows addiction personally. The stages of the recovering. Anyway as the heroine nears the end of her first year sober from alcohol, her cross addictions start kicking the **** out of her. For her it's gambling and risky sex. For me it's food. she has to contend with the repercussions of her cross addictions and there's a lot of denial: she acts like she's got it all figured out but you see her getting cocky because she licked alcohol, then her life crumbling at the seams a bit because she is cross-addicted.

So out of desperation I pulled out my old Atkins 1972 book. I had bought it at a thrift store a couple years back. First week carbs are super low to get insulin levels way down. I'm eating but not too hungry and the pounds are dropping. Even my foot hurts a bit less. Atkins day 3.

Those of you doing keto: it's atkins, people! They just call it by another name now.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good old Dr. Atkins was ahead of his time. And at the risk of inflicting the wrath of the Keto Police, he never recommended drinking high priced CBT oil or paying top dollar for grass-fed butter and beef. I can't afford keto! But Atkins I can do...
Old 08-12-2018, 12:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arpeggioh View Post
Good old Dr. Atkins was ahead of his time. And at the risk of inflicting the wrath of the Keto Police, he never recommended drinking high priced CBT oil or paying top dollar for grass-fed butter and beef. I can't afford keto! But Atkins I can do...

I've been reading his book from 1972. He actually knew a great deal because of his experiences with patients. quite a dated book! some sexist language about women in there making me chuckle. We've come a long way in that regard. But his science is actually crystal clear and still true today.

Starting day 5 and still taking it easy, really should do some strength training but tired from the diet change. Down 5 pounds and absolutely no hunger. Sick of meat which I don't like much anyway, so Today I'll have a bit of fish.

Yeah it's funny how much marketing gets inserted into a basic concept, people always trying to make a buck, but if you just go to the store and buy your veggies and your proteins to cook in butter, that is the whole ballgame!
Old 08-12-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post

Starting day 5 and still taking it easy, really should do some strength training but tired from the diet change. Down 5 pounds and absolutely no hunger.

...but if you just go to the store and buy your veggies and your proteins to cook in butter, that is the whole ballgame!
It's fascinating how a simple dietary approach ( like folks have been using for thousands of years ) …. can garner such great results.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Arpeggioh View Post
Keto is basically staying on the Atkins induction phase.

I found relatively inexpensive CBT oil, but in reality I don't drink it that much, and I don't do the whole grass-fed thing. My friend who's on MEDICAL keto does it all, but she's dieting to survive cancer.

My 60 grams of sugar in my ginger ale today was DEFFO on neither keto nor Atkins...

Glad you're back and taking the bull by the horns Sass. I'm working through the GD hernia thing and back to working out, lost the weight I gained on vacation. Going to do a bulk cycle over the holidays once I'm healed from the surgery, which will probably happen in early October. The stress fracture thing sounds like total suckage.

I could also get behind the cursing thing....I curse like a sailor IRL.

My cross addictions were risky sex and overspending....classic mania/hypomania. Gambling was never my thing. Dealing with sex as an addiction has a lot of the same elements of food addiction. Ya gotta eat, and celibacy really isn't an option for me.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Keto is basically staying on the Atkins induction phase.

I found relatively inexpensive CBT oil, but in reality I don't drink it that much, and I don't do the whole grass-fed thing. My friend who's on MEDICAL keto does it all, but she's dieting to survive cancer.

My 60 grams of sugar in my ginger ale today was DEFFO on neither keto nor Atkins...

Glad you're back and taking the bull by the horns Sass. I'm working through the GD hernia thing and back to working out, lost the weight I gained on vacation. Going to do a bulk cycle over the holidays once I'm healed from the surgery, which will probably happen in early October. The stress fracture thing sounds like total suckage.

I could also get behind the cursing thing....I curse like a sailor IRL.

My cross addictions were risky sex and overspending....classic mania/hypomania. Gambling was never my thing. Dealing with sex as an addiction has a lot of the same elements of food addiction. Ya gotta eat, and celibacy really isn't an option for me.
Ah, dopamine. So beautiful yet so troublesome...

I did a work out in the garage tonight after the husband left for band practice, which was unbelievably difficult and made me nauseous but I want to keep the muscle I've put on. Bunch of hang cleans and front squats and 1 minute deadhangs from the bar. I know it's a protein sparing diet but also know that any diet burns at least some muscle...and I'm stronger than my husband and my 21 year old kid right now. It took time to get that strong! Only strength training until I am free of foot pain.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I'm now doing a modified keto with much more protein. Still losing fat and muscle is building. I like it better. Still (mostly!) ultra low carbs, just swapped protein for some of the fat.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good post SSassy.
Weight?
HA!
Preburns- 126kg
Just after burns- went down to 74.
NOW- 99.
Beats booze any day. I do not drive dangerously if I eat chocolate. I am not a nasty, horrible person if I have cake and I do not worry about where the cookie wrappers are the following morning.
STILL-attempting moderation in all things is the watch word for me....
Old 08-13-2018, 08:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I'm now doing a modified keto with much more protein. Still losing fat and muscle is building. I like it better. Still (mostly!) ultra low carbs, just swapped protein for some of the fat.
I'm so ready to go up the rungs on atkins. Meat, green lettuce and cream is getting pretty old but I'm impressed I managed to stay on it for 5 days. Wednesday I go up 8 carbs for one week. that means some tomato or onion with dinner, or some soft cheese, or 1/4 c nuts. Atkins did not do the net carb thing back then.

I'm down 6 pounds. More importantly the pain in my foot is minimal now and I am not overly hungry still. Just food boredom but that will get better. The kids are amazed I am walking without a limp.

When I stop losing for the week, that week is my carb limit. so you stay at that point until the loss starts again, then you add a little again.

When I'm working out I know my CCL is around 50 or so. But I'm still just wanting to do it by the book. It's a project.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Good post SSassy.
Weight?
HA!
Preburns- 126kg
Just after burns- went down to 74.
NOW- 99.
Beats booze any day. I do not drive dangerously if I eat chocolate. I am not a nasty, horrible person if I have cake and I do not worry about where the cookie wrappers are the following morning.
STILL-attempting moderation in all things is the watch word for me....
It DOES beat booze any day!!! Such an important thing to remember. Alcohol is such an immediate danger for real drunks, it can kill pretty fast: us and others not to mention the enormous toll it takes on others.

It was a learning process for me to accept some weight gain. In fact I consider it a true sign of my sobriety that I was truly putting it first, knowing how plagued with body image I have always been. It was a huge step to just let the chips fall.

Now that my sobriety is on surer footing and I am having consequences from weight gain it is time and I feel more ready for this. When you can't walk, it gets real and you know it's time for a change but I forgive myself for everything I had to do to get sober.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Agreed. My first year sober was a sugar fest, which was certainly unhealthy, but way better than my daily fifth of vodka. I finally tackled my donut addiction at one year sober. I'm still fighting with coffee and cigarettes. But booze will always be the Big One that needs the most attention; to drink again is to die (and look a real mess while doing it!)