Notices

Is it to late for AA

Old 08-05-2018, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it to late for AA

I have not drank for 7.5 years. I never went to AA. Since I stopped drinking I have done well but still don’t know how to have fun and also seem to not fit in well socially. I don’t particularly have issues with not drinking currently though so I don’t know if AA would welcome me and or help. What do you think.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's never too late to go to AA
Old 08-05-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As far as I know them, they'd love to help you! And the program, like their 12 steps are not just designed to not drink but to build a fulfilling and happy sober life. If their way works for you or not, you can only find out yourself, so I would suggest to give it a try. It won't hurt you, will it?
Old 08-05-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I saw the title of this post, I wanted to scream "NO!! Regardless of what follows, it is NEVER too late for AA!" And I still want to shout that! AA is for anyone and everyone with a desire to stop drinking and maintain sobriety. 7.5 years is amazing - congrats for that!! - but we all need support regardless of our sober time. Whether it's 7 hours, 7 days, 7 years, or 50 years -- sobriety is a challenge for anyone who has faced an alcohol problem, and we all know the issues don't just magically vanish once we finally get sober.

Get to a meeting and be honest about your intentions and where you're at; they will welcome you
Old 08-05-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by doublecheck View Post
I have not drank for 7.5 years. I never went to AA. Since I stopped drinking I have done well but still don’t know how to have fun and also seem to not fit in well socially. I don’t particularly have issues with not drinking currently though so I don’t know if AA would welcome me and or help. What do you think.
No it's never too late and there is no doubt you would be welcomed to the meetings! I just finished my 7th step today and AA has been a wonderful and very important part of my life. It helps you in so many areas of your life that if you didn't go, you would lose out on so many wonderful benefits. Please go and you will find a community of people who will support and help you through life's journey. Enjoy!
Old 08-05-2018, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

After getting sober in 2004 I didn't go to AA till 2016-17 ( I did use AA during my drinking career, since mid 80's). I then found that AA added an important dimension to my sobriety, something I doubt I would have found elsewhere. It helped me to focus and to learn to give, to be grateful.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doublecheck View Post
Yes, you certainly are welcome to join AA and the fellowship is helpful in improving people skills. Members are often quite interested in talking with those new to the rooms.

The AA fellowship can be seen as a family.

Generally a very friendly family which at times can be dysfunctional.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

no, not too late.
i stopped drinking years before i was clear on needing something else for the "rest of it all", and that something else has been addressed by doing the step work.
in case you are unclear: AA offers fellowship, and there is room for you.
but the program consists of the 12- step process, and while that overlaps with fellowship a bit at times, it is quite separate from meetings and such.

never too late if you want change and are willing to work for it.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. The fact that you stopped 7 years ago is irrelevant, you still want to "stay stopped" so you're good to go.

Sobriety ought to be more than not drinking, it should be a source of growth and strength: to learn to be 'happy, joyous, and free' regardless what comes at you day to day.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i agree, it's never too late for AA. I tried it in my early 20s...wasn't ready.
I'm going in my mid 40s and i'm getting a ton from it.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

It's never too late to join ANY support group. I don't do AA, but I just started attending online recovery meetings and I love them!
Old 08-06-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Never too late. Sobriety and recovery are two different things. It's great you have all those years of sobriety behind you, but working on your recovery can make it a whole different quality of recovery and life.

BB
Old 08-06-2018, 06:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Never too late for anything really. Making positive change in your life is always a good and welcome decision.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

The only requirement is a desire to stop drinking and remain sober.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can go to AA at any time and will be welcomed. I'm sober 26 years and still go to meetings because denial and rationalization perch on my shoulder whispering in my ear. It's wonderful to help newcomers and those struggling and the meetings are full of laughter and positive energy.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

AA helps us deal with the head, emotions, spiritual and social reintegration side of life

so no it is never too late

congratulations on your seven and a half years of sobriety, awesome work.

Van