Notices

It's been a rocky week, just checking in.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's been a rocky week, just checking in.

It's been a weird week. I woke up monday and thought I was having some sort of ...I dunno what. Maybe like an anxiety attack or something?

I got all wrapped up around the axle about things and just kinda let myself spiral emotionally.

I stayed up for like 50 hours on an insomnia based freak out and I let it continue until Wednesday morning. I just played video games and worked on cars....around the clock.

it sucked. I was in my head the whole time.

Finally, I picked myself up and decided that s#it was enough. I got to the bottom of it and talked to my therapist.

I was kinda concerned I was bipolar or something. After talking to her, she doesn't think that at all. There's no extremes...no mania..no hyper activity..no depression.....just some insomnia, frustration and an anxiety attack.

Towards the end of the session I started laughing. Not once did drinking enter into the equation. A ton of other crazy s#it...but never drinking.

But it was still frustrating for me.

A lot of days, I'm still tired from the 25 year long war with booze and drugs. I'm free of it, but all those years took a toll on me...some days...emotionally and physically, I'm worn the fu#k out.

So now...
I think fundamentally, because I want more out of life, more is required of me and sometimes that's a hard pill to swallow.

That took me 50 hours of insomnia, an anxiety attack, an emergency call to my therapist and a therapy session to figure that out.

Willing to go to any length.

thanks for listening..
Old 07-26-2018, 11:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Lpg

Hey bulldog

Sorry to hear Uv had a rough week, I hope you managed to get some rest insomnia takes its toll I suffer from it too and nightmares when I do eventually sleep. I feel your pain it's not pleasant in the slightest. Iv had a simalar week.

That's great booze didn't enter your mind too it shows your hard work is paying off. How long have you been sober for just out of curiosity, it seems to be all I think about some days.

I understand you saying about the war on booze and drugs being exhausting.

Sending you well wishes I hope the rest of your week is better and it proves how strong you are in your soberity.

I was recommended some books for anxiety in the anxiety thread here, check it out some may be of interested to you. I also was recommended prayer and meditation.

Take care lpg
Old 07-27-2018, 12:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lpg View Post
. How long have you been sober for just out of curiosity, it seems to be all I think about some days.

I was recommended some books for anxiety in the anxiety thread here, check it out some may be of interested to you. I also was recommended prayer and meditation.

Take care lpg
I've been sober for almost 2 and 1/2 years.
Once the compulsion is gone and I stopped obsessing about it, it just became another allergy to me.

Like people with peanut allergies will die if they have peanuts....so they don't eat peanuts.

It was the same thing for me after awhile with booze...it's just an allergy that will kill me so i don't consume booze...it doesn't have any more power over me at all....no more than peanut butter would have over someone who can't eat peanuts.

Prayer is HUGE for me. I'm a progressive Christian so it's always comforting to have that available to me.

I'll check out the thread. I need all the tools in my belt I can get.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
I've been sober for almost 2 and 1/2 years.
Once the compulsion is gone and I stopped obsessing about it, it just became another allergy to me.

Like people with peanut allergies will die if they have peanuts....so they don't eat peanuts.

It was the same thing for me after awhile with booze...it's just an allergy that will kill me so i don't consume booze...it doesn't have any more power over me at all....no more than peanut butter would have over someone who can't eat peanuts.

Prayer is HUGE for me. I'm a progressive Christian so it's always comforting to have that available to me.

I'll check out the thread. I need all the tools in my belt I can get.
Congrats on 2 and a half years that's wonderful. I'm glad you are past the compulsion side of it I can't wait for that. I feel tortured by it right now.

It makes sense the peanut allergy reference, very simple but makes perfect sense.

Yeah there's a great list of books on there. Prayer isn't something iv tried much of but it feels comforting when I do it.

Lpg
Old 07-27-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There are a lot of tools available to help with anxiety, glad to hear you spoke with your therapist Bulldog. I was about 2 years sober when I finally went and got some help for my anxiety, and man I wish I would have done it sooner. '

It took acceptance to deal with my anxiety too, but Mindfulness and Meditation were a big part, along with diet and exercise, cutting way back on caffeine and sugar, and I did a lot of reading too. You have to be somewhat careful with the reading part, especially on the net though, because research on anxiety can actually cause more anxiety if you start reading about all the things that are out there on the net.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post

It took acceptance to deal with my anxiety too, but Mindfulness and Meditation were a big part, along with diet and exercise, cutting way back on caffeine and sugar, and I did a lot of reading too. You have to be somewhat careful with the reading part, especially on the net though, because research on anxiety can actually cause more anxiety if you start reading about all the things that are out there on the net.
One of this 1st things my therapist instructed me to do was stop googling. Ask a doctor, therapist or this forum. Not “the www”

Totally agree on the mindfulness and meditation. I recently added that and is a good add on to bridge therapy sessions. I’ve also wayyy reduced sugar intake (I allow dark chocolate, dried fruit and some Pb cups on sat/sun). And kicked up my running routine to 6 days a week. Next week I’ll hit 6 months and only now am I starting to feel a little comfortable.