Notices

Beer smell is now sickening to me

Old 07-17-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
But I can still make beer and not drink it. If anything, that memory is a HUGE deterrent, and the taste memory isn't pleasant.
That's impressive. I'm not sure I'm there yet, as far as serving alcoholic beverages in my home.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Last night a customer came up to me to say something and his pint of Estrella was right under my nose.

I used to love Estrella, could easily sink ten pints in an evening. But last night the smell turned my stomach. Even though he had only had one pint before that one his breath still reeked of it.

It just smells sour and rotten. I must have smelled like a barmaid's apron 100% of the time!
Old 07-17-2018, 02:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skyfullofstars View Post
Last night a customer came up to me to say something and his pint of Estrella was right under my nose.

I used to love Estrella, could easily sink ten pints in an evening. But last night the smell turned my stomach. Even though he had only had one pint before that one his breath still reeked of it.
Seeing the difference in how I was, to how I am now, is very enlightening and eye opening. I also can't stand the smell of alcohol on someone's breath now, yet I never noticed it back then.

It just smells sour and rotten. I must have smelled like a barmaid's apron 100% of the time!
Old 07-17-2018, 06:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Bad breath from booze (any kind) is an intimacy/ relationship killer. I absolutely hate it. Cigarettes are too. My partner went through chemo and radiation in the past year and I could not stand his breath. I never told him that, along with his continued use of alcohol. It would seem to have been cruel to let him know but I never wanted to hurt his feelings. Just being honest here. Maybe I'm getting old but I cannot tolerate these smells any longer. Everyone needs to brush their teeth twice a day. floss, be mindful of your personal hygiene. We partners go for that!!!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree View Post
That's impressive. I'm not sure I'm there yet, as far as serving alcoholic beverages in my home.
It took a minute. I still don't trust myself with open bottles of hard liquor in the house. Beer and wine OK, I can serve them and not want it myself.

Everyone is different, has different triggers, and different levels of triggering. I had a few cases of wine left in the house when I got back from rehab, I still have some left. Just not a temptation.

Vodka is though. I don't think I'll ever have hard liquor in my house, unless I buy it for a party, open it for guests, and send any remainder home with someone or immediately pour it out. Sounds like too much trouble tho. Nobody needs a cocktail that badly, and if they do, I'll drop them off at a treatment center!

If you think it's a trigger, don't even try to serve wine and beer! Not worth it. I only knew because it was already there. I had plans to drive it all over to someone else's house but that didn't happen for a few days and I realized in the meantime that I was over it.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
It took a minute. I still don't trust myself with open bottles of hard liquor in the house. Beer and wine OK, I can serve them and not want it myself.
Thanks, MindfulMan. I really appreciate all your posts on my threads. They've been very helpful.

I guess it's an individual thing. I am fine now being around beer, wine, and hard liquor. I get a little squirrely if someone is drinking a mixed drink that I used to enjoy. But I think I just need more time. If wine and beer now smell sour and putrid to me, I'm sure I'll get there with mixed drinks. I don't keep alcohol in my home. I don't feel comfortable serving it, either. But it's interesting to hear everyone's own comfort level.

Everyone is different, has different triggers, and different levels of triggering. I had a few cases of wine left in the house when I got back from rehab, I still have some left. Just not a temptation.
Wow. That would've tempted me. I still remember pouring bottles of wine down the sink, because I just didn't want them in my house. And I didn't trust myself enough to hang on to them to give away to a friend.

Vodka is though. I don't think I'll ever have hard liquor in my house, unless I buy it for a party, open it for guests, and send any remainder home with someone or immediately pour it out. Sounds like too much trouble tho. Nobody needs a cocktail that badly, and if they do, I'll drop them off at a treatment center!
Good point!