Notices

How much and how often?

Old 07-14-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I drank when things were bad, I drank when things were good, I drank when there was a party, I drank when I was home alone, I drank when it was 5 o'clock somewhere (It didn't matter am or pm). As for How much I drank, My Sobriety counter says I have saved over $8,000 in the last 14 months

Rainman
Old 07-14-2018, 12:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
I would drink 18 to 24 beers every single day. Over time that progressed to 24-33 beers every single day. But only Miller Lite, true story. I couldn't decide if it was because it tastes great or was less filling.
You're too funny.

But you don't see drinkers like us on any beer commercials.

Just a bunch of athletic guys surrounded by hard-bodied women on the beach playing volleyball.

The Madison Avenue advertising industry doesn't want to show any people like us with marital, job, financial and legal problems.

I can't imagine why not.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Doesn't matter how much I drank or how often. It only matters that when I picked up a drink I couldn't stop.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
You're too funny.

But you don't see drinkers like us on any beer commercials.

Just a bunch of athletic guys surrounded by hard-bodied women on the beach playing volleyball.

The Madison Avenue advertising industry doesn't want to show any people like us with marital, job, financial and legal problems.

I can't imagine why not.
I seen an advert yesterday for Moet champagne in the cinema yesterday... All glitz and glamour. Had to laugh at the advert.
Its everywhere can't seem to get away from it.
It's wouldn't matter to me if it was Moet or a cheap bottle (I say bottle ha who am I kidding) of wine from the local supermarket I still drank it the same way and neither are glamorous in the slightest.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

How much and how often I drank are very much a part of my story.

For the last couple of years, I drank around 15 beers and a half pint of 90 or 100 proof vodka or schnapps on weeknights and a lot more, of course, on weekends.

Those numbers are insignificant in the context of my recovery, but they are good reminders of the dreadful mess my life had become.

Prior to hitting that level of chronic drunkenness, however, I still got drunk almost every night ( for a total of 13 years of this madness).

The interesting feature of this whole affair is that I continued to increase my drinking every year.

My drinking was certainly progressive.

Getting help to get free from alcohol was my last choice - not my first one.

Only when i achieved the requisite level of misery, panic and despair did I ask for help.

I got it, and haven't had 1 drink since.

But I have pursued working the 12 steps of AA and seeking a daily relationship with God almost as hard as I pursued alcohol (okay, not quite that much, but still very hard).

Hope this helps, amigo.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

i never really counted, but probably 10-14 beers a day. Woke up feeling some level of bad every morning for years. Towards the end I'd guzzle a couple in the morning to take the edge off, which always led to a full day of drinking and even worse in the morning, which I'd 'cure' by guzzling a couple in the morning. Sometimes I'd wake up in the middle of the night and drink a 20oz beer to kill the withdrawal and sweats. A terrible, life-wasting cycle. There is never a moment I regret pulling out of that cycle.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

And like others here, once i started I couldn't stop.

The amount of time wasted either drunk, hungover, or thinking about alcohol is staggering (no pun intended).

I remember how astonished I was by friends who'd be working or writing in the evening.... bc I was inevitably already buzzed or floridly drunk by 8pm. Now I can finally relate to them!
Old 07-19-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Traditionally a bourbon drinker. If it was right before a social gathering, I'd throw back shots of vodka thinking no one could tell. How much? I could blow through a handle in a weekend.

I drank every day, from the time I got home from work (3pm) until blackout. What blows my mind is the money spent, even on cheap $13/bottle bourbon. I was drinking half my rent payment every month!
Old 07-19-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Originally Posted by badlands View Post
The amount of time wasted either drunk, hungover, or thinking about alcohol is staggering (no pun intended).
Or hiding it from my wife, or buying it on the down-low....
Old 07-19-2018, 02:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Reading about how much we drank reminds me of exactly how much work it was to get and stay drunk.

For me, alcohol had become like oxygen.

And when I'm sick, I remember that I used to pay good money to feel that way.