Notices

Very hard not to drink today

Old 07-01-2018, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very hard not to drink today

I think I have court tomorrow. I can't get ahold of my lawyer. I'm out of money. I've lost everything. I can't get to a meeting for another 3 hours. It would be so easy to just go to the store . Just looking for some support.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A drink will make all this exponentially worse.

Stay sober and one day at a time things will get better.

Do you have any phone numbers from meetings? Call someone and talk it out, that's the power of those numbers.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Unfortunately I've been arrogant and anti-social and haven't gotten any numbers but one and she's relapsed. At this point I'm just trying to tough it out until the meeting. So I thought I'd come on here, I haven't been on the site in quite a while. I know drinking would only be a short-term solution to help me settle down. Thanks for replying
Old 07-01-2018, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Drinking would be a poor decision. You want to be clear-headed and behind your eyes when you show up in court. You don't want to smell like stale alcohol, many of the court people if not the attorneys will pick up on that believe it or not. Distract yourself today if you can't find a meeting. Get outside around nature (a great healer), go to the gym, visit with non-drinking friends. Anything but the drink. Good luck to you. Realize going to court is taking care of your problems, one at a time.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Maybe call the AA service centre or father hours number. You can usually find someone to talk to that way,
Old 07-01-2018, 07:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you, I know it would be a poor decision. I have no friends left I've driven them all off so that's not really an option. Well I've managed to stay sober I haven't changed my lifestyle so I don't have an outlet. I know that needs to change but right now I just need to not drink today. More specifically in the next hour or five minutes. I appreciate the support.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have you eaten? A big meal (or any meal, really) will blunt that feeling. A walk or some calisthenics helps immediately, too.

Anxiety is fleeting; if you can just remember that it helps a lot.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I thought about the eating thing and I'm actually eating right now it's pretty much junk food but it's all I have. I'm hoping it helps I know it has in the past.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

I'm sure your attorney will contact you if you left a message. If not, could you call the court first thing in the morning and ask when your case is on the docket?
Old 07-01-2018, 07:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

For people like us, there is absolutely no problem that a drink won't make worse. This took me many years to truly come to grips with. Stay in the moment, meeting time will be here soon. Good for you on reaching out, friend.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've left messages for my attorney the last thing I have in writing from the court is that I have to be there but verbally and in text my lawyer said it was moved. If I don't hear back from him today my plan is to just be at court. It's just brought my anxiety levels to an all-time high and I just want them to go away. I really appreciate all the support I would have been at the store by now if I hadn't reached out.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

A few years ago a lady I had been working with just suddenly went a bit crazy. She had been sober a while, was not taking anything, yet was filled with fear and highly agitated. This in the middle of the day. I bought a few things at the shop and went round and cooked her a nice healthy lunch. Settled her right down. Hard to believe the change.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How are you doing friend? Hanging in there? Just know you're not alone.

I have found just picking up some recovery material and reading it, focusing on the present can help. Do you have any AA material, or other information on recovery?

Are you spiritual or religious? That can help to if you have some positive literature to read.

Stay strong my friend, you can do this.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My goal will be to get some numbers at the meeting today.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My spirituality is somewhere that I'm seriously lacking. I've been in and out of the rooms for years. But today it's the only place I have to go. I know just showing up at the meetings isn't the same as working a program.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My knees are always available.

I find a humble prayer to be very good medicine for a troubled mind.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm at a point right now where I just feel like a fake when I do any praying. I'm going to try and head to my meeting early and see if there's anybody sitting out smoking. If not I'll just sit in my car in the parking lot. My rental car seeing as I totaled mine. I'm almost afraid of getting in the car and turning the wrong direction. One way is the meeting the other way is the store. I know the right thing to do and I'm glad I came on here to help me do it.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
nez

I just feel like a fake when I do any praying
Being on this site is a form of pray. You are seeking help. Open your heart. That which you are seeking is seeking you. Give it a shot, no harm will come from it. When I finally came to admit that I didn't know, the door opened.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You could call ahead and ask someone to come pick you up if you fear that even driving is a risk. That way you'd have someone to talk with sooner as well. There is always someone available on the general help lines. Coming here is a great idea as well, there is a wealth of support available as you've already seen. There is also the chatroom.

It's also very important for you to remember that drinking (or not) is a choice, and you have 100% control over that choice. There is no magic force that can steer your car to the liquor store or a magic hand that can reach in your wallet and buy alcohol. Each and every step along the way to drinking there are a multitude of choices that you have to consciously make - and you can also choose the better side if things. You are making good choices right now by being here and planning to get to a meeting - keep making them and you will be just fine.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the support.

I made it to my meeting. When they asked if anyone was in crisis or was wanting to drink today I went ahead and spoke up. I basically just started babbling and crying but I got the point across and I didn't even have to ask for phone numbers as I was speaking they were being handed to me. I will use them. There's another meeting later today that I'm going to as well. I hung out for a while after the meeting and was worried about my drive home so I got on the phone until I passed all my store stops. Today has been rough that's for sure. But I haven't drank.

Having this site before my meeting was critical and I really appreciate all the help.