Notices

Alcohol can ruin everything

Old 07-01-2018, 09:29 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Done4Ever View Post
Thinking wouldn’t a drink be nice. I can forget all my problems. Not going to but damn do I hate this.
That's alcoholic thinking at it's best. It conveniently leaves out the part where your problems come right back after you are done. It also forgets the hangovers, the drunk calls/social media posts, the shame and the new problems that are created while you are drunk.

Getting sleep is difficult initially - I would say that I did not settle back into a "normal" rhythm for several months after I quit drinking. Part of that was probably just due to my brain adjusting to the lack of alcohol - remember that it is a central nervous system depressant, so your mind is a lot more active once you take alcohol away. My other issue personally was anxiety - which I needed to accept as a separate and distinct issue that I needed to address.

There's lots of things you can do to help with insomnia/sleep issues too. Don't eat anything for at least an hour before bed. Stay away from stimulation like TV/internet for at least an hour before bed as well. Make sure you are drinking enough water and eating a balance diet. Cut. back on or remove caffeine and processed sugar. Get at least a little bit of exercise during the day - even just a short walk can help a lot.

It will get better and your body will sleep when it absolutely is necessary.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:25 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MovingForward1 View Post
Done4Ever,
Keep it up. I promise it only gets worse if you keep drinking or go back to it. I have lost everything. And I'm struggling to put pieces together everyday. Today is particularly hard for me and I'm going to a meeting. It's one of the only things I know to do. You can do this just stick with it.
Thanks Moving Forward. I pretty much have lost most everything. Not completely. But very very close. I went to a meeting this morning and will this evening. I think I need the 2 per day for now. It’s helping me keep sane. I’m always open to private messaging anyone and talking. Alcohol is a life killer.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
That's alcoholic thinking at it's best. It conveniently leaves out the part where your problems come right back after you are done. It also forgets the hangovers, the drunk calls/social media posts, the shame and the new problems that are created while you are drunk.

Getting sleep is difficult initially - I would say that I did not settle back into a "normal" rhythm for several months after I quit drinking. Part of that was probably just due to my brain adjusting to the lack of alcohol - remember that it is a central nervous system depressant, so your mind is a lot more active once you take alcohol away. My other issue personally was anxiety - which I needed to accept as a separate and distinct issue that I needed to address.

There's lots of things you can do to help with insomnia/sleep issues too. Don't eat anything for at least an hour before bed. Stay away from stimulation like TV/internet for at least an hour before bed as well. Make sure you are drinking enough water and eating a balance diet. Cut. back on or remove caffeine and processed sugar. Get at least a little bit of exercise during the day - even just a short walk can help a lot.

It will get better and your body will sleep when it absolutely is necessary.
Thanks Scott,
Some sleep issues are due to the ramifications I am now facing of my drinking like job loss and loss of respect for what happened associated with the job. But these other ones are good suggestions.