Notices

Yoga and/or meditation in recovery?

Old 06-27-2018, 01:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Yoga and/or meditation in recovery?

A fitness magazine I get had a write up on using meditation techniques to manage stress. It also mentioned yoga but didn't go into that too much. This is something I was always curious about, but not enough to look into it further.

Are there any books that I could read to learn more? Maybe some links?

How does yoga and meditation fit into your recovery?
Old 06-27-2018, 04:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I started using meditation early on to help me sleep, unfortunately I didn't really keep up with it once I stopped needing it for that purpose. I'm sure though, there are many benefits to be gained from doing it consistently. I will say it really helped me grasp the concept of "observing" my thoughts/feelings rather than identifying with them, and then acknowledging their impermanence. Which is kind of a big part of AVRT, so I was basically using the same (or similar) techniques just not describing it that way. It also made me more fascinated with the huge role the subconscious mind plays in our every day lives.

Yoga.. I really should have done it earlier. There's a mind/body component that's hard to explain since I'm really just starting with it. The best way to learn more is to just try it!
Old 06-27-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have not done yoga but meditation and mindfulness have been a big part of my recovery and life in general. "Ten Percent Happier" by Dan Harris is a fantastic book that chronicles the authors struggles with addiction and anxiety/panic and his journey through all different kinds of situations with yoga and meditation. It's written in very down to earth/layman's terms and a great read.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I personally think you just can't go wrong with yoga and/or meditation. I have used both for years now. In terms of being specific to addiction recovery, I always think of Diamond Dallas Page's DDP Yoga program - it's fantastic, I've been doing it for a couple of years myself as part of my recovery from eating disorders:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/17/m...cake-yoga.html
Old 06-27-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’m only on day 4 of sobriety but so far I’ve replaced my nightly drinking until I pass out with this routine “yoga, snack, melatonin, hot bath, sleep”
I’m definitely not great at yoga because I have severe back problems and had surgery a few months ago. I just looked up
Yoga for beginners on YouTube and put it on my tv and follow along.
I’ve never been great with meditation but maybe because I have 3 small children and my house is NEVER quiet, I should really try it though.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yoga became my passion last Sep (wow! sounds like a long time) and I became a devoted 6 or so time a week girl. everything in my body improved and the mental part has largely involved learning to breathe for real (I have always tended to hold my breath when stressed, etc) and also to train my thoughts on an intention for the practice and such.

You can start at home w videos- I was loathe to go in public for the first few months! Then I found a Groupon for a studio I had heard good things about and quickly became hooked. I am JUST today cleared for work/activity from a three month back injury and I sorely (ha) miss having done yoga for these weeks.

You can look at Beach Body on Demand (I think you can do just an online membership and maybe a trial- get the videos on your laptop/hooked up through TV). There are probably other good sources - seeing things (vs reading about yoga) was the most helpful for me to get started.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm not good at yoga, it hurts me and I don't have the patience for it but I do recommend trying it. I think it's a great tool in sobriety.

I do cross fit which is very strenuous, short bursts of exercise with heavy weight and intense cardio. I draw parallels psychologically with getting through the struggle of cross fit with getting through the struggle of the lows in sobriety. I believe that i am mentally stronger by facing these short challenges at the gym. I am anxious beforehand and I have to gut through them and I feel exhausted and triumphant afterward, a bit like I do when I get through a period of anger, sadness or resentment in sobriety without drinking and come out on the other side still sober and peaceful.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

At about the time I started to worry about my drinking, I also realized my lifelong running obsession was no longer doing me any favors. I found hot yoga and — with time— was able to work through both “losses” and forge a new way.

I do an hour of hot yoga every day at a studio near my house. At the beginning of my sobriety, sometimes I’d be in the back of the room, hot and sweaty and just crying silently. I grieved there, I guess. The room is dark and the whole process (breathe, stretch, build strength, sweat out the toxins) let me be who I needed to be.

Highly recommend.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Meditation and exercise are one of the, if not the best 1-2 punches to knock out the AV, and to better your life.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to do Yoga Nidra to help me sleep and the one I used encouraged me to say a positive affirmation to myself that I knew was going to come true. I used to tell myself that I was going to be able to quit drinking, and wouldn't you know it? It came true lol. I have no need for the Yoga Nidra anymore, I sleep like a baby, but I do yoga often, I find it helps me with pain relief and keeps me limber, plus it's great for stress.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't have any particular books or links to recommend, but I will definitely say that yoga and meditation help me a lot in recovery--that is, when I can actually motivate myself to do them.

Yoga and meditation keep me out of my mind chatter. It helps me to focus on serenity and being in the moment.

Yoga and meditation didn't cure me of alcoholism, but they help greatly.

Don't believe the myths that you have to be as flexible as a pretzel to do yoga. Many people who start yoga can't even touch their toes. That's the point. Stick with it, and you'll get better as you go. The goal isn't to be flexible, it's more to do a moving meditation.

Meditation--there are great apps out there, for free. Try Insight Timer, Calm, or Head Space. Keep it simple. If you don't like one type, try another. You're not doing meditation wrong if your mind chatter is going 90mph. That's what's supposed to happen. In time, it will slow down. Focus on your breath. Just let the mind chatter be. Try 3 minutes each day, slowly working your way up to 10-15 minutes. All you need is a chair or a wall to sit up straight. You don't have to sit in lotus pose. Just focus on posture and breath. That's it. Keep it simple.

Try some different yoga classes offered around town. I would avoid Hot Yoga or Astanga Yoga as a beginner, but that's just me. Maybe they'll work for you. Try to find a gentle restorative yoga to start, or look for Beginner's yoga. Don't be afraid to tell the teacher before class starts that you're new, and will need assistance. Don't compare yourself to others in the class who have likely been doing yoga for a long time.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 07-02-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I try to practice both yoga and mindfulness. In the beginning it just gave me something to do. Now I'm starting to see the benefits of it. My body feels better and I know how to calm my head down from time to time. And I have my other tools to reach out to when those things don't work. It can be just another piece to Your Arsenal
Old 07-06-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I started DDP Yoga a while back and I love it. I need to be more disciplined with it, but it's great.

I played football, wresteled, boxed, competed in MMA, rode motorcross and did a lot of weightlifting in my 20's.

In my mid 40's, my joints are terrible.
DDP Yoga has given back flexability and alot of strength with very low impact to my joints.

I'd say next to swimming, this is the next best thing for aging bodies.

It was created by an ex-WWF wrestler. I know a lot of my veteran friends use it.
Most of them come back from deployment with a horribly messed up back and this has been a good method to get that range of motion back and build back their flexibility.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

We just started a "Refuge Recovery" meeting in our area. Check out their site. There might be a meeting near you. https://refugerecovery.org/
Old 07-06-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I've done yoga, keep meditating, and the number one thing on my list is to Talk To God. It's not prayer. Just talk to God. Whenever, any time of day.

You have to open your mind to be answered.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I personally am a lover of yogaglo (ha! Autocorrect first turned that into yoga goo, which would be not that great ) though the people I have recommended it to haven’t loved it the way I do. I like that it’s $18/month so kind of about the cost of one class around my town. I like that I can do it from home because I generally have only a short amount of time. And I like that there are at least two teachers specfically in recovery who have yoga about it (Stephanie Snyder, my all time favorite teacher on the site and Elena Brower, also great). There are so many different teachers and styles. Everything from post-cycling recovery (Do I correctly recall you may be a cyclist?) to warming up for rock climbing to pure meditation to lectures on the history of yoga, etc. I feel like I am an ad but i’m Really just telling you my experience. Like most sites you can try for two weeks for free and then quit if it’s not doing it for you.

As a previous poster said, for me it’s more of a moving meditation. I’m still not super flexible but it just helps me with my mental state, which in turn helps with recovery.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I try and take a 10 min break at lunch to do breathing exercises and then use the calm app for guided meditation in the evening. I look forward to it and it really seems to help. I have OCD so am usung this in conjunction with bi-weekly therapy.