Notices

It's a burpy recovery!

Old 06-24-2018, 08:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's a burpy recovery!

Hello friends,
First let me say that I am seeing a gastro. doctor next week, so I'm getting treated and I'm not looking for a diagnosis - just wondering if anyone else had this experience in early recovery.

I'm on day 24 sober, and doing pretty well, other than adjusting to the sleep issues. Some nights better than others. What I was wondering was if anyone else had gassy stomach/burping issues AFTER quitting drinking. After a few days without alcohol, the gassiness and burping started, and it goes on pretty much constantly. Good grief how annoying. I remember reading something a long while back, about how your stomach acid could be too low from drinking, rather than high, and this could cause problems with gas, but I have been trying to stay away from internet searches in recovery (doing all that I can to stay peaceful right now).

Anyone else have similar experiences in recovery? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never had that but I hope the Dr can help Grateful

D
Old 06-25-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back grateful, congrats on 24 days. I had a lot of gastro issues during the last days of my drinking and also for a while after I quit. Drinking a lot can do some pretty serious damage to you GI tract of course, but your body is pretty resilient. Glad to hear you are seeing a doc, there could be a myriad of causes - diet, body repairing itself, etc.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep. I had it every time the alcohol wore off.

Your digestion is on a totally different path now. You could be eating more, eating different things, eating instead of drinking, eating things that don't agree with you, drinking too many carbonated bevs, eating too much sugar or processed things....also the gut takes a big hit in alcoholics and it takes time to heal the damage.

Try changing up your diet. I have no idea how to eat and I'll have a year in september. I'm still trying different things.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your support. I agree that it's a good time for me to see the gastro doc. I also think your advice to look at what I am eating makes sense too. Since going sober I have tried to eat every healthy thing under the sun all at once, and my system is probably freaking out.

Sure feels good to make it to day 25 though! First time ever. Will burp my way forward and let you know.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No burping, but it took about 6 months for digestion to get back to normal.

On a totally unrelated note, I read one of those stupid articles that pop up in Facebook news feed about the moons at your cuticles and what they mean, I was like OMG, I have no moons, there's something wrong with me! What is wrong with me, I haven't had a decent manicure in months, my cuticles have grown up too high and need to be pushed back. The problem I have is it hasn't been a summer of love for my poor nails, good thing I tore a cuticle, there was a pretty pale moon - I guess I am normal! LOL

Lots of water, good food and it will all eventually settle down.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No moons?

Hi MLH,
When I read your post I had to laugh. I've never had moons except on my thumbs - I remember seeing a TV talk show about this in the late 80s and freaked out - what, no moons? (And there wasn't any internet yet to make me even more freaked out - ha ha!).

Your reminder about water is really good too - I'm terrible about remembering water, which can't be helpful either. Thanks, Grateful
Old 06-26-2018, 11:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did the gallon of water a day challenge when I first quit. About a month into my quit, one of our kids made us do a no sugar challenge, I was like OFFS! I still drink a gallon a day and can really tell if I miss.

...and after a week, the kids have never wanted to revisit the no sugar challenge!
Old 06-26-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job on 24 days! I’m glad you’re seeing a doctor. He’ll find out what’s going on!! Wishing you the best!!