Notices

change.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

change.

I think I just don't like it much at all. Good or bad.

I'm getting ready to go on vacation next week. When I get back, i'm going to hire some contractors to get our home in shape so we can rent it out.

We've been looking at bigger newer homes. This stresses me out. I don't really know why. Expectations? The magnitude of work it's gonna take?

I don't know.

I'm not really terribly unsatisfied with this place. Wife hates it. It's just too small for the amount of junk we own. I guess we like junk. haha

So........how do i tackle this to keep it all in perspective? No clue.

You know...one of the positives AND negatives about this place is that you really can't isolate here. Too small.

Where we want to buy, i could go days without ever seeing anyone.
This place forces us not to go to bed mad and it keeps me honest.
I don't know how i would react with a s#it ton of space where i could really kinda isolate and disappear and that bothers me. I didn't think it would.

How would I react?

Right now all of this is conjecture. 25 things have to happen in order for us to move. We're not even on number one yet. I don't know why I'm reacting like this though.

hypervigilance?

that's all....just sortta kicking the tires and talking out loud.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I'm with you. I love routine. Hate change.

But change happens. Some parts we can manage, some we can't. Don't let the "can't" eat you up.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nez

Whenever I find myself projecting into the future, I try to bring myself back to the present, because this is where my life is happening, not in the land of maybes, couldbes, and possiblys.

This is not to say that I shouldn't ever think about the future, because that would be sheer folly. In order to be a well functioning human being, I need to make plans. The thing for me is that if I spend too much time on the future, I don't just make plans, I plan outcomes; and that is where things go sideways. The vast majority of outcomes don't follow the scripts that I write very well, if at all.

The biggest impact on my future, will be what I am doing in the present. I am laying the groundwork for my future, today; so I need to give the present the majority of my focus and energies.

However when I do visit the future, I can pick up valuable hints to help me as I lay the groundwork for my future in the present. Do I project on all the things that can wrong, or do I project on all the things that can go right? This gives me insight into my spiritual condition and helps me prioritize my work that I am doing on my groundwork at the present.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nez

I run into lots of people who say they don't like change. I just think that they are not looking at the overall big picture that change encompasses, only small snippets in the overall stream.

I like to change my underwear. I like to change from breathing in, to breathing out. I like to change from being awake to being asleep; and vice versa. :~)

The changes I don't like are the changes I don't want! But what the hell do I know anyway? When I walked into my first AA meeting, I didn't want to stop drinking; I just wanted to stop all the crap that was happening in my life. What the hell do I know anyway?

Give change a chance (sung to the tune of the John Lennon song Give Peace A Chance) :~)
Old 06-21-2018, 09:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
I run into lots of people who say they don't like change. I just think that they are not looking at the overall big picture that change encompasses, only small snippets in the overall stream.

I like to change my underwear. I like to change from breathing in, to breathing out. I like to change from being awake to being asleep; and vice versa. :~)

The changes I don't like are the changes I don't want! But what the hell do I know anyway? When I walked into my first AA meeting, I didn't want to stop drinking; I just wanted to stop all the crap that was happening in my life. What the hell do I know anyway?

Give change a chance (sung to the tune of the John Lennon song Give Peace A Chance) :~)
i think i really needed to hear that!! thanks!!
Old 06-21-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I'm with you. I love routine. Hate change.

But change happens. Some parts we can manage, some we can't. Don't let the "can't" eat you up.
yeah.....i think maybe the "can't "is more "i won't" unless i absolutely have to.

but there has to be a middle ground found.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful

With a lot of painful experience I've learned that change is going to happen whether I go along with it willingly or go kicking and screaming.

Sometimes I still choose the kicking and screaming route but less often than I used to. I can waste so much mental energy worrying about some of the smallest things only to feel foolish once they arrive, and as usual, it turned out not to be a big deal. Sometimes it even turned out better than I could have ever imagined.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You could also get rid of the stuff and keep the house..
Old 06-21-2018, 12:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
With a lot of painful experience I've learned that change is going to happen whether I go along with it willingly or go kicking and screaming.

Sometimes I still choose the kicking and screaming route but less often than I used to. I can waste so much mental energy worrying about some of the smallest things only to feel foolish once they arrive, and as usual, it turned out not to be a big deal. Sometimes it even turned out better than I could have ever imagined.
awesome post and exactly what i needed to hear, thanks.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
You could also get rid of the stuff and keep the house..
i wished it were that simple.....it's just not feasible anymore. We either live with a lot of important clutter or we move.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

if i had to move i'd be inclined to just leave it all light a match and walk away hahaha.

I dont mind change and new stuff to some degree. But for me I have a certain daily routine i keep and when its mucked with I'm a mess. I know I should be better at adapting and so on but It just doesnt work out well for me. I have a strict routine that keeps me balanced.

That being said I can handle change very gingerly. For example I have one day a week now flipped upside down. My whole routine for that day is a mess and its kinda bad becuase its leaving me tired and then i'm worn out and run down for a couple days there after. I need to make the same change for a couple more days in the week too and I'm just not sure I can.

My point is routines are not all bad. some of us need them. In my case I have some lines in the sand if there crossed I just duno what i'll do and that scares me

If you move to a bigger house and such you might be happier it just might kinda be a big struggle and pain temporarily till you get settled that doesnt sound all bad. Assuming you wanna do this.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

There is self imposed change that goes along the lines of changing an external thing, like where I live, to improve my internal condition.

Then there is allowing imposed external change to effect our internal condition.

In the context of the AA program, we know how these things pan out. Making external changes to improve internal problems at best provides a temporary lift.

The degree to which externally imposed change affects us internally could be connected to our ability to live life on spiritual terms, illustrated in the ability to "meet calamity with serenity".
Old 06-21-2018, 09:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
There is self imposed change that goes along the lines of changing an external thing, like where I live, to improve my internal condition.

Then there is allowing imposed external change to effect our internal condition.

In the context of the AA program, we know how these things pan out. Making external changes to improve internal problems at best provides a temporary lift.

The degree to which externally imposed change affects us internally could be connected to our ability to live life on spiritual terms, illustrated in the ability to "meet calamity with serenity".
well put
Old 06-22-2018, 05:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Be prepared. Be ready and don't push things if you don't have to.

In January we decided to sell and set the listing date for the first week of February. We had a lot of stuff to get rid of. One week into decluttering my FIL had an accident. My son and husband flew out. They were home for 5 days then left again for 3 weeks. In the midst of that, our listing went up and ee had 30 showings booked, i begged my realtor to wait because I was leaving with my daughter's to join the family. My FIL died and I flew home with the girls to accept offers. We had multiples. Dh and son were needed with his mom. The time between the listing going live and a firm offer of sale and ours to purchase was 10 days. I was 4 months sober. We closed in 50 days.
That is my horror story of a mountain of change in a short time. Looking back, it worked out well. It was crazy stressful and while we made the decision to sell, it became a whole lotta crazy change to everything in a short amount of time.
To anyone else, proceed with caution, expect everything and let it all go. 4 months later, sitting on the balcony, watching the lake, watching my critters grazing and still laughing about the fact in 5 years I managed to make 150 grand on a house and only laid a paint brush on it. Everyone though I was crazy, but the projections didn't lie. Change is scary, but it can be darn good.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The older Im getting the less "stuff" I
need to keep. When I remarried yrs
ago, I moved in with all my "stuff" to
add to the "stuff" that was already
accumulated here over the yrs.

Since then, we've illuminated lots
of "stuff" like boxes filled with back
yrs of papers, crafts, clutter. However,
i'm having a hard time wanting to let
go of my "stuff". I mean, im slowly get
rid of it, but in the back of my mind,
Im thinking I may need this or that
down the road.

In the process, I have to remind myself
that, when I pass, someone, family will
have the job, duty, chore, whatever you
want to call it, to come in a sort thru all
this "crap".

I know I cant bring it with me and
do I really want family to deal with
it. It has to be my own responsibility
to take care of business here at home
before I leave this world.

Im not sure if you are the "pack rat"
or not, someone who hates to throw
"stuff" away thinking you can recycle
it, mend it, make it work again some
day.

Women, are usually the ones who
accumulate lots of "stuff" never wanting
to let it go because there is emotions
connected to it...like me.

No one will have those memories like
we do for our own "stuff", so for me I
need to buck up and send it packing
and let someone else enjoy it as well
as appreciate it as much as I did.

Do what you need to do and think
about some of those good thoughts
shared by other members because
they do make sense.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
Whenever I find myself projecting into the future, I try to bring myself back to the present, because this is where my life is happening, not in the land of maybes, couldbes, and possiblys.

This is not to say that I shouldn't ever think about the future, because that would be sheer folly. In order to be a well functioning human being, I need to make plans. The thing for me is that if I spend too much time on the future, I don't just make plans, I plan outcomes; and that is where things go sideways. The vast majority of outcomes don't follow the scripts that I write very well, if at all.

The biggest impact on my future, will be what I am doing in the present. I am laying the groundwork for my future, today; so I need to give the present the majority of my focus and energies.

However when I do visit the future, I can pick up valuable hints to help me as I lay the groundwork for my future in the present. Do I project on all the things that can wrong, or do I project on all the things that can go right? This gives me insight into my spiritual condition and helps me prioritize my work that I am doing on my groundwork at the present.
I really like this share from nez. My husband is good at helping me focus on what we need to do NOW, and we went through this kind of discussion today about my hurt back and ramifications in our lives. I got back to a place where I think of what i did yesterday related to next dr steps that led to today's - and only today's- tasks....not next week or in Sep when we make some wedding plan decisions (we got married last year at the courthouse but are having the small "party" this year)...not....

It's not always easy but this is such an important for me to focus on- bc I'll be darned if I don't find that my projected story is often way off the mark! And, I shouldn't rob myself of gratitude, accomplishment and progress of today.

I also saw this quote today:
"What ifs" = Fear
"Even ifs" = Faith
Old 06-22-2018, 10:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aasharon90 View Post
The older Im getting the less "stuff" I
need to keep. When I remarried yrs
ago, I moved in with all my "stuff" to
add to the "stuff" that was already
accumulated here over the yrs.

Since then, we've illuminated lots
of "stuff" like boxes filled with back
yrs of papers, crafts, clutter. However,
i'm having a hard time wanting to let
go of my "stuff". I mean, im slowly get
rid of it, but in the back of my mind,
Im thinking I may need this or that
down the road.

In the process, I have to remind myself
that, when I pass, someone, family will
have the job, duty, chore, whatever you
want to call it, to come in a sort thru all
this "crap".

I know I cant bring it with me and
do I really want family to deal with
it. It has to be my own responsibility
to take care of business here at home
before I leave this world.

Im not sure if you are the "pack rat"
or not, someone who hates to throw
"stuff" away thinking you can recycle
it, mend it, make it work again some
day.

Women, are usually the ones who
accumulate lots of "stuff" never wanting
to let it go because there is emotions
connected to it...like me.

No one will have those memories like
we do for our own "stuff", so for me I
need to buck up and send it packing
and let someone else enjoy it as well
as appreciate it as much as I did.

Do what you need to do and think
about some of those good thoughts
shared by other members because
they do make sense.
Our place is very organized and clean, but cluttered with "stuff" like
I have a ton of books.

Like....thousands and thousands of books. That's what takes up a lot of space. I do collect certain ones and I do have many many more in storage but it's one thing I just cannot part with.

An of course I have a lot of entertainment stuff. Like multiple game systems in every room of the house, etc....

I have an art studio where I keep a lot of supplies on hand. That's a work necessity even though I haven't really worked since before I got sober. So you have to imagine a painter's studio with tons and tons of paint, airbrush stations, computer systems, a massive copier, canvases and art stored everywhere...3 media tables and several easels.....s#it just starts to accumulate. I can live with it. My wife is getting sick of looking at it all.

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
Be prepared. Be ready and don't push things if you don't have to.

In January we decided to sell and set the listing date for the first week of February. We had a lot of stuff to get rid of. One week into decluttering my FIL had an accident. My son and husband flew out. They were home for 5 days then left again for 3 weeks. In the midst of that, our listing went up and ee had 30 showings booked, i begged my realtor to wait because I was leaving with my daughter's to join the family. My FIL died and I flew home with the girls to accept offers. We had multiples. Dh and son were needed with his mom. The time between the listing going live and a firm offer of sale and ours to purchase was 10 days. I was 4 months sober. We closed in 50 days.
That is my horror story of a mountain of change in a short time. Looking back, it worked out well. It was crazy stressful and while we made the decision to sell, it became a whole lotta crazy change to everything in a short amount of time.
To anyone else, proceed with caution, expect everything and let it all go. 4 months later, sitting on the balcony, watching the lake, watching my critters grazing and still laughing about the fact in 5 years I managed to make 150 grand on a house and only laid a paint brush on it. Everyone though I was crazy, but the projections didn't lie. Change is scary, but it can be darn good.
That's kind of my nightmare...just reading that made me tense. I don't want to walk in with any expectations. I think if we end up moving we end up moving. If not, things are still good here.

If I can't do this with a chill attitude, i'm libel to say Fu#k it and walk away from it.

However, i respect the hell out of you being able to soldier through it. Respect.
Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
It's not always easy but this is such an important for me to focus on- bc I'll be darned if I don't find that my projected story is often way off the mark! And, I shouldn't rob myself of gratitude, accomplishment and progress of today.

I also saw this quote today:
"What ifs" = Fear
"Even ifs" = Faith
this is important for me to remember. Thanks August.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

while we're on the subject of change check this s#it out...

I was gonna save this for another thread, but whatever...i'm really awake now so i might as well get it out.

I talked with a publisher today about working again....they wanna back me, but they want me to spearhead EVERYTHING myself. Promotion in online media, youtube, pinterest, instagram, etc...get the buzz going on my project.

When I got sober I talked about wanting to work for a legacy. Something like a body of work to be proud of.

This could be that project.

Not sure I'm ready for it.

An buying a house....

I'm getting old...

blah blah blah....

My signature says "Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will" I believe I can do this with no doubt. Is it worth the effort anymore?

Gotta figure that out. and maybe I'm doubting myself right into self sabotage.

F$ck........I might need to go to therapy again. soon...

I just don't wanna do the wrong thing after coming this far.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for your kind words bulldog. It was horrible, but it just kept coming lol I had no choice.

It was timely when we moved, I read an article and the one part that stuck was the author watched as someone had died and all their stuff was thrown in a dumpster.

A fair bit went to the dump, more got donated when we moved. Including a bunch of books to the local library.