Notices

I must be learning

Old 06-20-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lpg

I must be learning

In the last week iv had a few interesting conversations regarding alcohol.
One with someone who had quit drinking for 1 year due to binging, went to meetings, and then realised she can moderate on holiday and have a few on holidays now and leave it at that (im not saying this as a message to promote anyone going back to drinking or give anyone false hope) at first my little brain went into overdrive at hearing this, my AV bounced off every wall back and forth with this idea as of course this is what I dream of being able to do. But deep down inside I know this will NEVER be me, and despite my wobble last week and not thinking properly, I made it through with out picking up, and managed to talk myself out of allowing myself to believe I can one day moderate, somewhere inside I'm learning. Learning to be honest with myself and my situation. 7 and a half months sober and not giving up!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great. Congratulations on your sober time, and keep in mind, you never have to drink again no matter what someone else is doing.
I believe, stopping drinking is a learning process, or rather, an unlearned experience.
When I quit I had to unlearn my problem with drink. My actions, my compulsion and my alcoholic thinking that one day I could drink and moderate.
It took a long time, and many slips to finally realize I am alcoholic and can never drink safely again.

It sounds like you're making great progress. You're doing a great job of thinking things through.
It got easier to stop when I gave in completely.
It has been so beneficial. Posts like yours remind of how I was, so thank you.
And please remember, a slip or relapse does not have to be a part of getting and maintaining sobriety.

Best to you.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcoholics can't moderate. If they could, they wouldn't be alcoholics. How many times did I say "I'll have one or two drinks" and end up in a blackout? Years went by like that. The two big things hampering recovery are denial and rationalization.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So true.

All of life is learning.

Congrats
Old 06-21-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Alcoholics can't moderate. If they could, they wouldn't be alcoholics. How many times did I say "I'll have one or two drinks" and end up in a blackout? Years went by like that. The two big things hampering recovery are denial and rationalization.
Seems so simple, yet I went way past the point where I could even use denial. I dropped the denial and stuck with rationalization until I pushed it to the unbearable point.

It's rather fascinating really how long it takes for an alcoholic to really believe the truth, even when the truth is scary, embarrassing, painful and dangerous and when safety and peace reside in the refusal to drink.

I have lost all illusions associated with drink. I hope that happens to you also lpg, those fantasies keep that spark in there. be careful.