Notices

Withdrawal can’t bear it what is wrong with me

Old 06-14-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Withdrawal can’t bear it what is wrong with me

Hi after going weeks had a slip 2 bottles wine 6 days ago. Been a tough week. Felt brain fog pressure in head can’t see clearly hazy anxiety off and on emotional now today pressure in head and cold symptoms. Cant remember being this bad before and the amount wasn’t that much. I got a feeling a drink would stop it but last thing I want to do. Feel like this won’t pass can’t concentrate and totally fatigued. Can this still be withdrawals? Just feel like the fog heaviness will never go and just want it to get better. How can that amount a week ago affect me like this didn’t feel this bad when I relapsed in the world past. Read posts that say it can last for months how the heck can I function that long without taking a drink to stop it
Old 06-14-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It will pass, eve. Hang on. This acute phase won't take months. Some of it is just your brain/nervous system being in hyperdrive after removing the sedative of alcohol. Then grabbing onto the fear and anxiety keeps it going.

I find a brisk walk or even 50 jumping jacks will relieve the nervous energy at once. Any moderate exercise for five minutes or so will do it.

Have you read about Kindling? Withdrawals keep getting worse each time.

Hang on. Here's an NIH Article about Kindling
Old 06-14-2018, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You just have to let go, eve123. You simply have to accept that you can't concentrate at this very moment. It's a part of recovery. It's not fun, but if I got through it, you will as well.

Just keep in mind that it will pass. It has only been six days. If you have a drink, it will only be worse next time.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear you drank Eve, and unfortunately, withdrawals do get progressively worse/longer each time for many people - it's sometimes referred to as "kindling". And you are right to think that taking a drink now would be the last thing you't want to do - because it definitely wont be one - and the withdrawals will start all over again, likely even worse than they are now. And for some of us it only takes one time - 2 bottles of wine at once is a pretty extreme amount, so yes - even drinking that one time can make things as bad as they are.

The flip side is that withdrawals are always finite - and they always improve over time. I don't know if you've seen a doctor or not but it's never a bad idea to at least get a checkup when you stop drinking to see if anything else needs attention. Many of us neglect our diet and exercise needs when we are drinking too - so it's kind of a double whammy. Eating well, drinking lots of water, avoiding affiance and sugar can all help ease the symptoms - but again please to see a doc if you think things are too bad.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Please hang in, eve. As already said, it is a process; it is not fun but we have to get through it to reach the other side.

Be very good to, and gentle with, yourself. Stay well hydrated; get plenty of rest; take in some fresh air; try to get some light exercise - even a short walk can help; take some warm, aromatic baths; have light and healthful meals.

You may want to schedule a check up with your GP and have some blood work done to make sure your levels and values are okay.

It is normal for brain fog and fatigue to last a while but they WILL improve. Be patient with the process; sobriety and recovery are worth every bit of discomfort. I swear.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It will get better, as long as you don't drink.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One day "resets" everything.

for us, anyway: because instead of the two glasses normal drinkers have, we drink 2 bottles and call it "not that much."

I agree with you that two bottles doesn't seem like much because I have a completely whacked, hijacked alcoholic brain.

That's why I don't have even a sip.

Just keep going. You'll feel better in a week or two. Your bp is out of whack still. But no more "slipping" or I can't promise you better days.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Eve. I completely understand this feeling as I have unfortunately gone through withdrawal many times. People are absolutely right - it gets worse each time, and you are more likely to get it even worse if you were to drink again now. I know the temptation is tremendous because it might temporarily alleviate the pressure/anxiety/pain, but believe me, it will only prolong the inevitable detox you need right now.

Everyone is different in how their body reacts to withdrawal. By about a week, I'm usually feeling somewhat normal and at least able to function. You will get there. Light exercise is definitely a good idea, as well as super healthy food and LOTS of hydration. I've also heard that apple cider vinegar + water can somewhat even out the alkalinity disruption caused by alcohol consumption.

Just take it easy and be kind to yourself. This happened, but it doesn't have to happen again!!
Old 06-19-2018, 08:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you going Eve?

D
Old 06-26-2018, 01:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also drank two bottles a night relapsed after a redundancy. The withdrawal first 2 days was the worst with shakes, night sweats first 4. Week on I’ve done two 6 mile walks in sea air, drunk buckets of water, taken vitamins and eaten well. I found my anxiety levels made everything worse so saw my Gp for some medication to calm that and found it very helpful. I appreciate I still have a long way to go, but I walk around feeling like a ‘normal’ person now walking around not looking at the people I used to envy. Looking puffy around the eyes, bloated and trying to rotate supermarkets to hide my addiction. Good luck 😊
Old 06-26-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm with the others- time takes time as much as it is hard to go through. Starting over would absolutely kill me (no hyperbole- I would be dead, and quickly) and it's never easy for anyone, especially the repeated experiences.

So- how are you doing now? I think it's been a few days since you shared - let us know.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just over two weeks now! Pub garden weather with my partner who enjoys a pint! Luckily he’s not got an addiction! And as an recovering alcoholic I wonder some days how lucky you are to be able to drink two beers a week and be content!? I stuck to my lime and soda. Ensured we walked and stuck to my healthy eating. I feel like a different person. I have secured a new job, something I had no confidence to do and I knew my drinking signs where obvious to old employees and would be obvious in an interview without the booze to calm me! I’ve accepted I have to remain alcohol free as just that one will undo everything! Eve, how are you doing, sending strength.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The pain of my last detox was horrible. It gets worse, never better, unless we put that plug in the jug for good.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going out there eve?

D