Notices

Reward yourself in sobriety

Old 06-12-2018, 11:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reward yourself in sobriety

I used to spend hundreds of dollars on alcohol a month. Oh, and to include late night Lyft beer runs, pizza deliveries, and drunk amazon shopping. Knock knock. Ohh boy, what did I order in my drunken state now?

Anybody else?

Well, to celebrate my sobriety, and the vast amounts of money I save per month. I did something.

I bought a brand new 2018 F150! I love this truck...and a good hour or two is spent detailing her on my days off. It’s a reminder that good things can happen with sobriety. One must spoil themselves every once in a while, right?

How do you reward yourself?
Old 06-13-2018, 01:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Around my 3 month sobriety mark, I bought myself a Swiss watch that I had lusted after for about 3 years. I'd once read somewhere that sales staff in expensive stores look at a person's shoes, bag and watch to figure out if they're worth spending time on. Who knows if that's true? I don't hang about in posh stores all that often. But I do have a very nice watch and it reminds me why I bought it every time I put it on and every time I look at it.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tangible and intangible ways!

My wardrobe and its disarray, disappearance and such was a disaster by the end of my drinking. It has been a continuing treat to build it again for the healthy, happy person I am now and my husband started this return to fashion and such as a special thing right before he proposed last summer. And recently, I finally found the exact classic designer flip flops (I wear them year round, unless wearing cute shoes) I have wanted for ages for an amazing price and a throwback style to the 80s that's back again, and got both of them with my "own" money that I make, not the "our" money of the AmEx

Treats that please others as much as they do me include a habit I developed thanks to a friend who did it - I send one handwritten card a month, to someone who comes to mind during that time. It was such a treasure to receive hers a year ago last spring that it spurred me to do the same.

The great freedom in sobriety can be treated to me and to others in so many ways!
Old 06-13-2018, 04:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I bought a brand new 2018 F150!

Omg and I was starting to really like you.
Joking the Ford's do look nice and they have fixed z lot of issues they used to have. I made my husband buy a Chev last year and he still hasn't forgiven me lol
Old 06-13-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I enjoyed reading all the replies! MyLittle, sorry...I’m a Ford guy! I’ve been lucky to have no issues with them.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I bought myself a new guitar on my one year anniversary. The financial advantage of quitting can be quite substantial - but the way I feel and live my life now is a far bigger one to me ;-)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I bought myself a new guitar on my one year anniversary. The financial advantage of quitting can be quite substantial - but the way I feel and live my life now is a far bigger one to me ;-)
Right on! I agree, those who have continued sobriety, we see the emotional, health, and overall life benefits. It's truly a blessing!
Old 06-13-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
Around my 3 month sobriety mark, I bought myself a Swiss watch that I had lusted after for about 3 years. I'd once read somewhere that sales staff in expensive stores look at a person's shoes, bag and watch to figure out if they're worth spending time on. Who knows if that's true? I don't hang about in posh stores all that often. But I do have a very nice watch and it reminds me why I bought it every time I put it on and every time I look at it.
Haha. This made me giggle. I used to sell real estate. One day a "bag lady" looking person came in.

Turns out she had $400,000 - in cash - with her to buy a house.

Book/cover and all that.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I bought a houseboat (actually a small floating house) and a brand new ski boat in the first year.

Probably a little excessive, but they never saw any alcohol in the 10-12 years I owned and used them.

Now, it's cowboy boots and clothes.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Bought a couple of cars and a van. Family holiday, countless days out, mini breaks etc etc etc. All in 15 months.
Would have done none of the above if i was still drinking.
F150, nice wheels mate.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have to laugh - my sponsor was talking about how she was fortunate with the settlement her ex husband gave her in the divorce, which was when she got sober (6 yr ago). She doesn't have to work, or worry about money, ever.

She said she had all kinds of crazy ideas - like buying a red Ferrari. Which she realized was foolish - because she was used to throwing money at things. It was interesting to hear what she "treats" herself with that's not stuff, like time and relationships....

Whatever we do, it's awesome to be able to choose our treats.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I grew up with wealthy parents and really didn't find anything about material life interesting at all. I still hate shopping in all its forms, even though we also have a fair amount of money.

I keep chickens and have an organic garden, and pretend that I don't really need to have any money at all . I'm one of those people that buys something and feels icky about it for hours afterward so I just stopped buying things except when I absolutely have to.

Studied cultural anthropology before my current career study and my favorite part was reading about people who are happy, loved and have fulfilling lives with very little currency at all.

I reward myself with cross fit and conversely...sleep and the art of doing nothing.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

I bought myself a new bluetick coonhound!
Old 06-13-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BDTL View Post
I bought myself a new bluetick coonhound!
That is the best reward! A friend of mine breeds Lacys. I wish I had the time because hers are fabulous tracking dogs. Happy hunting!
Old 06-13-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
That is the best reward! A friend of mine breeds Lacys. I wish I had the time because hers are fabulous tracking dogs. Happy hunting!
Having a good dog is not only fun but it's therapeutic. They say it lowers your blood pressure naturally.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

yep.....i do it too much. I'm sort of an impulse buyer at times. I've gotten better at it.

Made a promise to myself this year...no more toys...if i go overboard, it's gonna be on vacations with the girls.