Notices

7 weeks Sober and Physically Exhausted

Old 06-10-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 weeks Sober and Physically Exhausted

So as my title says I am 7 weeks sober today and towards the end of each day, approx 5pm sometimes earlier I become completely physically exhausted. It is 10pm now and I can barely keep my eyes open. I have just been journalling and reading SR and am posting this before I nod off
In the last weeks 7 weeks I haven't done any physical exercise and my eating habits have been a bit rubbish, I am especially consuming too mich sugar so maybe this is having an adverse affect.
Anyone relate?
Old 06-10-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I can totally relate, to all of it, we have put our bodies through hell and it takes a while for them to rebound, if your body is telling you to rest, and it doesn't effect your life in a negative way sleeping a little more than normal might not be a bad thing. As for the sugar, alcohol turns into sugar in out system, it is normal to crave it when we are trying to quit drinking, just be careful it doesn't affect your health. Beginning to move more will help with you being tired. It takes time ((hug))

Cathy
Old 06-10-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not that bad but I can definitely relate to being more tired than usual since I stopped drinking. Also the sugar cravings are super intense sometimes. I find myself getting sleepy much earlier than usual - sometimes go to bed at like 8:30 or 9pm for no reason. I work out regular but my stamina is definitely not what it used t obe.

Have you seen a doctor? There may be a legitimate physical reason why you're tired so often.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

100%. I could have written your OP.

I'm over 5 months and the fatigue and the sugar have become frequent visitors in my life, as is going to bed by 10.

Wish I stayed asleep that whole time, but that's for another post.

Not much advice to give except that it seems to be getting better very slowly. Congratulations on 7 weeks. That's great!
Old 06-10-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Yup sugar cravings are par for the course. At least for me they are and I'm feeling good these days with four trips to the gym each week. Of course a little tiredness at the end of the day goes with being 67 years old.. Those sugar cravings are a real pain in the arse however I am eating more natural sugar like fruit, honey, and kissing the ole lady.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I had a check up with my doc about the tiredness/sugar thing. I thought I might be pre-diabetic. I had the tests and they came back clear.

My firts effort at getting sober invloved some time in the nuthouse then a period of a few months dry. I had a job, but I became progressively more tired and unhappy. Towards the end of that spell I couldn't even get out of bed. I was not doing anything in the way of a program for recovery.

The AA big book talks a bit about the solution in step eleven. One of the promises goes "We do not tire so easily , for we are not burning up energy foolishly as we did when we were trying to arrange life to suit ouselves".
Old 06-11-2018, 01:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your replies.
I had a great sleep last night and feel very refreshed this am. I was thinking about what I can do to improve how I feel and well it is not really rocket science is it lol. First I am going to make sure I am in bed and lights out for about 21.30/22.00 at the latest. Earlier if I need to. I am going to incorporate some form of exercise every day. Last but not least..my diet. I think I am going to have to cut out sugar. I am sure that is the main contributor to my tiredness and lethargy. I had a really bad headache all day yesterday and I Am sure it was from too much sugar. So that starts today. I will start by cutting out the obvious things like sweets, cakes etc. All refined sugars. And replace the white carbs like pasta and rice etc with wholemeal versions and see if that makes a difference.
Thank you again for taking the time to respond. It is good to know I am not alone in this 😊
Old 06-11-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I too was exhausted for an extended period of time- I had done so much damage to my body that it made perfect sense. I had a phase somewhere in the first three months of having to lie down RIGHT THEN. Napped in the car (in a safe, and daytime space) a couple times, even!

At almost 28 mo I still take a nap most days of the week and I go through phases where I am out by 8- I do get up about 5-6 every day. Sleep is a huge priority for me as it can be a good "time out" - or it can be a way I hide.

I still battle sugar and am finally taking this last few months of serious late night eating of it seriously (ha) and cutting back and out.

Keep going- life gets better even with whatever annoying or unexpected side effects that may stick for awhile.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I too was exhausted for an extended period of time- I had done so much damage to my body that it made perfect sense. I had a phase somewhere in the first three months of having to lie down RIGHT THEN. Napped in the car (in a safe, and daytime space) a couple times, even!

At almost 28 mo I still take a nap most days of the week and I go through phases where I am out by 8- I do get up about 5-6 every day. Sleep is a huge priority for me as it can be a good "time out" - or it can be a way I hide.

I still battle sugar and am finally taking this last few months of serious late night eating of it seriously (ha) and cutting back and out.

Keep going- life gets better even with whatever annoying or unexpected side effects that may stick for awhile.
Thank you for your reply. 8.30pm here and exhausted, so going to bed.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sugar is indeed a battle and the fatigue lasts awhile.

It's off and on though...waves of fatigue for weeks then surges of energy. It probably gets noticed more in sobriety because while drinking I was always "on," I had a near constant fuel source.

that's the thing too: alcoholics run on acetate. Quit Drinking and your body relearns a new fuel source from food. Replace acetate with sugar instead of healthy fats and you've got a rollercoaster on your hands: mood and energy levels.

I know this but chose to use sugar to run, also. I'm working on changing that.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was pretty much exhausted for 3 months but, without changing anything much really, I got my energy back eventually

D
Old 06-11-2018, 11:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.
Exhaustion sucks but it is 100 times better than being hungover!!
Old 06-12-2018, 07:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

^^^ #truth!