Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Did your appearance/style change after you were sober?

Notices

Old 05-31-2018, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

I mean, intentional changes in hair style, clothing, etc? Maybe get a tattoo?

Obviously there are tons of physical changes that take place naturally once the booze isn't flooding our systems anymore (lost weight, brighter eyes, etc)
Old 05-31-2018, 07:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I started dressing in more ladylike way. Toned everything down.

I like it very much.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The ashen skin color went away.

The sunken eyes went away.

I continued to exercise hard.

I began to look like I had a real purpose in life and was not just surviving or enduring it.

I could look people in the eyes comfortably, because i was telling the truth.

I looked like, and became, a different man.

I have never gotten a tattoo or piercing.

I dress appropriate for the occasion - wear a suit and tie when necessary (for my day job) and a wife beater if I'm going to a car race.

I retired all of my Anheuser Busch and Coors clothing, coozies and other artifacts.

Ditto for the Jack Daniels accouterments.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a lot less outfits in my closet that I don't look at and go, WTF, why did I buy that? I don't buy as many clothes either, or furniture. I feel like I got off a racing train of consumption - I had to buy things, furniture, clothes, make-up, really fine food, it was incredibly wasteful, I find I am content with a bit simpler now. I appreciate open space, I don't rush to cram a piece of furniture in every corner. I don't need a necklace to match every outfit. I am dressing a lot more casual, I don't think I have worn a suit jacket more than a handful of times since getting sober. My LBDs (little black dresses), haven't even been out this spring. I have one jumpsuit I am wearing the crap out of LOL.

I have been pretty open about the fact I had cosmetic work done, it's my face I can do what I want to it LOL. Plus I am over 40, things need a little help. I don't radically change my hair as much as I used to. I am enjoying balance.

One radical change, I stopped carrying designer bags and wearing designer shoes. I still carry leather and wear good leather shoes, but they aren't top name designers. I don't feel like broadcasting what I have anymore. I'm finding a lot of great handmade bags. I've only bought one pair of shoes this year LOL and they only cost about $70. I do find myself quite different now.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

No intentional changes on my part, but my health and physical well being improved pretty dramatically over the first year. I lost weight, my skin looked better and in general i just felt better.

Is there a specific reason you ask or just a random question?
Old 05-31-2018, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Lpg

One things for sure I dont look as scruffy. More thought into outfit choices and I take care of my appearance alot more now. My skin has changed for the better. I also paint my nails now something I wouldn't do before with an unsteady hand. Tattoos....i got them both hungover but I still love them. I thought they would end up being a bad choice, one does remind me of my last relapse though🙈
Old 05-31-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I look completely different. Stopped letting myself hide behind all that make up, stopped trying to impress / intimidate with outfits. Stopped being so self-obsessessed perfectionist with my hair styling. It's all much more relaxed and natural nowadays. Not as pretty, but less desperate.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I believe that many of my problems with alcohol stemmed from trying to be someone else. Accepting who I am has led to more confidence - enough to live in jeans and a vest most of the time.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
I look completely different. Stopped letting myself hide behind all that make up, stopped trying to impress / intimidate with outfits. Stopped being so self-obsessessed perfectionist with my hair styling. It's all much more relaxed and natural nowadays. Not as pretty, but less desperate.
Yes I'm the same with make up I used to cake it on now I barely wear any. I was definitely using a mask, it's so freeing not wearing make up
Old 05-31-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lpg View Post
Yes I'm the same with make up I used to cake it on now I barely wear any. I was definitely using a mask, it's so freeing not wearing make up
I relate to this, i used to use make up as armour. A mask to hide behind.

Now i love to put light sprinkling of mineral base and bronzer, a little eye make up, bit of lippy and i am good to go. Two minutes.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post

Is there a specific reason you ask or just a random question?
Nothing specifically. I used to rock the long beard, short hair thing for many years. I just recently switched it up and I'm doing the 5'o clock shadow and hair over my ears. Just because, I guess.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can't wait to shave my head, long time coming, once I get in really good shape - I envision two months from now.

Nothing like booze-free life to get in shape.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
I can't wait to shave my head, long time coming, once I get in really good shape - I envision two months from now.

Nothing like booze-free life to get in shape.
I'm kinda aiming for that 90's grunge look. I also re-started my walking/hiking/running program again... so I'm with you on the "really good shape" thing!

Plan to buy a few of those Buff headbands... I have a few of thier beanies for cold weather, but maybe I'll wear a Buff fulltime to keep my hair out of my face.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I wear more confidence these days. I don’t wear as much makeup and I’m not fidgeting at my clothes like I so often did in the past. Only now can I see how uncomfortable I was in my own skin. Yes, I lost weight and my skin improved after drinking, but I honestly think most of the confidence comes from being able to look myself and others in the eye without the shame that came with drinking. I also take better care of myself - not rushing to work hungover or passing out before brushing my teeth, etc.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I bought a whole new wardrobe because I lost weight. So yeah, dress better and I'm a lot more confident overall. White teeth now too.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful

I used to rock that "walking dead" look when I was drinking. Never going outside (except to go buy more alcohol), drinking every waking hour, no exercise and not eating well will give you that look...unshaven, unkempt, skinny, dark circles under eyes, pale and either drunk or in withdrawals 24/7.

I haven't really done anything intentionally to change my appearance other than to get sober and take responsibility for my life again. I've always been a jeans and t-shirt/sweatshirt kind of guy when not at work unless I'm playing golf, then it's khakis/shorts and a golf shirt, and that's still my preferred "look". It's my outlook on life (my inward appearance) that has changed immensely since getting sober. It's a self-confidence and peace of mind kind of vibe I'm rocking now.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The "I don't give a damn" walking into the booze store at 9am, turned into complete shame, then finally into having respect for not only my appearance, but my life in general to stop that insanity.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Lpg

Another one I realised is I wear colour now since I quit. Before I wore black constantly, all day everyday. Prob because it was easy and didn't have to think about matching!
Old 06-01-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I pretty much have stayed the same in
appearances before, during and after
sobering up 27 yrs ago. As a lady from
the South, I love wearing my long dresses
which are cool. Not much into wearing
all those binding pants except if I riding
behind my husband on our motorcycle
going places.

I'm still a work in process on my recovery
journey forever revolving into the best
person inside and out.

As an Italian I still love my dark hair,
always pulled back or up nice and neat.

I let got of the makeup I use to wear
and never leave home without it on.
Always made up so bright and pretty.
More work then and now, I don't miss
it.

My color now are all my pretty flowers,
birds, tattoo ink I have acquired over the
past 10 yrs. Half of the time I forget I
have them.

Recovery doesn't mean I have to be
boring or let go of my appearance. I
have continued responsibility within
myself, life and recovery.

I'm a work in progress.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Love this! A common theme seems to be that everyone feels free(r) to become who they really want to present to the world, after first "ok"ing with themselves!

I would use a lot of dry shampoo to avoid washing my hair, let makeup slide, and unless in work clothes (which were usually jeans and a t-shirt at the restaurant) pretty much live in yoga/sleep wear. That sort of thing.

I looked older than I was, pale, and bruised SO easily. Etc etc.

In the 27+ mo I have been sober, I could first tell by peoples' reactions to me that what I had started seeing in the mirror (I was also one of those who didn't want to look into them before I quit) was a very different, healthy, smile-ful and younger looking person.

For me, getting highlights done every 5 weeks and learning how to actually use makeup - I wear it 99% of the time except for yoga class or the times I am just taking a shower and doing house stuff for the day. It's pretty, not too much and I have learned to emphasize my eyes most.

My wardrobe has re-grown, largely thanks the AmEx my husband gave me last summer to encourage something he knew I want to do. I have a couple of standard looks that I vary a little (expensive jeans as the foundation, for one, right now the skinny ankle kind) and definitely more color.

I do enjoy checking the mirror now!