Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Chakras, Meditation, EMDR, CBT, Reiki, Supplements, Books>>

Notices

Old 05-28-2018, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I discovered a new app called Libby. You can download audible or regular books for free if you have a library card. I listened to Change your Brain, Change your life today. Wow!! A TON of information and I listened to almost 6 hours of the book while cleaning, doing laundry, mowing etc. It throughly explains how the brain and all of it’s sectors work in personality. Talked about neurotransmitters quite a bit as well.

It goes through aligning chakras, really pushes meditation, talks about EMDR, essential oils, exercise, Reiki and goes into minimal details about supplements. A lot of meds are recommended as well. It talks how the brain looks in scans for depressed, addicted, high anxiety, ocd, compulsive people etc.

My question is, what has helped YOU? Not just for addiction but for stress relief, anxiety relief, increased energy, happiness etc? I’ve become so focused on just NOT drinking but would like to take it beyond. I am particularly interested in apps, podcasts, binaural beats or things that can be done daily in home that you all like. Thanks!!
Old 05-29-2018, 03:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

When the drink probem was removed, so was the need to focus on not drinking. Instead I focussed on living life one day at a time, and AAs 24 hour plan comprising steps 10,11 and 12 work very well in that regard.

Early AAs were big on meditation, which they called, receiving guidance. That works well for me but I am all in favour of developing deeper meditation practices if that is what interests you.

On its own as a means to sobriety? Well, it might not be enough. Beware of the sales pitch that goes with some of these things. There was a lady in NZ who does hypnosis to moderate people drinking. She said her goal was to reduce consumption by half, so a two bottle a day habit becomes a one bottle a day habit. Whe asked about success rates, she claimed 97%. Take that with a grain of salt. Even if it covered only the first five minutes, I would be in the failure side of the statistic. But it sounded good, and its just the sort of thing a suffering alcoholic would like to hear.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Running is meditation for me. No music, just me and my thoughts, while I fold deep into that familiar place in my head. It's as real a space to me as a physical place - just inner not outer.

I get into the sensory deprivation tank for an hour about once a week. It's great in there. Completely dark, completely quiet. Again, it's familiar. The interior of our minds is a real place. Once you get to know your inner world, the outside world should be a doddle.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Meditation and mindfulness have been a big part of my recovery, both from drinking and from my anxiety.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't do any alternative treatments, not because I'm opposed, I just haven't yet. I still struggle with dealing with my stress, but these are what I use, I'll try to list in order of helpfulness

1. Cross fit class. Sweaty, vigorous, social, gets me outside my own head. I start to feel worse and worse the more days I skip.

2. Gardening. Hands directly in the dirt, no gloves. Soil has natural antidepressants and also, I love growing things.

3. Keeping a regular, every 4-5 hour, balanced, four meal a day diet. Steady blood sugar, steady mood.

4. Reading. Books are soothing to my mind. I struggle to get off my tablet, which is easy but not relaxing, and make myself pick up books. It always helps.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
2. Gardening. Hands directly in the dirt, no gloves. Soil has natural antidepressants and also, I love growing things.

4. Reading. Books are soothing to my mind. I struggle to get off my tablet, which is easy but not relaxing, and make myself pick up books. It always helps.
These two are favorites of mine. We planted a lot of perennial bulbs last fall, and a pile more this spring. Did some veggies, too.

Reading is another big one! I love to read magazines pertaining to anything outdoor related.

Another big one is writing: I started a *very* rough draft of my memoirs that I may or may not publish. I journal pretty much and that helps.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Behappy. Gardening, reading, artwork and Hatha yoga for me. (And the occasional square of dark chocolate if I'm feeling racy x