Notices

AA Exhaustion and Health Issues

Old 05-28-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

FWIW, I travel a great deal which means there are some AA groups I get to visit in bursts of three or four meetings every year to eighteen months.

There is something I have observed. It is not new, it was written about in the big book 80 years ago.

There are two sub groups I have noticed. The ones that are there and still sober every time I visit, and the ones who pass through and are replaced by new faces each time I visit.

The ones that stay and recover have some common characteristics. They get involved, some in a big way, some in a small way, but they do something, other than just turn up, to contribute. Maybe they open up, maybe they clean, or make coffee, maybe the serve in some official capacity, but mostly they help others.

It is true that the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking, but it would be a mistake to believe that desire is the only requirement for sobriety. The takers don't stay.

Your sponsor, in seeking to get you involved with a little bit of helping out, is doing her best to make sure you are in the group that stays and recovers.