Notices

I'm so disappointed in myself

Old 05-04-2018, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm so disappointed in myself

I messed up. Four and a half months sober, but now a week drinking and I just can't stop. I just can't and I don't understand why. I'm so disappointed in myself. I just want to go back to the way I was feeling after 4 1/2 months. I can't believe I took that relative stability for granted. Of course I wasn't feeling perfect, but so much better than now. Sorry. Just needed to share.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The way back starts with a day one sohard. Get rid of all the booze in the house (not down your throat) get an early night and go for a day one tomorrow.

Then you can rejig your action plan

you can do this.

D
Old 05-04-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In order to stay sober you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. I hope you get to that point soon.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like pretty much textbook addiction, right?

Want to stop and can't?

I hope you'll pull out of it in time, Sohard. I really do.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The way back starts with a day one sohard. Get rid of all the booze in the house (not down your throat) get an early night and go for a day one tomorrow.

Then you can rejig your action plan

you can do this.

D
I just don't know how. Every day for the last week I thought would be my new day one. Every day I failed.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're struggling, SoHard.

It is simple, but not easy. Don't buy more alcohol, throw out what you have and tomorrow can be Day 1 that works for you and gets you back on track.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
I messed up. Four and a half months sober, but now a week drinking and I just can't stop. I just can't and I don't understand why. I'm so disappointed in myself. I just want to go back to the way I was feeling after 4 1/2 months. I can't believe I took that relative stability for granted. Of course I wasn't feeling perfect, but so much better than now. Sorry. Just needed to share.
It is terribly hard to understand. Cunning, baffling and powerful.

I still don't understand why I can't drink. I just know I can't.

There's no easy answer for you. The only answer is to try again.

simple but not easy. Hope you make it back.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Every recovery from alcoholism began with one sober hour.
So if the plan doesn't work change the plan but never the goal.
A relapse is one way to learn what didn't work, it's not a life sentence.
You can move forward to sobriety.

Best to you.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
I just don't know how. Every day for the last week I thought would be my new day one. Every day I failed.
You've done it before so the 'I don't know how' schtick from your AV is a bit disingenious.

This is you.

. Anyway, it turns out I got my dream job in my dream location, but then just like that it slipped from fingers.

What was truly amazing ,though, was that I DIDN'T DRINK. On Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday as this was being delt with (my not getting the job and my also having to smooth the very choppy waters at my school for having sought another job while under contract).

I. Did. Not. Drink.

Now, a large part of me wanted to drink, but a much larger part realized how much WORSE that would make the situation. I'd be tired, hung over, anxiety ridden, starting at square zero. It would've made a horrible situation even more horrible. And anyway, the ONLY reason I was about to be offered the dream job was because I'd been sober and been able to go out there and get it. That will never happen again if I start drinking.

For those of you who practice AVRT, that's the "Big Plan" I use. It was interesting because less of my thoughts were on "I want to drink" and more of my thoughts were "Too bad I can't drink, but I made my Big Plan to not drink and to never change my mind so that's that." What started out as seeming like a joke to me (you can change a plan, I'd once thought), now seemed firmly in cement. Permanent, despite what I may want.
you know how to get sober. You've proved that.
Do it again and then this time work on staying sober..for good

D
Old 05-04-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I feel you Sohard after my relapse back in december I have not been able to put any sobriety plan together for me. As expected things had gone from bad to worst.

try to do something before it happen to you

I am trying again i don't know how I'm going to do this. best of luck to you.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Lots of good advice here Sohard. And it is on point - you know exactly what to do time to do it, right?
Old 05-04-2018, 09:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Get back in the saddle and start over. Get involved with a local group and go to some face to face meeting, many programs out there to help! Never give up!! Wishing you the best!
Old 05-04-2018, 10:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Sohard,

I can feel your desperation and the desire to get back on track. I have been on this site for about 3 years, and have had several "good runs" (several months sober at a time), and then I would always fall back into the hole of despair (week long binders).

My last binder ended Jan 31st, and I looked in the mirror and realized that ANYTHING would be better than what I was feeling then....
I made the commitment to stop, for good, and I am willing to do WHATEVER it takes to stay that way.

You know the first days will be rough, maybe the rest of this weekend is a good time to regroup...You can do this. Please don't let the booze take you any further down.....Your AV is having a great time fooling you.........Don't let it win!!!!!

Let us know how day 1 is going tomorrow, we've got your back..

WF
Old 05-05-2018, 04:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

SoDear,

I think it takes a plan to get through Day 1. Doesn't need to be complicated and can be made on the spur of the moment. And I think it is focused on something primary to alcohol. "Today I'm going to focus 100% on x and therefore won't drink."

In my experience, when I let alcohol take the lead in this dance, it wins every time.

This is hard. I believe in you.

O
Old 05-05-2018, 05:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Keep posting
Keep trying- and do new stuff- meetings, journal, walk, counselor....
Prayers and support to you.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

day 1

Thank you everyone for your support. I clearly need it. OK, Day 1 begins again today. My plan for the day is to literally not leave my home. If I leave, I will pick up alcohol. My only focus has to be on not drinking. I've basically been living in squalor for the past week, so I'm going to try a major spring cleaning. I'm hoping that will help with staying sober. When I'm living in a mess, I think it helps promote being a mess myself and drinking. I don't know. I'm just trying.

I know this, though. If I make it again like I did to the feeling I got at four and a half months sober, I will never take that feeling for granted again. Ever. I really hope this works. I'm so sick of feeling this exhausted mentally and physically.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sohard, maybe its time to look into a different recovery program/plan?
Old 05-05-2018, 06:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Four and a half months is a great goal. I didn't really reap the rewards of sobriety until about 8-9 months when one day I realized my fears and anxiety were gone.

That day is worth more to me than any other thing thus far.

You can do it Sohard. Take it easy on yourself while you're cleaning, too. Don't go down the path of self-hatred. If you feel that coming up, take a break from the cleaning and go stare out the window for five minutes. I can't tackle house cleaning all in one go. I have to do it in 15 minute chunks or I get overwhelmed.

Maybe that's just me.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Awesome choice Sohard!!

Congrats on Day 1...you've got this

Sending you strength and positive energy!
Old 05-05-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

" When I'm living in a mess, I think it helps promote being a mess myself and drinking."

They do seem to go hand in hand.