Notices

Day 4 of Sobriety

Old 05-22-2018, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 of Sobriety

I have been an everyday drinker for the past 5 years. I drink anywhere from 6-12 drinks a day. On the weekends I would drink all day long. The only season I was able to stop drinking is when I began using prescription pills and or heroin. I have always been highly functioning holding down a job and supporting my family but 4 days ago I said I was done. I felt that my health was declining physically mentally and spiritually. I was sh%#*ting blood and my urine was very sweet smelling. I became angry irritated and tired all the time even after drinking. So I decided to cold turkey stop. The first two days were easy. I was instantly happier and healthier feeling. A little restless but that was it. Day 3 and 4 hit and I’m having a hard time. I don’t have a desire to drink but I’m wondering if I need help. My vision has been totally blurred for two days. I can’t focus or concentrate. I woke and tried to go to work today but I was really shaky fell over when I tried to walk and am really panicky paranoid feeling. I know these are symptoms of withdraw but I’ve always had low blood sugar issues which is part of why I liked to drink. I feel like my body took a huge low dip and I’m trying to get it back up. Im fearing maybe I have a serious blood sugar problem As the symptoms for that are similar to those of withdrawal. Anyways I have a doctors appointment today and I’m writing to stay busy and keep my mind active. Hoping this does get better
Old 05-22-2018, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. The withdrawal should definitely be looked after medically. I'm glad you have an appt to go to. Post here all the time...hang out, this place is open 24/7. Glad you're here!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Withdrawal should certainly be treated by a doctor. It's best to keep it simple: I just don't drink TODAY. Keep posting and ask for help. Big hug!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Joe. I had most of those symptoms when I quit, too. Blood pressure spiked dangerously, for one thing. Everything eventually settled down - but I'm very glad to know you're seeing a doctor. Let us know how it goes - we care.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! You will find lots of experience and support here. I'm glad you are getting medical attention! You can do this; don't give up!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What did you find out at your Dr appt? Hope all is well for you
Old 05-23-2018, 12:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Joe?

welcome aboard

D
Old 05-23-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Doctors went well. Gave me some medication to take the edge off for the week. Also found out I’m diabetic. Glad to know now and not a drunken year later in the cemetery. Day 5. Feeling good
Old 05-23-2018, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Glad you're feeling better and physically you will feel better as the days add up. Mentally I had to find an AA meeting/group to get help with that part of recovery. Plus I see a VA mental health doc for my PTSD. Keep up the good work and take it one day at a time.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeBlow86 View Post
Doctors went well. Gave me some medication to take the edge off for the week. Also found out I’m diabetic. Glad to know now and not a drunken year later in the cemetery. Day 5. Feeling good
Yup. Me too. I found out I was diabetic when I got checked in. My A1C was incredibly high. I think it was 11.6 with a sugar level of 450 something.

6 months in, I wasn't even pre-diabetic anymore. I think then it was 4.8 or 5.1 or something like that. You're gonna be amazed how good you feel physically when all this poison finally gets flushed out for good.

Big thing is to take care of the brain. Check in often and don't get too hungry angry lonely or tired...those can set triggers off. Glad you're doin better bud!
Old 05-24-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How ya doing Joe. Day 6?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Joe
Old 06-02-2018, 10:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

day 15 today. Today’s been hard. I started feeling physically better and then today hit a mental low. Depressed wanting to numb it but haven’t caved. Friends trying to get me to go to AA but It’s hard to wrap my head around that one.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Joe

its very normal to be emotionally up and down for a little while.

I think we underestimate the battering we give our minds and bodies when drinking.

whats stopping you from checking out AA if I can ask?

D
Old 06-03-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hang in there buddy. Just go, you might find AA to be a big help. You never know till you try.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great job!!! You're on your way!!
Old 06-03-2018, 10:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I might go check it out tomorrow. I’ve been before and just never seen the benefit. Then again I’ve never given it any time. I don’t like the labels of Addict and alcoholic. I feel like my choices made me what I am and I can learn from it and make new choices. I spent 15 months in a faith based program years ago and it changed me a lot but there was no 12 step involved. But it’s also my own thinking that screwed me so I’m open to it.