Notices

My guide to moderation

Old 05-14-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
A big thank you to everyone who commented here.
It means more so much to me to know this post might have given some people on SR any value in their sobriety. This site has been essential to my finally crossing the bridge to a fully sober life and I'm deeply honored to be able to give back in any way.
Lessgravity, I have saved this post in my journal to read and re-read over and over. It truly spoke to me and will continue to do so in times of struggle.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

I printed it yesterday. Thank you again. It’s funny and accurate!
Old 05-14-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
A big thank you to everyone who commented here.

It was really helpful for me personally to go through this writing experiment - I wanted to be brutally honest with myself about what it would mean to keep drinking alcohol. Moderation, full blown drunk, whatever you might call it.

It means more so much to me to know this post might have given some people on SR any value in their sobriety. This site has been essential to my finally crossing the bridge to a fully sober life and I'm deeply honored to be able to give back in any way.
I have saved it in my online Recovery Tool kit.

I have a number of addictions, it is just as relevant to all of them as my alcohol addiction.

Many thanks for the work you put in.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I've just read this post, it is SO good! Number 12 is the one that finally made me accept I had a real problem.
Brilliantly written.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

My all time most favorite thread bumped to celebrate Less's 5 months of sobriety! xx
Old 09-12-2018, 02:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

First time reading this. A very well-written post!
Old 09-13-2018, 03:31 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Glad I caught it this time 'round! Powerful post.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Great post!! I am going the read it every day......because I have a short memory!
Old 09-14-2018, 09:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I missed this the first time you posted it. Brilliant.

When in rehab one of the crucial things I said in a meeting, both to myself and to a number of people listening, was "I'm sick of negotiating with alcohol." All of what you posted is what I meant by negotiation. It all seemed to take so much energy, and when you actually look at it, indicates that there is absolutely nothing positive about drinking.

If you are an alcoholic, the only way to stop negotiating with alcohol is to stop drinking, completely and forever.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:28 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I missed this the first time you posted it. Brilliant.

When in rehab one of the crucial things I said in a meeting, both to myself and to a number of people listening, was "I'm sick of negotiating with alcohol." All of what you posted is what I meant by negotiation. It all seemed to take so much energy, and when you actually look at it, indicates that there is absolutely nothing positive about drinking.

If you are an alcoholic, the only way to stop negotiating with alcohol is to stop drinking, completely and forever.
I like the analogy of negotiating with alcohol.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:40 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I also think that most people are "normal" drinkers because they rarely, if ever, negotiate with alcohol. They have a drink or two at a function or split a nice bottle of wine with an amazing dinner every once in a while and really don't think much about drinking at all. They might even get hammered at a bachelor party...but they have a normal hangover instead of shaky horrible withdrawal and don't do that again for months, years or ever.

It doesn't control them at all, and they don't have to control their drinking at all.

It continues to amaze me how the majority of people are like this instead of like us alkies. When we drank we thought EVERYONE was a huge drinker, that drink was the focus of every gathering to everyone. No, that's not the case at all.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:11 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Personally speaking ....

Personally speaking, in my 'drinking days' I found that I when speaking, should never move my lips at all and then if needs must, only in moderation simply to order another drink or borrow money from someone to buy some more...
Old 09-15-2018, 04:18 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I also think that most people are "normal" drinkers because they rarely, if ever, negotiate with alcohol. They have a drink or two at a function or split a nice bottle of wine with an amazing dinner every once in a while and really don't think much about drinking at all. They might even get hammered at a bachelor party...but they have a normal hangover instead of shaky horrible withdrawal and don't do that again for months, years or ever.

It doesn't control them at all, and they don't have to control their drinking at all.

It continues to amaze me how the majority of people are like this instead of like us alkies. When we drank we thought EVERYONE was a huge drinker, that drink was the focus of every gathering to everyone. No, that's not the case at all.
This
Old 09-15-2018, 06:14 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Awesome post lessgravity! Man, it's been a few years since I was caught in that shitstorm, but that post is pretty much spot on. I've tried a few times to explain the insanity of it all and the vicious cycle, your post does a really good job of providing that explanation. For me, it was the lies to myself that served as the engine for everything else to zip along. I'm still stunned that I could convince myself for so long that I had it all under control. Anyway, really, really great post. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Amazing! God - thank you for that reminder. I’ve been a few years sober now and reading this reminded me of all the stuff I do not ever want to go back to. Those 3 AM wake ups were the worst. Anxiety and all.

Until I started keeping enough booze on hand to level me out through those...

Oh God...what hell it was.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good god that was accurate. Superb insight.

The parts about circulating stores, neighbours and avoiding the mirror really struck a chord.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:43 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

That's some damn good truth embedded in satire.

I am just coming off a serious wave of a relapse that started with the lie of a moderation plan.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Lol at #11. I was so good at telling myself I was going to do this and then staying course to your guide.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

LG,

As i posted in a reply on the other thread that is resurfacing/bumped along the same subject matter, you absolutely accurately describe our struggles!

I want to thank you so very much for posting this, from the very bottom of my very empty and Dusty wine glass !
Old 09-21-2018, 05:49 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hey, that is only your guide for yourself. I think you think about drinking too much.