Notices

Veterans going clean

Old 05-02-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Veterans going clean

In my intro I spoke about how I started drinking during the Vietnam war and I've been drinking ever since. Just about anything you can put in a bottle or can I've had. If you're a Veteran and have become clean and now living a better life, please share your thoughts on how you accomplished this. We all have memories of bad experiences and maybe we can lean on each other through brotherhood.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

I'm not surprised that any vets have not responded here. Many are too proud to admit they are suffering. Hopefully some will open up, be strong, and work hard towards a better life. Alcohol is not your friend.......
Old 05-02-2018, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

BDTL - to be fair most of the veterans I know here have been here a long time & tend to stick to group threads like Over and Under One Year and tend not to post in the Alcoholism or the Newcomers forum much.

I gave them a heads up and I hope they'll eventually see your post and respond

D
Old 05-02-2018, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
BDTL - to be fair most of the veterans I know here have been here a long time & tend to stick to group threads like Over and Under One Year and tend not to post in the Alcoholism or the Newcomers forum much.

I gave them a heads up and I hope they'll eventually see your post and respond

D
Thanks Dee and you are one remarkable person. You are a true blessing to this forum and you spout wisdom for those who need it. Keep up the great work!
Old 05-02-2018, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey BDTL, I'm a Vet (OIF, USMC Infantry) and i'm in the first six months of sobriety in 18 years. It's been hell anxiety wise. I just keep telling myself that I have to fight through using booze as medication. I've lost a brother to alcohol (blood not military though i'm sure they aren't far behind). I don't want to end up that way.

With you being a Vietnam Vet, you've been at this a lot longer than I, thus recovery isn't going to be easy as you know. That said, from what I keep hearing, it's worth it if we can stick to staying sober.

On another note, thank you for your service. You Vietnam guys had it bad over there and coming home. I want you to know how much us younger guys respect you. Keep your head up.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

bdtl, ive been a member of AA for 13 years and have met many,many vets who got sober in AA. you might want to check out a few meetings.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by Tommy0311 View Post
Hey BDTL, I'm a Vet (OIF, USMC Infantry) and i'm in the first six months of sobriety in 18 years. It's been hell anxiety wise. I just keep telling myself that I have to fight through using booze as medication. I've lost a brother to alcohol (blood not military though i'm sure they aren't far behind). I don't want to end up that way.

With you being a Vietnam Vet, you've been at this a lot longer than I, thus recovery isn't going to be easy as you know. That said, from what I keep hearing, it's worth it if we can stick to staying sober.

On another note, thank you for your service. You Vietnam guys had it bad over there and coming home. I want you to know how much us younger guys respect you. Keep your head up.

Appreciate ya brother and we can fight this battle together. There's many battles to fight but in the end we have to win the war. Alcohol is a deadly enemy that has taken down so many of our comrades. Keep up the great work buddy and we will fight the good fight.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
bdtl, ive been a member of AA for 13 years and have met many,many vets who got sober in AA. you might want to check out a few meetings.
Thanks Tom. I have an appointment next Wednesday at the mental health clinic (VA). I'm seeing a doc for PTSD and we will be talking about support groups etc.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

It will be three weeks this Sunday for me and I honestly can't remember the last time I did not drink alcohol for that amount of time. It's crazy the discomfort your body feels when denying it the poison that it craves. One day at a time like your folks recommend. The thing is my decision was not a pre planned deal. It just came to me that it's time to put alcohol behind me. I'm tired of beating my body, mind , & soul up. It's time for a healthier life and maybe , just maybe some of this pain will be resolved.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

I'm hitting the sack guys as I seen to be tire more often than not. I have a golf game tomorrow and I need to get my rest so I can kick some butt.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by BDTL View Post
Thanks Dee and you are one remarkable person. You are a true blessing to this forum and you spout wisdom for those who need it. Keep up the great work!
Thanks BDTL but thanks for your service, man.

Really glad to see you here

D
Old 05-03-2018, 12:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BDTL View Post
The thing is my decision was not a pre planned deal. It just came to me that it's time to put alcohol behind me. I'm tired of beating my body, mind , & soul up. It's time for a healthier life and maybe , just maybe some of this pain will be resolved.
BDTL, I'm not a vet, but i just wanted to say i really related to what you wrote here. Quitting "just came to me" too -- one day, rather suddenly, deep down i just knew it was time to put it behind me. Trust your gut on that one --- your intuition is right. Drinking kept me stuck in pain --quitting gave me the chance to resolve it.

And thank you for your service.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by tursiops999 View Post
BDTL, I'm not a vet, but i just wanted to say i really related to what you wrote here. Quitting "just came to me" too -- one day, rather suddenly, deep down i just knew it was time to put it behind me. Trust your gut on that one --- your intuition is right. Drinking kept me stuck in pain --quitting gave me the chance to resolve it.

And thank you for your service.
Appreciate your thoughts and kind words. Every day is a step forward and with the encouragement of you fine folks, the journey is not alone.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Today was a bit*ch! Trying to play golf when you are having withdrawals and balance plus the twitching while chipping and putting doesn't get it done. I was the only one in my group that didn't win a skin so I was having a pity party in my head. The guy I was riding with stopped by the clubhouse at the turn (first nine holes) and bought himself two beers. He already had a flask he was sipping on prior to stopping at the clubhouse. One of the guys in the other cart bought himself a beer. It was dayummmmm tempting but I'm proud of myself for making it through my day without drinking. I'm tired, stressed, and hopefully will sleep my arse off tonight.. ... Ya'll say bunches of prayers for this tired old vet. So much anxiety today ! This is frigging tough!!

Thanks for listening
Old 05-03-2018, 09:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you stayed true BDTL

D
Old 05-04-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

DBTL, golf is def my biggest trigger. I even went to a brewery the other day to meet friends and the urge to drink there wasn't nearly as strong than when I golf. I don't know what causes that. I guess it's just so ingrained in us that booze and golf go hand in hand, that our brains get confused why we are doing one without the other.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Member

BDTL,
I had the same sudden decision to leave all the alcohol behind. I came in Jan 1997 and retired Feb 1998 with some reserve in the middle during a break for college.
Vietnam stateside, the Combat Arms, the Med lab tech in the AF Reserves, Then the last 12 in Combat Arms again.

Too late now and with badly bruised rib/s (Doc xrayed)

I'll stop by here too now that Dee gave me a heads up.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
BDTL,
I had the same sudden decision to leave all the alcohol behind. I came in Jan 1997 and retired Feb 1998 with some reserve in the middle during a break for college.
Vietnam stateside, the Combat Arms, the Med lab tech in the AF Reserves, Then the last 12 in Combat Arms again.

Too late now and with badly bruised rib/s (Doc xrayed)

I'll stop by here too now that Dee gave me a heads up.
Thanks for dropping by brother and I'm sure leaving alcohol in the dust has made a huge change in your life. Did it help with mental issues like PTSD?
Old 05-05-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Not a vet myself, but I have many family and friends that have served. My grandfather served in France in WWI. During the Korean conflict, my Dad served stateside, while my favorite uncle was in the middle of some the most fierce fighting. I also have a couple of cousins that served in Vietnam. Thank you BDTL for your service and I hope that you can now experience some measure of the peace of mind that recovery can bring.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I’m a veteran of the first Gulf war, but I was an alcoholic before I ever went in the service, and I didn’t have bad experiences due to my job in the military, so not sure I have anything to offer. Funny, when I was in the Guard, most of my drinking buddies were Vietnam vets, and man did they have some stories. Makes me wonder what ever happened to some of them.
Good on ya for getting sober and hope you get more feedback!