Notices

Veterans going clean

Old 05-07-2018, 05:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

I have an appointment this morning to see my mental health counselor at the VA, Going on my fourth week alcohol free and joining a AA group Thursday night. I think the counselor might be happy for me. Moving forward and getting stronger every day. Let's do this!
Old 05-07-2018, 09:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Glad to hear it, BDTL,well done!
Old 05-08-2018, 04:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BDTL View Post
I have an appointment this morning to see my mental health counselor at the VA, Going on my fourth week alcohol free and joining a AA group Thursday night. I think the counselor might be happy for me. Moving forward and getting stronger every day. Let's do this!
I'm not a vet but just wanted to thank you for serving our country! Also, keep up the good work!
Old 05-08-2018, 04:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by Bethany57 View Post
I'm not a vet but just wanted to thank you for serving our country! Also, keep up the good work!
Thank you Bethany!
Old 05-13-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

I am so excited to be taking this journey to the sober side of life. I have been drinking on and off (mostly on) since my early twenties. There were a couple breaks that I can remember for a few months where I put alcohol on the shelf. I never wanted to admit that I was an addict to it. It was my release from the hard times life throws at us. My calming med during stressful times and aiming fluid during my golf matches. Actually drinking during golfing turned out to be a bad thing. I was hurrying home and a Ga State Trooper stopped me for speeding. He smelled the alcohol and ran me through all the tests. I ended up heading to a holding cell and had to call a friend to bail me out . This happened in my early forties. The DUI got downgraded to public drunkenness because the alcohol level was not above the legal level, which at the time was much higher than these days. You would think this would have been a wake up call.

I did anything possible to keep alcohol in my life for the next two decades. No telling what damage I have done to my body however for some reason, I'm still here and in look pretty decent on the outside. One thing that may have saved me is my love for my gym time. I'm addicted to it in a good way. It no doubt has saved my life.

So I finally came to a decision to put alcohol down for good and that would be the best thing I have ever done for myself and those around me. I'm may fail as I'm human however I will put sobriety at the top of my goals and live the rest of my life seeking it. I believe in myself and one day I hope to be the best example for others who are seeking a better life.

Tuesday will be 30 days and it's been a roller coaster. I feel so much better already however there are days like today when my nerves feel shot. My anxiety goes through the roof and I have all sorts of physical pains. All those years of pounding down beer after beer, shots of whiskey, occasional wine or a combo of all three has taken it's toll on my nervous system. I'm so looking forward to the day when my body can truly relax from the abuse I have put on it for all these years.

I'll be 68 this year and I wish I could have come to this decision many years ago. All you younger folks need to face reality and realize alcohol is not your friend. For those of us who are alcoholics it's poison and no good will come out of it. Be strong and stay stober. That's my prayer for you.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yay for you! I'm of the same era as you, and sober now 3 years. For me, anxiety has lessened. Sleep is a bit better. Shame has disappeared. Congrats on your exercise habit!
Old 05-14-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by JK130 View Post
Yay for you! I'm of the same era as you, and sober now 3 years. For me, anxiety has lessened. Sleep is a bit better. Shame has disappeared. Congrats on your exercise habit!
Thanks JK. Yea the anxiety part of the package is a tough ambre. We got this partner and no looking back!
Old 05-17-2018, 06:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

I received my red chip today at my AA meeting. Now working towards that 90 day chip so ya'll pray for me!
Old 05-17-2018, 09:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 05-26-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

I hope all my veteran brothers are staying strong this weekend. There are so many brothers & sisters who are not with us so let's celebrate their sacrifice and honor them by our sobriety!
Old 05-27-2018, 12:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

great idea BDTL

D
Old 05-27-2018, 03:39 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work BDTL!!!!
Old 05-29-2018, 03:43 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I’m sorry for all of you who lost people to war. Hope it was a good sober weekend, BDTL.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
I’m sorry for all of you who lost people to war. Hope it was a good sober weekend, BDTL.
Yes it was a good and sober weekend! 44 days sober now and approaching my 6 week mark in 5 days. I went to my Tuesday night AA meeting tonight and I always leave refreshed and ready for the next day.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:28 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

That’s great, BDTL!
Old 05-30-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Not a vet, but respect to all of you that are.

Golf was also a big trigger for me, now I wonder how I did it half in the bag. And the answer is, not very well....

The bottom line to quitting for me was accepting that every time was back to the same rodeo. Once I accepted that emtionally, I was done.

Cause I knew one from the beer cart would mean starting all. over. again.

Great to have you here.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
Not a vet, but respect to all of you that are.

Golf was also a big trigger for me, now I wonder how I did it half in the bag. And the answer is, not very well....

The bottom line to quitting for me was accepting that every time was back to the same rodeo. Once I accepted that emtionally, I was done.

Cause I knew one from the beer cart would mean starting all. over. again.
Thanks buddy! Yea I still have golfing buddies who drink however they now know that I am not going there. So in that respect I'm free to be me and they can be themselves. When quitting for good entered my mind on April 15, I knew I was putting it down for good. No more for me as my body & mind finally understood that I can't have alcohol in my system. It's really astounding how clear and confident my decision was to quit. It was almost scary cool!
Great to have you here.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Great job BDTL! Way to keep it up!
Old 05-30-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by StellaBlu View Post
Great job BDTL! Way to keep it up!
Thanks StellaBlu! 45 days now and heading towards my next goal of six weeks soon.

I have to come up with a list of reasons why I'm choosing my sponsor tomorrow night. Not sure why he would need a list. I like the way he handles himself at meetings and he is obviously a smart and dedicated young man. He's got 3 1/2 years sobriety and is a leader type so let's begin this journey.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:49 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Today I hit my 7 week milestone! 11 more days to my next one which will be 2 months. I feel so good it's scary! I LOVE being sober and can't wait until the day I'm smart enough (12 steps graduate) where I can be a sponsor. My main goal in life is to help other alcoholics gain sobriety.