Notices

My first AA Meeting

Old 04-26-2018, 03:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first AA Meeting

I went to my first AA meeting today. I almost ran out when I got there, but I stayed through it. I think it was a good thing for me. I'm so tired of feeling awful/sick/unable to think/nauseous/ can barely function every single morning. Of barely being able to sleep and waking up every night around 2 or 3 am tossing and turning unable to sleep until I have to wake up for work at 5 am. Of not being able to remember the night before. Of feeling ashamed and defeated as soon as my eyes open for the day on the occasions where I could sleep. Of life passing me by. My work was begining to be effected by it also (which is 1 area I never let it trick down onto) and that plus how sick I've been feeling every day, finally made me say enough.

The meeting was a blur, I was very nervous. A lot of people gave me their number and hugged me. The people in that room were so kind and seemed to genuinely care. I was extremely emotional for the remainder of the day yesterday. Randomly tearing up and crying on and off and not understanding why. I still very very emotional as I type this.

I slept good last night for the first time in a while, probably because there was no alcohol in my system for the first time I can remember in awhile.

I drank 2 mini bottles of vodka before the meeting yesterday and that was around 10am, but after the meeting I drank NOTHING for the rest of the day/night. So in a few hours, it will be 24 hours. I just hope I can keep this up and stop for good. I am tired. Mentally, phsyically, emotionally.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good on ya!
i strongly encourage a few things to do:
-hit as many meetings as you can at this time.
-use them numbers! its not easy, but just call even to say hi and thank you for giving me your number.
-pick up a copy of the big book and give the first 164 pages a read or 4. also the stories in the back- theres probably one or 2 you will be able to relate to.
-dont drink even if your ass falls off!
-if it starts falling off, use them numbers.

p.s.
reads quite a bit like what i experienced from the early meetings i attended- it was a blur, but something kept me going back.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

p.s.
looks like ya registered in 2014?
ya may want to start posting more plus check out the 12 step forum- theres step study subs at the top you can start threads in to ask questions. or even just in the 12 step forum even
Old 04-26-2018, 03:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. Is the big book something I get from an AA meeting, or do I buy it at a bookstore?
Old 04-26-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FIONICH85 View Post
Thank you. Is the big book something I get from an AA meeting, or do I buy it at a bookstore?
you can get one at a meeting(usually) but also can be read online.
https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous

some pretty good stories in the back,too.
i still get amazed that a book published 28 years before i was born described me pretty darn good.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FIONICH85 View Post

The meeting was a blur, I was very nervous. A lot of people gave me their number and hugged me. The people in that room were so kind and seemed to genuinely care. I was extremely emotional for the remainder of the day yesterday. Randomly tearing up and crying on and off and not understanding why. I still very very emotional as I type this.

I'm glad you went!! Reminds me of my first meeting years ago.. I'm glad you had a good experience and continue to go back!!!

Nice job, keep up the good work!! Its great for me to be in a room with others that can relate to my situation! I hope you call those folks and keep going back!!

Wishing you the best!!
Old 04-26-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep coming back!
Old 04-26-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great work! I think attending daily will be a great thing to finally put the madness behind you.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My first meeting was quite a blur also.

I just kept coming back, worked the AA program with a sponsor, and never touched a drink of alcohol.

It's worked for a pretty good while now.

Please follow the advice on this thread, don't drink and keep us posted.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Keep coming back!
It works if you work it.

The strongest thing you can do right now is to ask for help.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep going to meetings and keep coming here everyday.

That's what I did and it worked for me.