Notices

Traded Addictions!

Old 04-19-2018, 01:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Traded Addictions!

I am 115 days sober and I have noticed that I have traded my alcohol addiction for a sugar addiction. Seems like there is never an end to what bad things I am doing to my body.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That's somewhat common I think - but it's also possible to make change in your consumption of sugar just like you did with alcohol. And at least with sugar the withdrawals are not quite so bad!
Old 04-19-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am 115 days sober and I have noticed that I have traded my alcohol addiction for a sugar addiction. Seems like there is never an end to what bad things I am doing to my body.
Very common. Last week I was threatened by a crazy person after a meeting which was very upsetting. So I went to the store and bought a chocolate cake and ate the whole thing. Oh, and I have 26 years.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

At least sugar doesn't make you do regrettable things. (to other people in particular.)
Old 04-19-2018, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Very common. Last week I was threatened by a crazy person after a meeting which was very upsetting. So I went to the store and bought a chocolate cake and ate the whole thing. Oh, and I have 26 years.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

aftr i quit drinking i went low carb lost weight now i eat a high carb vegan diet and am happy as a clam and lean ::shrug:: whatever works i guess. Not all carbs are bad.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Mt. Dew is still my sugar vice. It's a work in progress.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been binge eating a lot lately haha. Annoying, because my diet was a lot more under control before. Think it's just all the stress in my life in general, and knowing I can't drink again so have to binge on something else to feel better.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

LadyBug,
good chance this might be a temporary 'coping mechanism' and you can drop it later if and when you find/develop other, healthier ways.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm nearly 8 months sober and have only recently started to drop my sugar intake. I did try earlier in sobriety but I found it put me under too much pressure. As wise folks on here told me, put the sobriety first and the rest will follow in time. I personally had to quit 1 bad habit at a time.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Agree with all above: it will eventually sort itself out.

It took me thirteen months of poor eating before I recently began to address it. I fully support the concept of sugar as highly addictive. My physical craving for it disappeared after three days without.

And "eating a cake at somebody" after 26 years sober reassures me that we're not the only ones! Thank you, Doglvr, that was hysterical...
Old 04-20-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Alcohol is loaded with sugar and the brain thinks it's getting a drink. In early sobriety I was advised to get a milk shake if I had a craving for sugar.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rar

On the 24 Hour Forum today, Venus posted assistance to someone advising to drink milk for a craving. She said one of her sponsors told her that. Might help with the sugar cravings.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm 7 months in and still eat too much sugar! I've actually put weight on which really bothered me as I spent a long time losing over 3 stone in weight. I try not to worry about it too much, I figure I'll get on to dealing with it soon! I try to watch other things that I eat so that I don't overdo everything!
Hot chocolate can be good, I drink a cup of the lower calorie version every night.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I will throw my two penneth on the table here.

1. Dopamine receptors. Sugar excites the dopamine receptors more than cocaine. Your receptors are looking for a hit right now and if its sugar then hell yeah...better than alcohol. I have started to deal with this by removing all the foods that make my receptors do the can-can. (for me thats wheat, sugar, brazil nuts (and chocolate brazils are a total receptor festival). The Hunger Fix by Pamela Peeke explains it well and how to tackle it.

2. Alcohol is sugar and screws up correct insulin function. It takes time for that to settle back to normal. If you can start to address the dopamine receptors dancing and get the sugar under control your insulin production etc will be more likely to improve quicker. However...dont do anything to sacrifice sobriety! If that means stuffing your face with a black forest gateaux...thats ok.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great job on 115-116 days!!! Awesome!!
Old 04-21-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! I have started a plan. I can have 1 sweet a day and when I crave something sweet I'm going to eat some nuts. I love the hot chocolate idea!
Old 04-21-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey ladybug
I'm 116 days sober and I swear I can't get enough chocolate in to my mouth at the one time ...I panic when I've run out
Literally!!!!!
Although I've lost a bit of weight especially my on my face I still have a jelly belly
I hope it passed soon
Love hot chocolate also ,😍😂😜
Old 04-22-2018, 10:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yeah I've sold my soul to food unfortunately.

I'm just now coming out of a bargaining cycle in which I am "good" for a period of time and then let myself eat whatever I want, and start putting on weight, and purging also. The bulimic behaviors are new.

I don't know how to balance this and I'm pretty close to a full fledged eating disorder. The only time I am sane is if I make myself eat four meals a day of non triggering foods. I still have crazy thoughts of food and moderating sweets all the time, but at least my weight stabilizes and I dont engage in disordered eating with regular timed meals.

The alcohol problem seems to be gone but the eating problem is getting worse and worse not better.

My point is try to care for yourself and know that throwing all caution to the winds in ANY area can lead to problems especially for someone with an alcoholic brain.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

LadyBug66 118 days sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya.

Sugar, whether in its natural form or as high fructose corn syrup, affects the brain by boosting levels of dopamine. Dopamine is the same chemical that’s released when an alcoholic drinks. Dopamine is sometimes called the reward chemical because it creates feelings of pleasure – the very feelings the brain wants to replicate. Sugar also increases levels of another hormone called serotonin, which plays a role in mood as well.