Notices

Has anyone outgrown their alcoholism?

Old 04-19-2018, 01:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

A lot of semantics being played here - "recovered" to me means that you are healed, better, etc; in my experience and opinion, an alcoholic who no longer drinks cannot be considered "recovered." Once they pick up the drink again, it's likely to be as bad or worse as when they previously quit. Only by not drinking can healing be said to be in progress....recovery is not an event. It's a journey.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It rather depends what you mean by outgrow?
If you mean stop being alcoholic and return to "normal" drinking then i'd say thats your AV asking the question...

The only thing i've outgrown is the idea that ALL of my problems were due to alcohol. I stopped drinking and was actually shocked that I still had a whole range of problems and issues. I'd just outgrown the idea that alcohol was the problem and the solution.

I don't believe anyone is ever fully recovered or cured, we are all one drink away.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

After 26 years of active recovery I still think that if they announced a cure for alcoholism I'd celebrate with two bottles of champagne. I still think like an addict: if one is good, 27 is better. The answer is no.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

I've thought I've outgrown, learn to control, overcame, learned my lesson and so on and so forth more times than I can count only to find myself calling into work sick several days to detox on my couch.

Some people can't use alcohol socially. I'm one of them.

Be careful with the "outgrown" thought process or you may find yourself back to where you started.

I wish you luck.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I didn't so much outgrow alcoholism as much as grow into recovery. And I continue to grow into it. The things I do have become normal and routine parts of my day. Occasionally I think maybe I don't need those things any more, but a few days out of my routine quickly serves as a nasty little reminder that the comfort I feel in sobriety is proportate to the work I put into it. If I stop the work the quality of my sobriety suffers.

BB
Old 04-19-2018, 11:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
Not a prayer of me outgrowing my alcoholism.

I haven't had any in a good while now, but I work on staying sober every day.

I don't get to take a day off.

I have worked the AA program now for almost half of my life.

It has worked for me, so I sure don't plan to quit something which has completely changed my life for the better.
Beautiful, SoberCAH! I thank my HP hundreds of times a day, I dont take a day off and will never ever forget how I got here ! Truly a miracle I made it to the other side!
Old 04-19-2018, 11:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm so glad that someone has asked this question!

I've spent a lot of time reading through people's posts on the 'newcomer's' and 'alcoholism' threads and describing their experiences. And I can relate to a lot of what people are saying- however, I wouldn't consider myself an alcoholic...today.

To explain: I have a long history with alcohol (AM, addict sister). I remember drinking a lot of hard liquor one night when I was 14...and getting sick. When I was in college, members of my family suggested that I had a drinking problem - and I think I did! A lot of what I've read seems to suggest that I had a problem with alcohol...back then.

But alcohol does not seem to have that power over me now. For sure I will make a concerted effort not drink if I'm upset (angry, depressed). But I will definitely have a cocktail or two on occasion (when out to dinner) or whatever. I generally don't drink more that a few drinks per month- if at all. And never more than one or two drinks at a time.

I when I was younger I think I got scared that I would be homeless or not be able to function or have a career if I kept up the drinking. So, I definitely think fear had something to do with my alcohol use change.

I recently asked my husband if he thought I was an alcoholic (he drinks less than I do) and he told me 'No, absolutely not'.

Also, I just don't think I could physically handle drinking a lot. I remember not liking hangovers very much.

Does this make me an alcoholic or a recovering/recovered one?
I don't know the answer. Feel free to let me know.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

No.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I think there are people who drink to excess at some point in their lives that are somehow able to moderate their drinking later in life. I think the AA BB would consider these folks to be "hard drinkers" not a "real alcoholic". I also think that many alcoholics try to fool themselves into thinking they are not alcoholics. So for me this reminds me of the famous scene from Dirty Harry:

"Did he fire six shots or only five'? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I kind of lost track myself. But being that this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?"
Old 04-20-2018, 12:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hard drinkers can outgrow their drinking.
Alcoholics cannot outgrow their alcoholism.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree View Post
Hard drinkers can outgrow their drinking.
Alcoholics cannot outgrow their alcoholism.
Mmm. I see.

Thank you for helping me understand this better. I have to say I was confused by this term.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
I think there are people who drink to excess at some point in their lives that are somehow able to moderate their drinking later in life. I think the AA BB would consider these folks to be "hard drinkers" not a "real alcoholic". I also think that many alcoholics try to fool themselves into thinking they are not alcoholics. So for me this reminds me of the famous scene from Dirty Harry:

"Did he fire six shots or only five'? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I kind of lost track myself. But being that this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?"
Well put. And I really like the quote.

Thank you. I think I'm beginning to understand.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post

So just to be clear, you think I might be at risk for becoming an alcoholic every time I pick up a drink?
Old 04-20-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I dunno. I do know that I had to grow the heck up to be at peace in recovery . I know when I'm drinking I have the emotional maturity of an 8 yr old.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StellaBlu View Post
So just to be clear, you think I might be at risk for becoming an alcoholic every time I pick up a drink?
If you can have 1-2 drinks every now and again, can go over 30 days without drinking with ease, and don't have intense cravings, it's pretty safe to say you are not an alcoholic.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:21 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
2/2016

I did not outgrow alcohol. I love drinking. Love getting drunk. Always have enjoyed it. I just do not stop once I start. Oh maybe 2 one night, next night 4, next night 4 again, 6 on the weekends, 7 on Sunday watching football.

Every night enjoying alcohol as a reward because I have made it, I deserve it, and it is the American way. I am not typically happy at 2 at the bar, oh no, might as well pick up a 6 pack on the way home. One bottle of wine with dinner? Let’s open 2. Mimosas at bruch, you bet. On and on. It does not matter what label you give me. Alcohol was causing me problems. I kept trying to moderate. I was guilty, ashamed, and sick and tired of being sick and tired drinking every night.

I did not outgrow it. I had to fight to break the habit I had. Like smoking. As long as I do not have one, I do not “have” to have another and another.
No one can tell you if you are an alcoholic. Is it causing you problems in relationships? Are you worried about it? Are you on a recovery forum reading about it?

Let it go. Drop the monkey on your back. Do not make drinking your only hobby.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:44 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HTown View Post
I did not outgrow alcohol. I love drinking. Love getting drunk. Always have enjoyed it. I just do not stop once I start. Oh maybe 2 one night, next night 4, next night 4 again, 6 on the weekends, 7 on Sunday watching football.

Every night enjoying alcohol as a reward because I have made it, I deserve it, and it is the American way. I am not typically happy at 2 at the bar, oh no, might as well pick up a 6 pack on the way home. One bottle of wine with dinner? Let’s open 2. Mimosas at bruch, you bet. On and on. It does not matter what label you give me. Alcohol was causing me problems. I kept trying to moderate. I was guilty, ashamed, and sick and tired of being sick and tired drinking every night.

I did not outgrow it. I had to fight to break the habit I had. Like smoking. As long as I do not have one, I do not “have” to have another and another.
No one can tell you if you are an alcoholic. Is it causing you problems in relationships? Are you worried about it? Are you on a recovery forum reading about it?

Let it go. Drop the monkey on your back. Do not make drinking your only hobby.
HTown, I'm thinking about you said. Thank you for sharing your perspective. I appreciate it.
-sb
By the way, your avatar is very cool.