Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I need to come back but don't know how to start to stop

Notices

Old 04-17-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

I've had long periods of sobriety and realise now that i need to do things differently but can't seem to get the incentive to start stopping..... I need to get day 1 and day 2 under me belt but fail every time..... I promise myself l have a couple then the usual nonsense follows and I wake up feeling shite..... I need to not drink for one night again . ... it easy before
Old 04-17-2018, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

When I viewed stopping as a process the process continued.

When I realized it was a specific point , I just stopped.

I’d say your AV holds the process point of view , and doles out the promises of a few . IT doesn’t want you to get the point.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It’s so baffling how impossible it can seem to get day 1 after relapsing. And then once we get those early days again (if we do), we forget how impossible they were to get.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
I've had long periods of sobriety and realise now that i need to do things differently but can't seem to get the incentive to start stopping..... I need to get day 1 and day 2 under me belt but fail every time..... I promise myself l have a couple then the usual nonsense follows and I wake up feeling shite..... I need to not drink for one night again . ... it easy before
I could never just have a couple. It’s either drink until I black out or not at all. I’m 2 days sober and it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done. I know it will be worth it in the end. If we don’t quit now then it will never happen. All we have is right now. Good luck
Old 04-17-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey hendrix - don't listen to the lies - you've stopped before, you can stop again. make it day one.

if you have to put yourself under house arrest do that.

if you're worried about withdrawals and you need to see your dr do that....but make a commitment to day one.

making a commitment to 24 hours sober should not beyond any of us ...but if it really genuinely is beyond you, then maybe you're going to have to think about some kind of impatient rehab?

D
Old 04-17-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreedomCA View Post
It’s so baffling how impossible it can seem to get day 1 after relapsing. And then once we get those early days again (if we do), we forget how impossible they were to get.
This is spot on for sure. It does get harder each time. This past time was very hard, and frankly it's the biggest thing keeping me from drinking tonight.

Hendrix, I bet one you set out to make day one happen the drive and realization you can do it will hit and over ride the difficulty. You just have to start, give a go and see what happens.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In order to get and stay sober, you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Hendrix - I'm so glad you came back. I had a couple false starts & learned something each time. It sounds like you're ready to do this. We know you can.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hendrix,
the nonsense starts long before. beore you even promise yourself to have a couple....which is of course also nonsense for you and me.
it is hard when you don't have the incentive; what gave you incentive in the past? and is that incentive still valid even if you don't " feel" it?