SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Inner Peace? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/426460-inner-peace.html)

steve-in-kville 04-17-2018 05:22 AM

Inner Peace?

As many here know, I keep a daily journal. Some days I may write a line or two about the weather, many days I fill many pages. Lately my thoughts have been along the lines of inner peace.

I have come to the conclusion that inner peace is very much like sobriety: its a journey, not a destination! Every day I stay sober I am able to accept the past and see how it is making me a better/stronger person.

Perhaps others could chime in as well.

ScottFromWI 04-17-2018 06:37 AM

I would agree - everything in life is a journey. I read a book about mindfulness and meditation and even some of the most experienced in the field will still tell you that meditation is difficult even after decades of practice.

zjw 04-17-2018 06:56 AM

you couldnt be more right steve. I actually just read something the other day along the lines of how inner peace if you will is a journey not a detination. we dont necesarily arrive at some state of inner peace and just simply stay there. We have to actively remain thre if you will IE keep at it each day choose to go back to that peaceful place.

Thanks for the reminder I needed this thread today.

Pathwaytofree 04-17-2018 08:58 AM

Great post!

I'm finding that inner peace is definitely a journey and something I need to practice. It's not a straight line journey, either.

Dropsie 04-17-2018 09:53 AM

For me, peace is our gift for doing the next right thing.

zjw 04-17-2018 11:18 AM

"you already are the peace you are looking for be still and know that"-- mooji

"your heard is the light of this world dont cover it with your mind" --mooji

"find that place which is effortlessly at rest within itself Be there be one with that." -- mooji

some quotes to ponder

Ringo123 04-18-2018 02:24 PM

One aspect of inner peace for me is that no matter what happens, I know I will be okay.

FreedomCA 04-18-2018 05:36 PM

Inner peace starts for me by not taking that first drink.

AM100 04-18-2018 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dropsie (Post 6863881)
For me, peace is our gift for doing the next right thing.

What a cool qoute, and an eye opener as well.

NYCDoglvr 04-19-2018 03:29 PM

Peace of mind is the huge gift of sobriety and most days I feel calm and centered. It was a gradual process that took a decade to achieve. What I've learned is acceptance is the real answer: to let go of the things I cannot change, to change the things I can.

waynetheking 04-21-2018 04:21 AM

I think when you quit fighting yourself then you quit fighting everyone else. Life becomes so much better. Great thread. Thanks.

SoberCAH 04-24-2018 09:27 AM

This is a great thread, Steve, thanks for starting it.

The only thing which can crowd out my inner peace, that many years of pursuing a relationship with God and working the AA program have given me, is letting myself become a human doing and not a human being.

Deep down, i know that everything is okay and that God hasn't left me on the side of the road for dead yet.

But my wife and i ply our respective trades quite hard and we miss having a lot of time spent with each other.

I plan on pursuing mindful meditation.