Notices

The darn drinking dreams!

Old 04-14-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

The darn drinking dreams!

Just had a bad one! I can’t beleive how real they feel. This one I also did drugs, which I’ve never done before. I was also at a bar with people and that I don’t do either when I’m drinking haha.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know how much sober time you have, but I haven't had a drinking dream since about six months sober. I rarely even remember dreams these days unless I over sleep.

I reckon it's just another reason not to go back to it, huh?
Old 04-14-2018, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I still have them on occasion at 5 plus years sober, so yeah - they hang around for while. They are just dreams though, try not to read anything more into it than that.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I still have them on occasion at 5 plus years sober, so yeah - they hang around for while. They are just dreams though, try not to read anything more into it than that.
I’m not . To me they just seem so real and actually worse than real life.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
p***enger

I still dream about drinking and drugs from time to time -- it's natural since I spent so much of my life focused on them. Like dreaming of a place where you lived a long time.

They serve to remind me that my inner self is still influenced by its experience with substances, even though I'm sober now. It gives me a little dose of acceptance on awakening.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I frequently have drinking dreams (at 51 days), to the point now I wake up and am mostly able to brush them off. They still are very intense and hit on some deep dark rooted emotions.

One I continuously have is I’m back in grad school where I drink all semester and blow off schoolwork. It’s exam time and I panic cause I know nothing. Then I wake up. Probably stems from unresolved guilt for drinking my way through grad school in real life (although I did the work).

I’d love to have them analyzed.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had one last week, and I have been sober for a pretty good while.

They just come, I get scared and then I wake up and am grateful that I didn't drink.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have dreams about relapsing; not the drinking itself but the feelings of disappontment, guilt, etc. afterwards. Very, very real - not pleasant but it's certainly a relief to wake up!
Old 04-20-2018, 08:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Heh, I get dreams that I've been drinking and wake up seriously pissed off with a "no way you just let all that hard work go down the drain". Then I start to wake up, realize I'm not hung over then clarity finally sets in and I realize it was only a dream.

They are definitely annoying. It's kinda silly that a dream could make you that angry. Hence the "heh" at the beginning of the post.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I still have them. I have flipped the script in my head, and feel thankful instead of scared/angry when I wake up from them, in that I remember it was only a dream. Not my life, just a dream.

THAT, for me, is a great reframe.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I'm nearly 9 years sober and I still get them on occasion. In fact, just had a very vivid one last night where I kept trying to hide my beer, yet it kept popping back into my hand! These dreams are a reminder of what could happen if I stray too far from working on my recovery.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I quit smoking I had dreams about starting again. I'd have them frequently for many years.'

It's been 3 months since I quit alcohol. I think I've had one or two but I anticipate a lot more in the future. I hope I'm wrong- but I do know they are just dreams. There's always a lot of relief upon waking up.

In some ways, they can be a very "sobering" reminder