Notices

And about time too!

Old 04-13-2018, 12:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And about time too!

It has just become national news that one drink a day could reduce your life span.

No more hiding behind that myth of one glass of wine is good for you.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't suppose that's going to be the new general rule though.

Anyway, I don't need to worry about one drink a day - whether that's good or bad for the health. I was never likely to have one drink, and am less likely now.

Maybe one drink a day IS healthy for some? Not for alcoholics though! For them it's that first one that does the damage, because without it the 2nd 3rd 4th 5th etc ones wouldn't happen either. But I think that's a seperate issue. For some poeple alcohol isn't problematic. I just don't happen to be one of those people.

BB

BB
Old 04-13-2018, 12:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by Snowydelrico View Post
No more hiding behind that myth of one glass of wine is good for you.
well, statistically, people who drink a little *are* healthier than teetotalers, but *not* because they drink - correlation does not (necessarily) mean causation!

the statistic arises because teetotalers are typically *less* healthy for all sorts of reasons. maybe they're ill & on medication they can't drink on, maybe they're recovering alcoholics & are in poor health as a result of their drinking career, etc.

from Ben Goldacre's excellent book "Bad Science" (in the context of poor journalistic reporting of science/medicine):
Every time you read in a newspaper that ‘moderate alcohol intake’ is associated with some improved health outcome—less heart disease, less obesity, anything—to gales of delight from the alcohol industry, and of course from your friends, who say, ‘Ooh well, you see, it’s better for me to drink a little…’ as they drink a lot—you are almost certainly witnessing a journalist of limited intellect, overinterpreting a study with huge confounding variables.

This is because, let’s be honest here: teetotallers are abnormal. They’re not like everyone else. They will almost certainly have a reason for not drinking, and it might be moral, or cultural, or perhaps even medical, but there’s a serious risk that whatever is causing them to be teetotal might also have other effects on their health, confusing the relationship between their drinking habits and their health outcomes. Like what? Well, perhaps people from specific ethnic groups who are teetotal are also more likely to be obese, so they are less healthy. Perhaps people who deny themselves the indulgence of alcohol are more likely to indulge in chocolate and chips. Perhaps preexisting ill health will force you to give up alcohol, and that’s skewing the figures, making teetotallers look unhealthier than moderate drinkers. Perhaps these teetotallers are recovering alcoholics: among the people I know, they’re the ones who are most likely to be absolute teetotallers, and they’re also more likely to be fat, from all those years of heavy alcohol abuse. Perhaps some of the people who say they are teetotal are just lying.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The science is behind the fact that alcohol in any quantity is bad for you.
The industry has always covered the fact up.
Much like the tobacco industry.

Watch dr gregger on YouTube he shows you the evodence in quick fire videos.

Just nice to see a bit of truth come out on the subject
Old 04-13-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I believe it's possible to find a study/article/professional opinion that will tell you that literally anything is either good or bad. Usually you can find both actually.

My rule of thumb is that alcohol is bad for ME in any quantity, so I don't drink it. What other people think about that subject is not relevant.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful

I just googled "scientific paper showing any alcohol decreases life expectancy" and there was one result that said "Drinking Alcohol Tied to Long Life in New Study" (dated Feb 20, 2018) and right under it the next result said "Moderate Drinking Doesn't Extend Life After All" (dated Mar 22, 2016). So take your pick depending on what you want to hear. I've found that on YouTube (and social media / news media) I can find an "expert" that will tell me exactly what I want to hear if I search for it.

The thing is none of this applies to me because I could never drink moderately. Both of my parents drank moderately and both lived to be 86. Both of their fathers drank alcoholically and died in their 60's as a direct result of drinking. I drank like my grandfathers and was heading to an early grave if I didn't get sober.

Edit to add: Both of my grandmothers didn't drink at all and both lived into their early 80's, which was beyond the average life expectancy for their generation.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Snowydelrico ,.... I see you're in the UK . When I googled * UK study ,...one drink a day could shorten your life *
There were 4 or 5 results from today's news .

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/13/healt...ncy/index.html
Old 04-13-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a class 1a carcinogen. Period. And the acetylalahyde (I did not spell that right) we produce when we process alcohol is also a class 1a carcinogen.

Maybe the drs that claim red wine is good for us should say we could also substitute some asbestos or formaldehyde if we are out of wine.

Amazes me that Starbucks has to label their coffee cups now because coffee is processed with carcinogenic chemicals. I never saw a label on my vodka!
Old 04-13-2018, 11:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My sentiments exactly frickaflip.
There’s no safe amount. ( especially for me)
The government guidelines are bollox.
Anyway it’s not something that I am going to become an activist over.
I just have an inclining that it is going to go the same way as tabocco a few years down the line. Maybe not as far as not being able to drink in pubs lol.

Thanks everyone, it’s just a little topic I keep bumping in to.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Haha. Yeah no activism here. But I am always amazed at the hypocrisy in our culture. I shouldn't be, but sitting here stone cold sober all the time, its hard not to be. But, at least for me, it started when I was very young. Just say NO and all the crap. As my father and mother are downing alcohol and smoking cigs. I remember my dad caught my bestie and I smoking weed at about 1am. Long story, but he comes in the room, totally wasted, and starts very melodramatically saying 'is that wacky weed I smell (as he is sniffing in this extremely comical, over done way)? I wasn't born yesterday'....oh my Gawd, when he left the room we couldn't stop laughing. Next day? Nothing. He completely forgot about the whole incident. Story of my life growing up.

I was going to say that I feel the writing is on the wall for big alcohol. Not that it will change anyone's drinking habits, but I believe labeling will happen in the near future. I know the attorneys that headed up all the suits against tobacco are now pursuing the food industry (the lack of labeling for sugar % of daily allowance and GMO labeling here in the US) so my guess is alcohol is around the corner.

At minimum people have the right to know that it is a powerful carcinogen.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Haha, an ironically funny tale that frickaflip.
Nice to know its not just me who thinks like this about telling it like it is then at least we know the facts from the get go.
Don’t know if it will change anything .
Just goes to show, where there’s money there’s twisting.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Heh, if I could have just one drink I wouldn't be here.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by otter View Post
Heh, if I could have just one drink I wouldn't be here.
Exactly