Notices

The only way to quit drinking is to kill myself

Old 04-07-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The only way to quit drinking is to kill myself

I feel that the only way I can quit drinking is to kill myself. I have been to treatment a few times and I always come back to drinking. I hate drinking and what it does to me, but I feel like I have no other options at this point.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go to ER straight away. You owe yourself to ask for and get help
Old 04-07-2018, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I felt that way too, misterfalcon. I needed a crisis placement because of my attempt to suicide. That 10 days kept me safe, until I could get a foothold and figure out what I was going to do to quit for good.

I urge you to let someone know if you feel you are going to harm yourself.

Please know that there are options and that you can do this, even if you may not believe that right now. Many have done it, and you can too.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

mister,

Please don't give alcohol the power to take your life....you are worth so much more! Call a hotline, reach out to a friend or family member, stay on this site until help arrives.

We are here listening....you can do this.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

misterfalcon,

I've felt that way too. Do you have someone to talk with about this?

O
Old 04-07-2018, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

it's not true, mister.
you feel like that is the only way, but in fact there are others.
glad to see you here, reaching out.
many have been exactly where you are and have found a workable option that includes living.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No. It's not the only way. You want to quit, and I believe you will quit. Now you must believe it. We're here for you every step of the way. The sooner you put down the drink, the sooner your hell will end. But you've got to stop now. Now. No longer pouring a depressant down your throat will - with time - drastically and positively affect your outlook. Don't believe what your mind is telling you right now. It's all messed up. Believe us on SR. You CAN do this and you will one day help others through this. Make this a purpose.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Please don't think that way. My brother thought the same and took his life this week. I beg you to talk to someone. You can beat this.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi misterfalcon

I've felt that despair too but it's predicated on a lie. Change really is possible, and there is life - a great life - after drinking.

I had to change everything but I'm glad I did.

I use to be an all day everyday drinker for many years.. now I have over a decade of recovery.

Don;t lose heart and never give up. Think about what you've beenm doing to stay sober as opposed to staying drinking, There's probably an inbalance of effort there - there was for me.

If you feel really low, please go to the ER or ring one of the crisis numbers in this link:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ease-read.html

There's tons of support here - let us help?

D
Old 04-07-2018, 08:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Look at all of us who care for you here, Misterfalcon.

We care because we understand your situation, and know how tough it is to feel the need to drink to live. I needed help to get through those first few days--if you are still feeling desperate, please call a crisis line.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Please don’t harm yourself. This too shall pass. You can get through this. It will be difficult, but I’ve learned something about this life, anything worth while doesn’t come easily. Life is worth it. Never give up.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll come back and let us know how you're gettign on misterfalcon

D
Old 04-08-2018, 01:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We are thinking of you -- let us know how you are.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

misterfalcon, when I was actively drinking, I wanted to die many times. In fact, I now believe that my drinking was a slow form of suicide. Please don't give up hope. All it takes is one moment to turn your life around. I had to finally admit that alcohol had totally kicked my ass. When I did that, I had a "moment of clarity" and I finally made the decision to stop. That was nearly 9 years ago. If I can do it, so can you. Please check in a let us know how you're doing! We're all here for you. You CAN do this!!!
Old 04-08-2018, 07:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

maybe direct some of that anger and frustration and such at the booze itself rather then yourself?

I'd be inclined to even think getting a full bottle of vodka and smashing it and yelling obsenties at it that yoru sick of its **** might even be theraputic on some level.

Its not you its the booze is what i'm saying.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hope you were able to seek some help or call a hotline. Alcohol will make things seem very hopeless...hope you are doing better today.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

My XABF committed suicide. He was a very smart man and a gifted photographer. He had friends, family, people who loved him. He had a lot to give to the world but unfortunately, he struggled, couldn't stay sober and gave up.
I hope that you reached out for help yesterday. Let us know how you are doing.
If you spend some time on this site, you will see that not only there is hope but there are thousands of people on SR who managed to quit and stay quit. For some, it took quite a few attempt but they never gave up.
Stay with us.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I couldn't stay sober on my own. That kind of thinking drove me straight to AA and I've been sober now since 1991. "You have to be willing to go to any lengths....." the program says and I was terrified of dying so I took all the "silly" suggestions.