Notices

Life is hard, but we make it harder

Old 04-05-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life is hard, but we make it harder

One of my go-to self help books, The Road Less Traveled, starts with the simple sentence, "Life is difficult". It goes on to explain how, once we accept that simple fact, life becomes much more manageable. It also talks about how the root of most of our mental health issues stems from the lengths that we go to avoid life's difficulties. Although this book wasn't written about alcoholism, it certainly describes our affliction perfectly. As alcoholics we have the added challenge of facing life in a dense fog, walking in quicksand, in chains, pulling an anchor.

I had a few challenges yesterday (dead car battery, late to work, etc) but I felt capable of handling them. Could even see the humor, the silver lining, in the situations I was faced with. I know that sobriety isn't going to make life's difficulties go away, but it's certainly going to make dealing with them a thousand percent more manageable.

Couldn't be more thankful for where I am in my recovery today, and for my SR community.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearPath64 View Post
One of my go-to self help books, The Road Less Traveled, starts with the simple sentence, "Life is difficult". It goes on to explain how, once we accept that simple fact, life becomes much more manageable. It also talks about how the root of most of our mental health issues stems from the lengths that we go to avoid life's difficulties. Although this book wasn't written about alcoholism, it certainly describes our affliction perfectly. As alcoholics we have the added challenge of facing life in a dense fog, walking in quicksand, in chains, pulling an anchor.

I had a few challenges yesterday (dead car battery, late to work, etc) but I felt capable of handling them. Could even see the humor, the silver lining, in the situations I was faced with. I know that sobriety isn't going to make life's difficulties go away, but it's certainly going to make dealing with them a thousand percent more manageable.

Couldn't be more thankful for where I am in my recovery today, and for my SR community.
I had to end a business relationship last month which was very stressful. Then the night before I was to fly out of town I realized I left a bag in the waiting area of a car wash.

Yes, the last week was rough but because I wasn't either drunk or hungover I got through a difficult period without making this worse.

And that for me that is what sobriety is all about. Not making things worse when life gets uncomfortable.

Can I make things better? I certainly try.

But as long as I don't make things worse I consider this a plus.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

One of the biggest things I've noticed about being sober is how much more manageable life's challenges have become. Simple things like driving, going to work, cleaning the house, dealing with family, checking email, returning calls and so on and so forth are no longer a mountain to climb.

Towards the end of my drinking career the couple hours of bliss alcohol would provide would be followed by days of anxiety. Then of course to deal with the anxiety and shakes and racing brain I needed more alcohol.

I kinda hate alcohol like I hated a bully back in middle school. Wish I would have punched him back much sooner than I did.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post.

Love the book.

XX
Old 04-05-2018, 08:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

"Just to the extent that we do as we think He would have us, and humbly rely on Him, does He enable us to match calamity with serenity."

Another AA promise, page 68.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your title says it all! Great book and absolutely true statement. It is amazing how much easier life (consistently) is now that I am sober. Things like 'making the next right choice' and 'it's ok, just one step (thing) at a time' . . . and so on - come much more easily and make hard(er) things do-able, and easy things much more normal!!
Old 04-06-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For some fear has become a source of entertainment. Afraid of the boogeyman but can't live without him.

Until one is willing to step outside their comfort zone they'll never grow.

Easier to have a doctor to give you a prescription. I read somewhere it's estimated 30 percent of the U.S. workforce is on some sort of medication.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As my first sponsor used to say: "there are good days and there are learning days". We alcoholics tend to blow things out of proportion; what we call stress non-alcoholics call life. Thanks to the program I have tools for dealing with difficult situations.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by otter View Post
I kinda hate alcohol like I hated a bully back in middle school. Wish I would have punched him back much sooner than I did.
This is classic Otter. I can still picture the guy. 5th grade for me. Yeah, I hate alcohol just like I hated that guy!
Old 04-08-2018, 03:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Soberado

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
For some fear has become a source of entertainment. Afraid of the boogeyman but can't live without him.

Until one is willing to step outside their comfort zone they'll never grow.

Easier to have a doctor to give you a prescription. I read somewhere it's estimated 30 percent of the U.S. workforce is on some sort of medication.

Right on the money Ken33xx
Old 04-08-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post! Such simple advice yet so profound!