Notices

Query re alcohol substitutes

Old 04-01-2018, 11:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Query re alcohol substitutes

Hi,

I am looking for a drink that has a sedating effect like alcohol, but does not afterwards heighten my anxiety. Coffee gives me the jitters, energy drinks nearly killed me when I was at a very bad stage of ill-health, so those don't work. Neither do sugary drinks. Has anyone tried herbal teas such as kava kava(supposed to relax one)? Any other ideas appreciated, thanks!
Old 04-01-2018, 11:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi CromCruachan

I suspect you meant calming rather than sedating - as a recovery board we're not big on sedation here

I've never tried any of the sleepy time tea stuff.

How long have you been using alcohol to sleep?

D
Old 04-02-2018, 12:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I find lemon and ginger tea very relaxing as well as delicious.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Magnesium and a cup of chamomile tea.

XX
Old 04-02-2018, 02:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

I drank lots of chamomile and sleepytime tea, even in the daytime. It was very calming for me and relieved some anxiety. In the afternoons, I have a couple of diet ginger beers. It has enough zip and buzz and satisfies my craving for a beer. I look forward to it now after a game of golf, etc. Though the ginger beer has a sugar substitute, to my knowledge it has no caffeine.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Warm milk, cocoa, hot chocolate work well for me. Also, being careful about coffee and such during the day. My spiritual condition also affects whther I sleep well or not.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There are some amino's, like Gaba, that can be calming. Talk with your dr because I don't know if you are taking meds that might not mix well with them.

Exercise is probably the best 'calming' activity in my book.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I too wanted a magic pill or drink that could make me feel the way alcohol initially did, but without the consequences. Unfortunately I found that it doesn't exist. It took a while but I found that having a balanced diet, getting some exercises, cutting way back on caffeine and sugar, and using mindfulness/meditation really got me back to being able to be "calm" a lot of the time.

A reminder to all as well about our medical advice rule - even OTC/herbal supplements can have unintended effects - so please no specific recommendations.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I found that if I wanted to find peace, then working on my recovery was what I needed to do rather than look to any foods or drinks or similar for that peace.

The answers we seek really don't come in a bottle. Its an inside job, but we need to learn the way to do it. For me that was through the 12-step recovery program with an AA sponsor. Others found different ways.

There will be no bottle on the planet that can bring inner peace.

BB
Old 04-02-2018, 08:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I drink a lot of seltzer waters.

They're tasty, but not sedating.

I would work on getting and staying sober by working a plan of recovery very hard.

If you have chronic anxiety, depression or insomnia, you may want to see a doctor (preferably a psychiatrist).

Glad you're here with us.

Please keep us posted and participate.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I drink sleepy time teas and come summer alternate between fruit and different herb teas, but none replaced alcohol. I don't know if the sleepy time tea even really works. I know drinking coffee after 5pm does not work! My body is awake at 5am, no matter what day of the week. It's been that way for 20 years since I graduated University, I doubt it will ever change.

Nothing will replace alcohol and recovery isn't about replacing it. Using the tea as a relaxing ritual, that might work. Add in mindful meditations, but nothing replaces alcohol.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I guess I had better explain:-

1) I have no problems with sleeping. Granted, alcohol makes me sleep for a bit and then I have to sleep a lot the next day once the alcohol wears off.

2) I did of course mean relaxing, not sedating. However, I am a bit nonplussed as to why the board forbids recommendation of specific herbs to replace alcohol. I don't intend overuse of them, just a way to replace the alcohol.

You see, my problem is that I have less negative effect from alcohol than most due to methods I presume I am not allowed to mention here( due to them being most unconventional indeed, though actually harmless). That is my problem. It means that, as long as I don't drink more often than once or twice a week, I can drink 3 bottles of liqeurs or spirits at a time without serious issues like delirium tremens etc.) Tea does not do it for me. I'll admit that drinking lots of water along with the alcohol does seem to inhibit the negative effects of alcohol to some extent.

Hmm, perhaps replace addictive alcohol with another drug? I don't mean cocaine or whatever, but perhaps something harmless like very minor but constant online gambling? Anyone able to suggest something along this line of thought?
Old 04-02-2018, 03:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CromCruachan View Post
I guess I had better explain:-

It means that, as long as I don't drink more often than once or twice a week, I can drink 3 bottles of liqeurs or spirits at a time without serious issues like delirium tremens etc.)

Hmm, perhaps replace addictive alcohol with another drug? I don't mean cocaine or whatever, but perhaps something harmless like very minor but constant online gambling? Anyone able to suggest something along this line of thought?
I'm sorry, but your post is a bit shocking in the casual and flippant way you state you can drink once or twice a week "3 bottles of liquor or spirits without serious issues". It appears you think if you don't have delirium tremens that there is no serious issue. This is way off base. The three bottles by itself IS a serious issue which can do enormous damage in untold ways over a lifetime. Your next thought of about replacing addictive alcohol with another drug it seems just as casual and flippant. "Constant online gaming" is in no way "very minor". As others have said, you need to work on you.... but not work on finding another substance.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can drink 3 bottles of liqeurs or spirits at a time without serious issues like delirium tremens etc.)
I think SR is the right place for you but I'm not sure if you're ready to hear what we have to say.

I spent a lot of time trying to keep drinking in my life but not suffer the negative consequences of my drinking.

Part of that effort was trying to find things that gave me the effect of alcohol , or allowed me to drink alcohol without the drawbacks.

I never found anything that did what I wanted that I couldn't find some way to misuse.

There are things worse in their way than the DTs.

I ended up an all day every day drinker.
I know that must sound almost like another planet to you, but I was you once.

Alcoholism is progressive.
Drinking 3 bottles of liqueur/spirits in one go is binge drinking at dangerous levels.

I got my life back the day I quit drinking, for good.
I hope one day soon for your sake you'll consider doing the same.

all the best.
D
Old 04-03-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think the reason common herbs are discouraged is, something can be common and harmless to one person and deadly to another.

Imagine we're at a SR party, I have a heart attack, because you have seen it on commercials and in PSA's you crush up an aspirin and stick it in my mouth Yay I saved Horsie - except you didn't, now I am dead because I have an anaphylactic reaction. I am deadly allergic to aspirin, something I didn't discover until well into adulthood Something so simple, instead of a hero, now you are a murderer. That is why we do not recommend herbs, we are not doctors. What is simple and harmless to one is deadly to another or can react with medications, too many variables.

However, I do find cultivating my own herbs, oregano, dill, spearmint to be very relaxing and then learning what herbs, lavender, some rose hips, spearmint can be dried in my dehydrator and made into tea, or used in cooking. It becomes ritualistic, selecting the varieties, growing them carefully, harvesting them, drying them, then using them. There is a pride in serving and enjoying things you grow yourself. There is also a certain euphoric high that comes from it and because I controlled the dirt to plate process, I know it is safe for me. I find solace in the process, moreso than the drink.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'll just say that I used teas specifically to relax me, treat my anxiety and help me sleep in the beginning of my sobriety. I found these teas in a general supermarket tea aisle. I'd love to grow my own tea but you'll find people have already figured out what works and mixed it up for you to buy in a box.

There are some that are so "calming" that they knock me out in minutes. You can do your own research.

I don't need the teas now at 6 months.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Pastafarian

OMG - substitute gambling for alcohol?! That is like when I complained about anxiety and someone said to me, "Here, have a shot of vodka."

How about substituting something like exercise? Perhaps a competitive sport. Are you physically able to do that? It takes up a lot of time, training and competing. And you can't be drinking bc that affects performance.