Notices

I snapped twice this weekend... so far!

Old 04-01-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

I snapped twice this weekend... so far!

Got several months of sobriety under my belt. Things have been okay all winter as I am still "discovering myself." Anyways, this weekend I snapped twice at the family, over something stupid. After I calmed down I realized I was an ass. It started off with me cooking a few meals which I used to enjoy (while drinking) but it's becoming more of a stress as of late. I'd rather be outside now, either doing yard/garden work or hiking or running.

I'm also having weird sleep patterns again.... having nights I don't really sleep. When I do doze off, I get these real bazaar nightmares.... like stuff I have no clue where they came from!! I haven't had that since I quit drinking. Just simply weird.

A few weeks ago, I took one of those generic online tests and came back positive as being both bi-polar and maybe having PTSD. But I'm not gonna start diagnosing myself here. I told my wife if this keeps up, I'll see a doctor again. Any ideas??
Old 04-01-2018, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry you’re having a tough time, sharing about has always been helpful, I’m glad you did, I can relate! Hang in there, going to the doctor is never a bad idea!

I’m still learning on how to live life on life’s terms every day, I’ve had a few curve balls thrown at me to lately.. I have to keep trudging forward!! Thankful to be sober on this special Easter Day!!

Wishing you the best! Have a great week!!
Old 04-01-2018, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dave42001 View Post

I’m still learning on how to live life on life’s terms every day
Apparently, so am I!
Old 04-01-2018, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
Got several months of sobriety under my belt. Things have been okay all winter as I am still "discovering myself." Anyways, this weekend I snapped twice at the family, over something stupid. After I calmed down I realized I was an ass. It started off with me cooking a few meals which I used to enjoy (while drinking) but it's becoming more of a stress as of late. I'd rather be outside now, either doing yard/garden work or hiking or running.

I'm also having weird sleep patterns again.... having nights I don't really sleep. When I do doze off, I get these real bazaar nightmares.... like stuff I have no clue where they came from!! I haven't had that since I quit drinking. Just simply weird.

A few weeks ago, I took one of those generic online tests and came back positive as being both bi-polar and maybe having PTSD. But I'm not gonna start diagnosing myself here. I told my wife if this keeps up, I'll see a doctor again. Any ideas??
The good thing is you recognized you were wrong for snapping at your family like that. It happens. We're going to make mistakes in recovery as well as in life.

What I would suggest next is to make amends to your family for snapping at them like that if you haven't done so already. Apologize to them for going off like that.

After that just do your best not to let it happen again. Try to recognize when that stress and anger is building up and if you see that it is just walk away or find some outlet like exercising or something like that. You can always join LA Fitness or a gym if the weather isn't good outside to exercise.

If the cooking is pis sing you off maybe ask your wife if she can do it or have a talk with her about what's getting you angry.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

1. Make amends to the people you snapped at.
2. Don’t take quizzes on the internet.
3. Don’t drink today.
4. Repeat these three things tomorrow’.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

Im on the spectrum at least for a bunch of stuff im sure. Ive read a ton of books and so on its a process. I had to figure out what works for me and what doesnt and get to know myself all over and adopt a good routine.

Email me if you want we can go hit a trail or aomething i happen to have a lot of time on my hands now lol.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
1. Make amends to the people you snapped at.
2. Don’t take quizzes on the internet.
3. Don’t drink today.
4. Repeat these three things tomorrow’.
1. Already did... wife seems to understand. I think she's just happy I'm sober!
2. If this keeps up, I'm seeing a real doctor.
3. Plan on it!

Last night went a little better. No weird nightmares but had some real amusing dreams, though. Still not getting the rest I need. Hopefully this wears off in a few days.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Maybe a sleep clinic?
My spouse doesn’t sleep well since some surgery 3 years ago (he’s fine now).
I have recommended a sleep study, so far, to no avail.
Fortunately, he is retired, and can make up that sleep during the day, which he does.
Good luck.