Notices

Feeling so anxious

Old 03-30-2018, 04:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

Feeling so anxious

I’m shaking. My heart is beating so fast.
I don’t know how to relax. I listened to some spoken work on you tube but it didn’t help.
I tried chatting with EAP but all the counsellor are busy and they said to try again in 90 minutes.
I would be drinking to relax but it’s a holiday and no stores open.
And I’m all alone right now. Really don’t know what to do. I wish I boyfriend was home .
Old 03-30-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're having a bad day Anarock.
Do you have any ideas on why you're so anxious?

D
Old 03-30-2018, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Samantha

I’m always anxious it’s just worse than normal right now. Haven’t been able to get to see my counsellor lately and I really want to but she’s on holidays.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I understand. I have an anxiety disorder and take medication for it. I would be a ball of anxiety and not able to leave the house without it.
Drinking, well the day after, made me too anxious to even get out of bed. So drinking isn't going to help.
I do hope you can get someone to talk to, I know having a therapist has made me feel better.

You're not alone. Make yourself comfortable as possible and maybe do an activity to take your mind off it. I exercise or listen to the radio. It helps.
Best to you.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
I understand. I have an anxiety disorder and take medication for it. I would be a ball of anxiety and not able to leave the house without it.
Drinking, well the day after, made me too anxious to even get out of bed. So drinking isn't going to help.
I do hope you can get someone to talk to, I know having a therapist has made me feel better.

You're not alone. Make yourself comfortable as possible and maybe do an activity to take your mind off it. I exercise or listen to the radio. It helps.
Best to you.
This totally helps me . I do take meds but it’s just been sooo bad today.
I have seen a counsellor and I like her but she’s sadly on holidays. I can’t wait til she gets back and I already have 2 appointments booked for when she’s back.
I just really need to get through today.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You've had bad anxiety before? And it's gone away before...just with time?

So will this episode.

Please don't entertain the idea that drinking would fix this.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You've had bad anxiety before? And it's gone away before...just with time?

So will this episode.

Please don't entertain the idea that drinking would fix this.
Nope I got through the night. Didn’t sleep much and I’m tired but really hoping today is better.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Never hesitate to lighten those heavy
burdens or cross on your shoulders by
sharing with us what maybe causing
your anxiety. Remember, none of us
ever have to go thru anything alone
or by ourselves.

You'd be surprised that when you
share what's going on in your life
or what maybe troubling you with
others, so many of us have either
been there, done that or gone thru
similar situations as you.

Sharing with others you may receive
some suggestions or directions
in helping you solve what may seem
huge to you could very well be a solvable
and simple solution.

We are here for you thru friendship,
care and understanding in recovery life.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

In early sobriety I used to regularly get this sense of impending doom. I thought the sky was going to fall on me. It wasn't about drinking it was more what the heck is going on? why am I feeling like this? It was quite frightening.

I had a fair amount of brain damage, and had a lot of trouble thinking or reasoning my way through. Actually I found it impossible. I had got in the habit of calling my sponsor each day and telling him what I was doing. Lucky for me he had a great memory and was a good listener.

I hadn't taken many of the steps at this time, and I was unaware of how my way of thinking and acting was a big contributor to all my problems. So my sponsor used to unravel things for me, and help me see how certain decisions and actions, based on my old way of thinking, were actually putting me in conflict with the people around me. Once a few of these actions had been taken, they kind of clumped together, losing their original form and become a big, nebulous cloud of doom. All of my own making it seems.

This all became clear as I worked through the steps. So one answer to the problem was to have a good sponsor. But as you know, people have feet of clay. Sometimes they won't be available, so it was no good being dependent on just one person.

The second answer that never failed me, was to head to the AA rooms and talk to another alcoholic, preferably a newcomer. That always set me on my feet.

The third and most permanent answer was to work the steps which completely changed my outlook, and behaviour. That awful feeling went away arouns step five and has never returned. On top of that I have a working realationship with God, and he has never let me down.