Notices

relating to the levity and gravity of sobriety

Old 03-29-2018, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

relating to the levity and gravity of sobriety

I heard a speaker at a meeting tonight and I respected the way he conducted himself. He didn’t seem to take his sobriety with the seriousness that I typically see. I gather he takes it seriously, but all the same, he carried it with a reckless disregard. Not for sobriety per se, but for its attendant pomp and circumstance. Whatever it was, I respected his flippant demeanor and devil-may-care nonchalance to it all. He didn’t seem to be weighed down by his alcoholism or his sobriety. I’m going to take a page out of his playbook.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I mean sobriety is a very serious thing but I also didn't want to fill my sober life with strict regiments and rituals that mirrored the neurosis I had about drinking. It's taken a while for me to feel ready to get outside myself again but really life is an adventure and it's meant to be lived..

There is serious work involved and it takes however long it takes.. but I think it's also important to not lose your sense of humor along the way!
Old 03-29-2018, 08:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful

We have been speaking to you of serious, sometimes tragic things. We have been dealing with alcohol in its worst aspect. But we aren't a glum lot. If newcomers could see no joy or fun in our existence, they wouldn't want it. We absolutely insist on enjoying life. We try not to indulge in cynicism over the state of the nations, nor do we carry the world's troubles on our shoulders. When we see a man sinking into the mire that is alcoholism, we give him first aid and place what we have at his disposal. For his sake, we do recount and almost relive the horrors of our past. But those of us who have tried to shoulder the entire burden and trouble of others find we are soon overcome by them.

So we think cheerfulness and laughter make for usefulness. Outsiders are sometimes shocked when we burst into merriment over a seemingly tragic experience out of the past. But why shouldn't we laugh? We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others.
Alcoholics Anonymous 1st Edition p. 132
Old 03-30-2018, 12:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I get what you are saying.

Here is the way I look at it.

I used to drink too much. Now I don't drink at all. On average, probably drank about the same as others, but in my typical all or nothing that apply to most things in my life.

But at the end of the day, being addicted to alcohol is not who I am, its just a small but critical part.

Critical because if I forget it, bad sh*t going to happen. And also because it led me to a much happier existence that I would have had otherwise.

So, I treat my addiction with a healthy respect and thanks for all the good it has brought me.

XX
Old 03-30-2018, 12:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The pomp and circumstance is definitely optional. The folk I know with great sobriety are all ones who can share their experience, strength and hope with humility and some humour. Like my sponsor told me, recovery teaches us to laugh at ourselves, and stop taking ourselves so seriously. Or as a straight talking Glasweigan with decades of sobriety put it one meeting 'Once we can climb out of our bum-holes, then we get to see the sunshine and smell the daisies. And thats the joy of recovery.'

BB
Old 03-30-2018, 12:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

PS Please tell me you took that guys number DD. Or at least spoke to him!
Old 03-30-2018, 04:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I find myself laughing and smiling so much more now that I'm sober. The only thing I was ever deadly serious about was my drinking!
Old 03-30-2018, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

AA saying: "wear your recovery like a loose garment". After a bit of time you realize alcoholism is part of the picture but it doesn't define you.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

People tell me that I exhibit joy. In general, that's true - and it's a freedom and a new peace that the BB promises (para 4th ed, re the promises of AA).

I have a strong discipline about my program of recovery - note that word, I did not say "sobriety" - but not taking myself seriously is indeed part of that letting go of being in charge of the world and all its players (para again)....

I have a pretty wonderful life and I am grateful that it shows.