Notices

What have you replaced alcohol with?

Old 03-28-2018, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Once again I only lasted one week without a drink. Nothing besides work distracts me from my tedious life. It's depressing that I can't come up with some sort of hobby to enjoy. How did you guys find something to replace alcohol with?
Old 03-28-2018, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by froghat View Post
Once again I only lasted one week without a drink. Nothing besides work distracts me from my tedious life. It's depressing that I can't come up with some sort of hobby to enjoy. How did you guys find something to replace alcohol with?
I didn't look at getting sober as "replacing alcohol" so much as learning to live sober after "removing alcohol" from my life.

That said, it took longer than a week for me to start reaping the rewards of sobriety. I immersed myself in recovery--learning about alcohol, my addiction, overcoming it, and learning new coping strategies.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would agree with Carl. The alcohol itself was really not even the problem for me, it was my unwillingness/inability to face life on it's own terms. Alcohol was the vehicle I used to try and run away/hide from life, but the real problem was my decision to do so.

You posted virtually this same question last time you were here and there were a slew of recommendations for "things to do", (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...t-boredom.html (Drink out of boredom)) and we even have a sticky thread. But perhaps instead of focusing on just replacing alcohol with another hobby to distract you from life, you should focus on addressing the real issue? By that I mean putting some kind of actionable recovery plan in place? That could mean joining a recovery group, or maybe seeing an addiction counselor. It could mean seeing a therapist or doing some self-help reading. Or maybe it means joining a class thread here on SR and posting on a daily basis. Or maybe even a combination of all of those?

Bottom line though, you won't solve your addiction issue by just finding a hobby - because addiction is not a hobby.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Exercise, therapy, and better coping skills. Those would likely be my top three
Old 03-28-2018, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Inner reflection? Not a fun or easy process at first but that's the only honest answer I can give..
Old 03-28-2018, 01:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Finding true gratitude was key for me; prior to that I was simply white-knuckling.

I didn't have support in early sobriety and had no idea how important gratuitous was - so finding gratitude was a Gift From God, I believe.

My suggestion would be to actively seek support (here and/or elsewhere) and practice gratitude.

All the best to you, frog hat.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cosima11 View Post
Inner reflection? Not a fun or easy process at first but that's the only honest answer I can give..
Good answer

P
Old 03-28-2018, 03:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice food mainly. Food is what I live for. Romance. Exercise. Computer games. Nature. All hard to understand that they’re interesting when you’ve been a boozer for years or at least not interesting without a drink but you’d be surprised after a little abstinence.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Recovery methods..ie: therapy, writing and exercise(just started yoga) are my big 3.

Things to distract me, but vitally important to my recovery...Art, producing youtube videos, writing, netflix....movies..restoring muscle cars, some video games, radio control planes, drones, cars and trucks.

I'm semi-retired. I NEED the constant distraction or I drive myself nuts.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Life.

I discovered it was passing me by when I was drunk.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Recovery.

There's different ways to do this, but whichever way people work it, it's recovery that makes sobriety bearable, then comfortable, and one day preferable to drinking. Dee's links about making a sober plan are a good start... https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...y-plans-1.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
For me personally this has meant working a 12-step plan of recovery with an AA sponsor, going to AA meetings, and reading and posting on here daily.

As I started to get more well because of my recovery work, then my life has naturally become richer with new friends and hobbies and interests. But the recovery work needs to be top priority. Because without that I'm in no state to enjoy any of those things anyway.

BB
Old 03-29-2018, 12:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Lpg

It's took me 5 months to even begin to think about replacing with hobbies (iv been doing alot of feeling sorry for myself.... Doesn't help) but recently iv been gardening, tried my first hike at the weekend just past great experience I'd recommend, I love time alone also I tend to go into relaxation zone out mode and for me I'm classing that as a hobbies titled 'me time' because I enjoy it and it helps me stay grounded (I never used to make time for myself) so I take a bath, read books and go nice walks in the woods and take in nature. I done alot of walking in the early days as it wasn't too exhausting and it took my mind off things alcohol related.
AA has helped me hugely, I don't know why it helps but it just does, I go into a meeting thinking I can't do this and come out feeling I can. It's the one place I feel I can be truly honest without judgement and shown understanding. I'm still getting the hang off it but slowly I'm getting there.

It's hard but it's worth it, you can do it!
Old 03-29-2018, 05:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
under new management

Drinking was my prison and once I walked out of the prison door, the sky became the limit!

I could do whatever I wanted, with whomever I wanted, whenever I wanted!

Remember back before you drank? What did you do then? What do children do? They just live their lives, have fun, learn new things. They don't wonder how to fill their days or live their lives, they just do it!

I try new things, I work on my relationships, I delve into hobbies and passions that I let fall by the wayside. I learn about myself, I experience pain, happiness and boredom. But, I do it all with a crystal clear view.

just adding that I didn't find all of this in my first week of sober life. it took time and effort. there were some tough days, weeks and months to work through. the important thing to know, is that your life is there, just waiting for you. the time and effort, the temporary discomfort, all of it will pay off.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by froghat View Post
i think i understand what youre saying here- not so much about replacing alcohol as finding what to do with all of the time now?
the big book of AA has a little something about this i found pretty awesome:
We have shown how we got out from under. You say, "Yes, I'm willing. But am I to be consigned to a life where I shall be stupid, boring and glum, like some righteous people I see? I know I must get along without liquor, but how can I? Have you a sufficient substitute?"

Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Thus we find the fellowship, and so will you.

early on in recovery, i was doing what i should have been doing all along- i started adulting.
that being taking care of my house(yardwork, housework, bills, etc), being responsible and productive at work- things i had to learn how to do and be without alcohol.
PLUS learning about me- a whole lot of that.
eventually i started hobbies- gardening and woodworking being the main ones. i also looked at my past at things i liked to do- way back to when i was a kid. i built some models, got back into rocketry, did some jigsaw puzzles( i do NOT have patience for those STILL!), and a bunch of other things i dont recall.
i also started helping others- home repiars, car repairs- however i could help them with the talents/skills God gave me.

it was a process- learn as i went.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I might get a lot of hate for this answer, but an e-vapor e-cigarette is saving my life through recovery right now! I know it’s bad for you, but hell its not nearly as detrimental to my life as alcohol has been. I will eventually quit this too, but I’ve gotta cut myself some slack on this one. I’d much rather be hooked on an e-cigarette/nicotine than alcohol that puts me in legal, emotional and physical risks so great.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, it's tough because I suffer from social anxiety and have zero friends. Besides my parents and sisters I don't really have anyone to talk to besides people at work. It's hard to really connect with people once you are out of school and in your 30's.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
under new management

Have you ever had any hobbies or is there something you are interested in trying?

I agree about the difficulty in making friends, the older we get, although, from my viewpoint, 59 years, 30's seems young I joke but, I really do understand the difficulty. I am an introvert and have a hard time trusting people and opening up.

Are there any solitary pursuits you could try for now? Nature walking or model building, for instance?

I like to read, scrapbook, walk, I have some "must see TV" that brings me pleasure.

In my early days, sometimes it was just making it through the day.

froghat, I hope you stick with this, it does get better
Old 03-29-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Drinking can literally suck the life out of you. If you are of a sober mind, you can reach inside yourself and review the dreams you once had for yourself and find your answer. It's there, buried somewhere. But you're never going to tap that while inebriated. Give it a chance, what do you have to lose except your life force?
Old 03-29-2018, 11:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Fruit juice!

Replaced my beer. It's much more thirst quenching!
Old 03-30-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Daily meetings, calling other alcoholics and working the program for the first year. Then life got busy and full.