Notices

Effects on our bodies

Old 03-25-2018, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Effects on our bodies

I’m on day 39! Longest I’ve stayed sober in around 10 years!! I’m feeling generally happy, having the expected low moments but still determined to not drink! Something I’d noticed in the past few months, is that my scalp has been very dry and flaky and my hair has been falling out quite a lot my hairdresser had noticed this today and asked if I was going through stress, and I’d replied that the last couple of months had been quite tough (although not going into details) but I’m sure this issue has been an effect of my drinking. Has anyone suffered anything similar?
Old 03-25-2018, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

YES. I started seeing a new hair dresser and colorist maybe 2 months/a few visits before I quit drinking. They best described my scalp as "angry." Boy, was it! My hair had been thinning for awhile and it was red and....

They are just amazed at the health and fullness I have now. I have been sober 25 mo and have a healthy lifestyle- everything in my body has seen benefit!!
Old 03-25-2018, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remember an ex-gf of mine got alopecia really badly when she got sober. The dr said it was stress induced. She had the same symptoms you described to a T.

The dr ended up giving her a steroid shot and she was fine after a couple of months.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I got a fantastic haircut and felt really good about myself about 5 months in. Then my hair started falling out.

Not really sure why, but it's probably a combination of the stress I put my body under in my last bender and a low calorie ketogenic diet in recovery.

Lots of rogaine and caretaking. It's slowly coming back in patches.

Need to investigate that steroid shot thing.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been having some scalp issues, but stopped drinking a while back so think it may be stress. Who'd have thunk??
Old 03-26-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

OMG yes. You could SEE MY SCALP at the end of my drinking. I was so very sick. My hair is now thick and full! And I am healthy as a horse Sobriety is great.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Up until my last appointment - last Wednesday I would suffer for about a week after visiting my hairdresser. Itchy scalp, trying to itch it at meetings with no one watching, going into the bathroom to give it a good rub - if anyone saw me, they'd think I was lousy. However, I do submit my head to a chemical cocktail every 4-6 weeks with regrowth and high, mid and low-lights. This time a couple days and done! My hairdresser even complimented how good my ends were and I am a daily heat styling gal, my straightener gets to 425 in 10 seconds and I use it every day. Nothing changed and I think I squeezed an extra 10 days out of this colour - once I straight iron curl, dump gobs of shine serum and hairspray, nobody can really notice, except me.

I saw a ton of initial improvements after the first month, but I am seeing way more now! I didn't notice right away, but aside from when I take off my pantyhose (compression style, but you can't tell, these aren't your granny's compression hose), my skin never itches and I only itch for like a half hour then because I do have varicose veins and the release makes them itch for some reason. I haven't had any skin issues. I never could eat eggs, it didn't matter how they were cooked. This last week I have been on a cobb salad kick - something I never ate at work before because we buy crappy toilet paper for the ladies washroom LOL My tummy issues aren't perfect, but they are a ways better!
Old 03-28-2018, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes I had something similar twice called seborrhoaic dermatitis. I’d imagine toxins from the alcohol coming out through my skin making itall crusty and horrible. Went away after stopping drinking.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Unfortunately my hair's exactly the same after being sober for about 3 months. It fell out over 10 years ago and hasn't come back.

My skin is a lot better though ...