Notices

Need some encouragement

Old 03-22-2018, 09:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks

Dear Bossybutt,MacLyn,Dropsie,Amarock,

Thank you all so much for the encouragement and advice!
I have made it through another day and I do credit that because the folks on this forum.
Blessings to each one who responded to my cry!
Old 03-22-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is what I use as a short term sobriety plan when thoughts of drinking occur. Perhaps it will help you or others:

Short term
  • The next time I consider drinking, I will stop whatever I’m doing and do a quick mindful meditation (or urge surfing) until the desire subsides.
  • I will remind myself that the psychological cravings won’t hurt me.
  • I will remind myself that the cravings and desires are coming from my addictive voice and will soon dissipate after being recognized as such.
  • I will remind myself that the cravings, desires and daydreams about drinking are temporary and will diminish over time.
  • I will remind myself that this interim period of strong cravings and desires may last a few months, but it will not last long term, and I will eventually come through to the other side to a place where I no longer desire alcohol.
  • I will stop myself from entertaining thoughts of drinking as soon as they occur by turning my thought elsewhere.
  • I will remind myself that I don’t need alcohol in order to be happy and to truly enjoy life.
  • I will stop myself from romanticizing alcohol by turning my attention to healthy activities and thoughts
  • I will remember that sobriety will bring long-term happiness

I have this on my phone's memo pad and on my laptop. Whenever I notice myself craving alcohol or romanticizing or day dreaming about having a drink, I read this. It has helped me keep my thoughts focused on the positives of sobriety rather than fighting cravings and feeling that I'm missing something beneficial by giving up drinking. I hope it helps.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Prayers going out for you.

BB
Old 03-23-2018, 02:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the wisdom,encouragement and prayers!
I am so grateful for the help and kindness from everyone.
I have another day sober. Each day I feel stronger but I am not going to underestimate my enemy=A/V
The short term goal list is really helpful.
Thanks for sharing your stategies