Notices

question about seizures

Old 03-20-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question about seizures

Hello, I am usually in the F&F forum, but I have a question that I thought this forum might be better able to answer. I also understand that no one here is qualified to offer medical advice and I am not seeking any specific diagnoses.

My ex is an alcoholic who has been drinking for at least a couple of decades and is deteriorating rapidly. He has had episodes of hallucinations and suicidal intent over the last few days. This morning I was told that he was having seizures and had been re-admitted to hospital after falling and hitting his head yesterday while seizing. To the best of my knowledge he has no medical history of seizures for himself or his family.

All the information I can find online about alcohol and seizures pertains to withdrawal - but I understand my ex has been drinking heavily rather than withdrawing. Is it possible for seizures to be brought on by alcohol consumption alone?

(I guess the answer is "almost any bad thing can be a consequence of alcohol abuse", but I'm wondering if there is any more detailed information. This is pretty alarming).
Old 03-20-2018, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, "withdrawal" can occur while he's passed out, or within hours of his last drink - so...

Have you read about Kindling? Here's an NIH Article
Old 03-20-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Kindling for sure and it sounds like your ex has pretty severe alcoholism. With a history of DT's, seizures and becoming on a first name basis at the ER is likely going to be a common occurrence if he keeps drinking.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have had 3, I haven’t had anything show up on MRIs etc, sometimes I had been drinking heavily for weeks then stopped, and others I had not been sleeping well.

So from my experience and in my opinion, yes they can. Your case does seem like it involves DTs etc, and from what I know seizures can be a part of that too. All of this can be treated but needs urgent professional medical attention