Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

losing the fear of economic insecurity, in the Promises

Notices

losing the fear of economic insecurity, in the Promises

Old 03-22-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Sobriety has enabled me not to undermine financial issues with all types of avoidance.

Cognitive therapy, as mentioned above, has taught me how to get past all-or-nothing, catastrophizing black-or-white thinking. Much of the time when we are enraged or angry it's triggered by a though that is actually a cognitive distortion, and if you subject the premise of this thought to any sort of rational evidence test, it proves to be untrue.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:04 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
Time2Rise: from a practical matter, that’s fundamentally the gist of it. Best that I focus on maintaining/building/enhancing/expanding economic security than worry about losing the fearing thereof.
I try to do a little something each day to better my financial situation. Sometimes it's as small as looking for and using a coupon, not buying something I don't really need or reading an article about financial security.

Doing this regularly really helps to keep the financial worries at bay because I know that little by little I'm improving my financial wellbeing. These small actions can greatly affect one's psyche in a positive way IMO.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

So true. Small successes are far better than putting off action because you can't face a huge task.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

SoberTyger,

That's reassuring, that you lost the fear of economic insecurity by working the steps. Thank you for sharing your experience; I appreciate it.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I have been sober, having worked the steps, been in a position of earning plenty of money yet still been riddled with economic insecurity (And the fear thereof).

Typical symptoms: gnawing anxiety...fear of losing things or not getting enough...worrying aboit tomorrow...jealousy...defensive aggression when threatened...spending however much money comes in as if someone is about to take it off me otherwise...Being a miser and hoarding...and plenty more besides.

Over the years...by working the program and facing my troubles as they come...this has mostly slipped away. If I have plenty...I am content. If I have little...I am content. I don't run scared or let these fears get acted out on those around me anymore.

Just a few thoughts...good luck on the journey friend. Don't lose faith and don't let your doubts stand in the way of the miracle

P