Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

losing the fear of economic insecurity, in the Promises

Notices

losing the fear of economic insecurity, in the Promises

Old 03-19-2018, 01:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
been a long time since ive heard this promise mentioned and good to know what it means.
what i was taught is it means i will not worry about material needs. i will be content with what i have and that wealth isnt measured by dollar signs. i will value what cant be bought and realize material consumption is an endless bottomless pit.
plus to remember it is FEAR of it- not financial insecurity itself.

MATERIAL AND SPIRITUAL WELL-BEING

Fear . . . of economic insecurity will leave us.

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 84

Having fear reduced or eliminated and having economic circumstances improve, are two different things. When I was new in A.A., I had those two ideas confused. I thought fear would leave me only when I started making money. However, another line from the Big Book jumped off the page one day when I was chewing on my financial difficulties: "For us, material well-being always followed spiritual progress; it never preceded." (p. 127). I suddenly understood that this promise was a guarantee. I saw that it put priorities in the correct order, that spiritual progress would diminish that terrible fear of being destitute, just as it diminished many other fears.

Today I try to use the talents God gave me to benefit others. I've found that is what others valued all along. I try to remember that I no longer work for myself. I only get the use of the wealth God created, I never have "owned" it. My life's purpose is much clearer when I just work to help, not to possess.
Marvelous post TomSteve, Your post hits the nail on the head. Fear is what is removed, not the situation. And you have a great point, using the time and talents that are God-given ensure some serene, joyful living. That's what the literature says somewhere that Love and Service is our creed. Once we get the service down, and even practice it reluctantly, we suddenly find we practice it unconsciously, it has become a new way of living. Great post, well done!
Old 03-19-2018, 01:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
Although financial recovery is on the way for many of us, we found we could not place money first. For us, material well-being always followed spiritual progress; it never preceded.
Amazing what is found in the pages of the book
Old 03-19-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
Amazing what is found in the pages of the book
i hear ya!
hundreds of times read and i still get moments i say,"HUH!"
Old 03-20-2018, 07:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I was also very skeptical of this claim when I first saw it quoted by someone on these boards. With time, however, I came to realize what money symbolized for me: escape from reality. Money and booze were pretty interchangeable in my mind and I relied heavily on thinking of myself as having enough money to say "f*** you world" and "do my own thing" (i.e., drink a lot). Surprisingly, this mentality led to some life issues and ultimately, money issues.

With a little time under my belt, I can see what I really value in my existence--health; working hard; being independent; respecting myself. Maybe getting a little respect from World, maybe not. But the response to financial insecurity is no longer 1) getting angry; 2) getting depressed; 3) drinking; 4) stressing; 5) avoiding & creating more financial problems.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

TS -- I love this: I try to remember that I no longer work for myself. I only get the use of the wealth God created, I never have "owned" it. My life's purpose is much clearer when I just work to help, not to possess.

DD: I was chatting with my therapist the other day about some other issues I have and she reminded me that the order is:
- Thinking
- Acting
- Feeling

Folks like me are wanting the feeling before they act, but it don't work like that.
You are never going to feel like it.

So am I am not a steps person, but I do think some of the most mentally healthy people I know are those that have worked them with a good sponsor.

As others have said, why not?? I think I am going to give it a go, and I stopped drinking a long time ago.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Definitely. The fear that was part of active alcoholism and early recovery has left.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I agree with TS entirely.

I don't own anything.

I have temporary possession over what we have.

Our obligation is to be good stewards of it and to use it for God's purpose.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

As the universe would have it, I just picked up a great book that I would highly recommend to anyone who has psychological issues around money, which I do big time.

Called Mind Over Money, and it is excellent. Get it.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The answer to fear is faith, something I developed through experience acquired in the course of the AA manner of living. There are something like 160 promises in the book, good things that happened when they followed directions, and bad things that happened when they didn't.

The third step has a great promise, really relating to the fruits of carrying through on the third step decision. This has always come true for me. It goes like "We had a new employer. Being all powerful He provides what we need if we stay close to Him and perform His work well" It tells me all will be ok, and what I need to do to stay that way. Part of that is step 9 amends, the other part may be the deal we made in the third step prayer, our part being to bear witness through how we live our lives, to His power, His Love, and His way of life.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

I am not in the best shape financially at present.

substantial debts and no job.

however if i have faith in recovery, stay sober odaat and work the program things will sort out fine.

might take a awhile but i don't set the clock.

the great spirit does.

i let it do what it does, and i do my best, we work together,

just for today i have replaced fear and neurosis with fortitude and faith

Old 03-21-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

So true Mike and VM.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:16 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
~sb

Yes, this can be true!
Old 03-22-2018, 01:43 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
I am working the steps Berrybean, but I really do wonder if this fear of economic insecurity *ever* goes away, spiritual progress notwithstanding.
This is one of the promises that I have experienced and grown with over my two and a dash years of sobriety. I've gotten jobs and lost one, and gradually made progress to the place I find myself- and my husband and I find ourselves- in year three. I can honestly say that we are amazed at how treating this issue as "one decision at a time" and turning it over to God has materialized in the right path for me and therefore as additional income for us, both literally and in the ways that matter and are meant for me.

I had to train myself to focus on assessing what I needed right then (now) and learn to believe that if I kept up my end of the deal, working my program, this part would take care of itself.

I might not be describing my acceptance- settling into- this area well, but I know that I have found comfort in trusting my HP, even when I couldn't see an answer or a next step at the time.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:00 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
zjw

I read a quote by mooji "there can be great poverty in wealth and great wealthy in poverty"

I've met some poor folks who where great people great fathers and in early sobriety i was in awe at how happy some of these folks could be yet i had so much and could be so miserable.

I dont have much fear about enconomic insecurity for myself alone. I'll wonder homeless and eat peoples table scraps as they leave a resturant. there aint no shame in my game. I'd like to think i might even enjoy the adventure aspect of it and the liberating feeling of nothing being tied down becuase of societal norms etc..

But here is where my fear comes in. I fear economic insecurity for my wife and kids sake. They dont have the same mindset I do and would suffer from it. I'd then suffer simply becuase I'd feel bad for them.

Some of the zen stuff i read would tell me I'm too attached perhaps. and That is likely true but they are my wife and kids its sorta tough to not be.

I can look at it another way tho and think welp if it comes to that it comes to that. if they walk out from me over it so be it. I just have to be happy with what is.

its all easier said then done. So yeah being destitute all alone doesnt really seem to phase me fear wise. sure i'd have to stomach being without some creature comforts but i'd adapt and be fine. But my wife and kids?
Old 03-22-2018, 05:33 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Getting there. Through hard work, a solid financial plan, paying off debts and learning to rely on my intuition and my connection to the universe. Yes.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:55 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
I am working the steps Berrybean, but I really do wonder if this fear of economic insecurity *ever* goes away, spiritual progress notwithstanding.
if you want it to go away and are willing to work for it, it will.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:10 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
zjw

for what its worth too it was not till i got sober that I was able to dig my way out of debt and stay that way.

now of course given my present predicament who knows how this will play now lol.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I don't know about God, or working the Steps, but if I'm not making smart decisions about my chosen career and finances and then rolling up my sleeves and working hard, day in and day out, I will probably never experience economic security.

And if I'm drinking, I'll never be able to make smart decisions and consistently work hard.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:56 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Time2Rise: from a practical matter, that’s fundamentally the gist of it. Best that I focus on maintaining/building/enhancing/expanding economic security than worry about losing the fearing thereof.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

This has been my first winter since sobering up and working the steps, and i do feel a huge difference. I am a landscape gardener, meaning work is really low in winter and I've hardly had any income since new years, also because of stupid decisions I made in the past i dropped out of my unemployment insurance, meaning i really earned no money at all when not working... but I haven't really worried much, even though I have been pretty broke all winter and had to dig deep into my savings to manage my pills, evne postpone a few... My mindset just changed; if I can fix the problem, no need to worry, just deal with it in the best possible way. Wanted to buy a few things I cannot afford? Just forget it and get on... I need to phone a few creditors and get my bills delayed? No worry, most understand perfectly when I honestly explain my situation...

Before often got so bugged down in financial worries I made awful decisions because the worries kept me from thinking straight. Like, taking expensive online loans to pay bills and that sort of stuff. Still paying on those debts now...

I have a awful lot of stuff in my life at the moment I could worry about if I let myself worry about it, but luckily I've learned ways of keeping the worries off my mind, and try to deal with things in the best possible way