Notices

my first post

Old 11-04-2004, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my first post

Hello everyone.

I am an alcoholic. It's been six days since my last drink. I've tried to quit a few other times, lasted a few weeks, a few months once when the court made me, and after my bottom last week I never want to have another drink in my whole life. But I'm scared. As tall and proud as I try to stand I know that deep down inside I am horrified by the idea of never having another drink again.

It's not so much that I just want to sit down and have a beer, it's more walking by bars and seeing everyone drinking and having a good time. I can't do that ever again and it frightens me.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome teddy!
You be strong! You'll find a great deal of support here! Glad you stopped by.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Teddy, as you will find out, your not alone in the way you feel. Many great people are here to support and help you along the way. Many of us have found a way out. And those obsessions you have over drinking and bars are very strong at first. It may seem impossible to live sober. Stay strong and give it time. It does get better. AA was my way to sobriety. I don't think it would have been possible to stay sober s long as I have without the help of AA, and Sober Recovery. Check out the boards, learn all you can, and keep posting!
Old 11-04-2004, 08:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Teddy

It's not so much that I just want to sit down and have a beer, it's more walking by bars and seeing everyone drinking and having a good time. I can't do that ever again and it frightens me.
That will pass.Have you tried AA yet?They have a saying"we are not a glum lot.We have plenty of good times and fun in recovery.Look at as your life just begining.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY TEDDY,WELCOME.
I FIND ALOT TO DO THAT DOESN'T REQUIRE MISERY.
LOTS OF SUPPORT HERE.
A.A. IS A GREAT WAY TO MEET NEW PEOPLE.
GIVE IT A TRY,SEE WHAT YOU THINK.
STAY STRONG............ted
Old 11-04-2004, 11:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
new life

Hello Teddy, Congrads on your day six! In reading your post "never having" & "ever again", these phases would rattle me quite a bit, Myself, I cruise easier through my recovery with the "take one day at a time" ! Stay tough !

mike
Old 11-05-2004, 12:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Teddy!!! Trust me on this one Stay on the lighted path you are on. So many good things will come. You can have fun being sober Hell, I've been sober 11 days now and I remembered I was good at other things. I have never felt this confident in myself. Go to AA and stay in touch with us we will all guide each other the right way. That's what friends do. They want the best from their friends. Hop on our band wagon there's plenty of room. Excellent job on 6 days bro.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Connie

Welcome Teddy,

Congrats on your six days! AA has gotten me through one month; I know I couldn't do it alone. Good luck to you, one day at a time.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dan

I am horrified by the idea of never having another drink again....

Yeah, me too.
Then I heard all I had to think about was that I wasn't going to have a drink today.
Makes it easier for me. Try it.
Welcome to SoberRecovery Teddy.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Today is my 6th day too and I know what you mean about being horrified you won't ever have another drink. I am already thinking about what it going to be like during the first cocktail party I go to at a conference and they wonder why I am not drinking my usual glass of white wine. I am pondering the idea, CAN I just have one? Am I capable of doing that, but deep inside I know the demon has gotten me more times than I have gotten away with the one glass. Do I want to keep making an ass of myself in public by drinking too much? Of course not - so why is it that we don't want to give it up? My brain says I am too damn intelligent to let this get the best of me. Hang in there - there are lots of us at this first step in the journey.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome To SR

Here is a link to the AA Big Book On Line.

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt.cfm

Our Prayers will be with you !

Keegansdad- Morgan
Old 11-05-2004, 03:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hi teddy
i too cannot stand the thought of never drinking again, but we have to take it one day at a time, this evening i went to a fireworks display and it seemed like everyone was walking around with a drink in there hand, i have not touched a drop in just over 2 months now but when i got a smell of all that alcohol i started to feel a bit depressed at the thought of never having a drink again, but then i start think that since i stopped drinking i feel great when i wake instead of being hung over, i have more energy and have started to exercise also my wife has said i am a much nicer person these days not loosing my temper and generally being a pain in the ass all the time, so this has got to be better than hitting the bottle.
you are on day six so you are already over the hardest part.
stay strong and good luck.

dave
Old 11-05-2004, 05:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree with Dave,the hardest part is over,it was for me anyways,so far.I cant offer much advice because Im just beginning to get sober but lots of questions can be answered here,sometimes just by reading other peoples posts.Good luck
Old 11-05-2004, 06:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Teddy!

You'll find lots of support here, but maybe try an AA meeting or two. Remember, it's only one day at a time -- that's all we've got!

stick around!

Ken
Old 11-06-2004, 04:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ken,how you doing? Youre here so thats a good sign. I will send you an e later.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Teddy
congrats on Day 6 - it took a lot of guts to even begin on Day 1. Just try to 'keep it in the day'. Think too far ahead & if you're anything like me you'll panic.
When you look at all those folks out partying and having fun try to keep in mind that one or some of them may waken in the morning feeling those horrible feelings that brought you here. It doesn't seem so appealing now does it??
Try not sit and mope - I know it's hard but that's what I did all this week and I ended up feeling so sorry for poor me. Force yourself to do something - doesn't have to be much - even if it's only reading a book. Then when you've finished relax at having a job well done.
If you don't drink today you'll go to bed tonite feeling so relieved and when you wake up in the morning you'll feel so elated that you're sober and have another day under your belt.
Anyway - I'm off to scrub my cooker - I've put it off all week as I hate cleaning anything greasy but if I don't shift my backside it'll end up being condemned as a healthhazard. If I do just that today (and not drink) - I'll be well chuffed with myself. You know I actually thought I'd be justified in paying somebody to clean it for me since I'm no longer squandering money on booze - how lazy is that!!!!!!
Hang in there Teddy - you'll be glad you did.
Take Care
D. xxx